Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Any Discount Coupon Codes for the KSO (AKA how can I get a new one for cheap)

I'm thinking about buying Kindle with Special Offers to use as one
to experiment on. So I'd like to get it for as cheap as possible

Does anyone have any current coupon codes or the like for it.

Thank you

Last edited by Harry_Y; 06-24-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying Kindle with Special Offers to use as one
to experiment on.
I would only recommend getting a KSO because you want a KSO and are interested in the offers. Buying one for experimentation simply because it's cheaper will probably not end up being the advantage you think it is. If you want to experiment (hacking, installing unauthorized software/hardware, etc) on a Kindle, you'll probably have more success (and less headaches) with the standard model... even if it is $25 more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting thought, I already have 2 of the non ad versions,
but since I use them daily I don't want to mess with them.

On a side note, I found when you do a factory reset it
takes it back to just out of the box, it even unregistered it.

So I was thinking once I get done I should just be able
to do a factory reset and put it back to stock again.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
If you like audiobooks you can get the KSO for $14. Requires you to sign up with Audible's $14/month membership for 12 months but if it's something you do anyway it's not that big of a deal.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
If you like audiobooks you can get the KSO for $14. Requires you to sign up with Audible's $14/month membership for 12 months but if it's something you do anyway it's not that big of a deal.
Interesting, since I like to "listen" to books at work.

I would assume I can load the audio book on any of my kindles.

(any link to that?)
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, if you don't accidentally brick your device, you should be able do a factory reset.
However, I'm not sure that a factory reset removes/replaces every single file that the various hacks may install/modify.

The only reason I suggest using a standard Kindle is simply because of all the threads that have recently cropped up. You know the ones I mean. The ones where people who bought a KSO assuming they'd just be able to "do something" to them later, and are getting frustrated because not much is being "done" on that front? And things that they want to "do" just don't work on that model?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Interesting, since I like to "listen" to books at work.

I would assume I can load the audio book on any of my kindles.

(any link to that?)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=598985

ETA: Yes they'll work on the Kindles. Pretty nice too, I was playing around with it the other day.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=598985

ETA: Yes they'll work on the Kindles. Pretty nice too, I was playing around with it the other day.
I may do this and get another regular wi-fi (non ad)
kindle for my daughter she saw mine and asked for one.
(I think she feels I'm made of money)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
odiakkoh
Guru

Quote:
I may do this and get another regular wi-fi (non ad)
kindle for my daughter she saw mine and asked for one.
(I think she feels I'm made of money)
If you sign up for Audible through Amazon first (before signing up for the promotion) you can get 2 free audiobooks.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I would recommend the KSO to hack on. Its easy enough to turn into a regular Kindle Wifi
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I think it's rather tacky to buy a Kindle, mess around with it, then return it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think it's rather tacky to buy a Kindle, mess around with it, then return it.
I don't think that's what the OP was suggesting, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Harry_Y
Addict

No I plan to keep all 3, but after just signing up for Audible

I just ordered another 3G unit to give to my wife
now I can play with the wi-fi unit I already own.

Thanks all

Last edited by Harry_Y; 06-24-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:

I wanted to thank you for informing me of this

This is a great deal.

I'm all signed up and Kindle #3 has been ordered
Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
odiakkoh
Guru

Quote:
I wanted to thank you for informing me of this

This is a great deal.

I'm all signed up and Kindle #3 has been ordered
Congrats