Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #31
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"Keep your pecker up!" is a harmless phrase in my dictionary English-German from 1977. The meaning is "Keep your head up" or "Don't hang your head."

So in your second example it could be:

‘All right,’ the parrot answered; ‘keep your head up!
‘What did it say?’ the Pretenderette asked.
‘Something about head,’ said Philip upside down.
‘Ah!’ said the Pretenderette with satisfaction, ‘he won’t need his head anymore for some time to come.'

But it's not the same playing with words.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd actually say that "Keep your pecker up!" is more akin to "Keep your spirits up!"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd actually say that "Keep your pecker up!" is more akin to "Keep your spirits up!"
Yes, that's exactly what it means.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 AM   #34
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it means.
To some people in some places at some periods of history. To other people in different places at different times it can mean something very different - which I think was GrannyGrump's concern in the first post in this thread.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #35
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Alex understands my pain.

In the US, the phrase *only* has an obscene meaning, sorry to say.

@George --- your re-write was much better than anything I ever managed! I have already posted the book with the original vocabulary/wording, but one day soon I will edit it your way, and post as an alternative download, marked as *cleansed for young readers*. Thanks.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #36
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I have another example, and hope no one is offended by it.

I'm preparing Harriet Martineau's Autobiography for the MR library, and have got as far as Period 6, Section 7. This afternoon I reached this sentence:

'Of Mr Dickens I have seen but little in face-to-face intercourse; but I am glad to have enjoyed that little.'

I'm sure Miss Martineau did not intend to convey the meaning which most people in our times would read into her words. Anyone have any suggestions for alternate wording?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why on earth would you feel the need to change that? "Intercourse" simply means a connection or communication between people. It's an entirely normal and everyday word. Anyone who automatically associates "intercourse" with "sexual intercourse" is just ignorant.

It's one thing editing books for children; it's another thing entirely to pander to the ignorant adult. I'd strongly suggest leaving this one well alone.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-26-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ditto.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I have another example, and hope no one is offended by it.

I'm preparing Harriet Martineau's Autobiography for the MR library, and have got as far as Period 6, Section 7. This afternoon I reached this sentence:

'Of Mr Dickens I have seen but little in face-to-face intercourse; but I am glad to have enjoyed that little.'

I'm sure Miss Martineau did not intend to convey the meaning which most people in our times would read into her words. Anyone have any suggestions for alternate wording?
They met in New Jersey?
I also see no reason to change it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would have to agree.

The current modern meaning of "intercourse" remains "communication or dealings between individuals or groups".

The fact that some people automatically expand "intercourse" to the subclass of "sexual intercourse" is irrelevant.

At the very least, people will know exactly what it means. Although I suppose, yes, there will be immature individuals who will say "hur hur, intercourse!"
They probably say the same thing when filling out paperwork and getting to the question:

Quote:
sex:
__ male
__ female
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There is a town called "Intercourse" in Pennsylvania, so it would certainly appear that its meaning to the American reader is not automatically a sexual one.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 AM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that doesn't prove anything. We have a lot of incredibly bizarre names.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No, that doesn't prove anything. We have a lot of incredibly bizarre names.
Given the fact, though, that Pennsylvania was largely settled by the Quakers, it's probably a reasonable assumption that they named the town "Intercourse" after the idea of people gathering together into a community, rather than any sexual meaning .
Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Their Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse,_Pennsylvania
At least, it proves the word had no sexual meaning back when the Quakers named it!
For proof that the word still has no exclusive sexual meaning, one must look to other sources.

But of course, I despair for humanity when I see that such a place becomes a tourist attraction for the abovementioned immature individuals.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
And I put Intercourse in the wrong state.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote