Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
robot
Edge User

Custom firmware

So far I was able to sync LCD with E-ink screen (that mean that android can be used on e-ink side). But it's still very buggy and unusable.

The main problem at this time is a small resolution of LCD screen (1024*600 vs 1200*828 e-ink) The result -- picture is too small and small font is unreadable on e-ink ;(

I'll think about workaround. Also still looking for help from expirience programmers or other help.

Suggestions welcome.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
MichaelV
Edge User

well done robot. you achieved more than others here.

Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
keng2000
Edge User

I am not sure how EE used for sending web page to e-ink. but there are 2 options IMAGE and EPUB.

The second choice EPUB, EE may convert web page to EPUB and let the defaults Library open it automatically to e-ink.

Can you capture LCD screen and convert to e-pub and send to E-ink?
just post (or PM) the method and i hope many members may try to re-create the program.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
robot
Edge User

Conveting to PDF or EPUB is useless..., I'm trying to make Android ACTUALLY WORK on e-ink, so for example you can click on an link on web page and it will immidiatelly open new site on e-ink. Or play in chess on e-ink
But converting (like web-page to epub) mean that you at first wait for about 10 seconds (convertion takes time), and than get static page which you can only read (or edit) but nothing else.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
robot
Edge User

It cost me a lot of time, money e.t.c. but as suspected, I done it much faster then EE dev team even without SDK, source codes or any other help. So here's go screenshots which will give you much better idea of what you can do with EE )

e-ink with keyboard, full internet browsing, all file formats support e.t.c. Still very unstable, but I think that now it will not be so hard to finish it.

Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
robot
Edge User

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
fgruber
Edge User

that's awesome. So can you control the webpage from the eink? Or do you need to control it from the LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
It cost me a lot of time, money e.t.c. but as suspected, I done it much faster then EE dev team even without SDK, source codes or any other help. So here's go screenshots which will give you much better idea of what you can do with EE )

e-ink with keyboard, full internet browsing, all file formats support e.t.c. Still very unstable, but I think that now it will not be so hard to finish it.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
MichaelV
Edge User

I think after such fantastic results Edge should either employ you full time or take you into the development team. shame lcd and eink screens are not the same size!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
walt526
Edge User

Looks cool! Have you figured out how you'll distribute it and/or how much you're going to charge for it?

But about the tweaks to the firmware... what happens when enTourage releases an update? Would an update wipe out your modifications until you tweak the update to include the added functionality?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
MichaelV
Edge User

Hi robot can you use the digitiser to control the page on e-ink. this firmware opens the device to a new dimension. if one person can do this without sdk imagine what can be achieved with SDK by community/ programmers. a perfect device.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
done
Edge User

Robot,

The work you've done looks absolutely incredible (you can be sure I will be forwarding this thread to the developers). I can't wait to see what you will be able to do once we release the source code and SDK.

What is the response time like for Android on the eInk - can you control everything via the e-Ink or is it just a rendering of what is on the LCD side?

Can't wait to see your finished product!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
D4N14L
Edge User

Maybe robot could collaborate with enTourage dev team on the next firmware release? I know that robot wants to see froyo too. Please?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
summatusmentis
Edge User

This is incredibly intriguing. Nicely done sir.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
cheyennedonna
Edge User

All I can say is WOW. I'm always intrigued by the things a developer can do. Wish I had more time to learn.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
canezila
Edge User

That is great robot! Keep up the great work!!