Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #31
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I was at Best Buy today and checked out the Nook-I wasn't too impressed lol.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #32
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
B&N needs to train their employees better on the nook. I was in my local store yesterday to get a 2nd for my wife and the lady behind the counter probably couldn't even spell nook. If they want to increase instore sales, every employee should be an expert on the nook - including things not related to B&N.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
B&N's response is to create their own proprietary DRM to lock people into their store and their device.
One does not have to buy eBook from B&N if one has a nook. The nook also handles the standard adept DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #34
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
B&N needs to train their employees better on the nook. I was in my local store yesterday to get a 2nd for my wife and the lady behind the counter probably couldn't even spell nook. If they want to increase instore sales, every employee should be an expert on the nook - including things not related to B&N.
How did she spell nook? nock? noak?
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #35
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
B&N is smart to devote some real resources to promoting the Nook on home territory. They have a network of over 2000 B&N stores -- it's good to see the commitment of substantial display space. The buying season really ramps up in late summer so their timing is appropriate.

I certainly won't be buying a Nook, but, then again, B&N refuses to sell me one in Canada, or any e-books. However, the US as a stand-alone market is certainly worth fighting for and, I suppose, other territories might follow.

Then there are other retail outlets: Best Buy for one. Both Nook models appear to be widely in stock in stores (using BB stock checking tool) so if you want one, you can easily get one. In contrast, Kindles are in Target and HMS Host (111 airports around the world); arguably Best Buy is a more logical venue. Having said that, there is no evidence of Kindle at Target's website ... but lots of models and accessories from Sony.

While Amazon is doing everything it can to claim dominance, B&N has significant opportunities for the remainder of the year and taking steps like these nationwide kiosks suggest it is in for keeps. Competition is good.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One does not have to buy eBook from B&N if one has a nook. The nook also handles the standard adept DRM.
This is the thing that sold me on the nook. First of all their DRM is based on the very fair Credit Card type eReader DRM that doesn't limit your devices, but they go the extra mile to give you the option to use standard adept DRM so you can buy from any independent ePub seller and use the public library. You can bypass B&N as a seller completely if you want to and this is a big risk since they obviously want to be your ebook store.

I hope they can survive, because competition is good and we need more than just Amazon and Apple dominating the market.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think that the Nook is in danger of failing. It is a good device that allows people to read good books. Competition is a good thing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #38
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Pushing the Nook through their retail stores is a good approach. A lot of customers are hesistant to buy a product especially from internet without first trying it out since returns can be a hassle. Even though Kindle is also sold in Target, all of the Target stores that I visited do not have a Kindle display. Also, the Target return policy is not up to par. They offer 3 month return as long as the product is still new and unopened in the box. I was very interested in the Kindle first but I ended up buying a Nook from Best Buy.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #39
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
<<Even though Kindle is also sold in Target, all of the Target stores that I visited do not have a Kindle display. Also, the Target return policy is not up to par. They offer 3 month return as long as the product is still new and unopened in the box.>>

You have to wonder who would buy any product and leave it unopened in the box for three months.

At my local Target, the Kindle display was on the aisle about 135 feet from the books section, among the cell phone accessories. It displayed a shelf of cases for the Kindle. The actual item was in a locked cabinet underneath, in boxes so that you couldn't even see it, and the clerk was not agreeable to opening it up.

My point on the DRM isn't against the nook, which does allow purchases from other retailers, such as Kobobooks. My question is, "On what ereaders can you read ebooks you buy from B&N?" I haven't been able to figure out how to put a B&N-purchased ebook on my Kobo. Can this be done?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #40
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
My question is, "On what ereaders can you read ebooks you buy from B&N?" I haven't been able to figure out how to put a B&N-purchased ebook on my Kobo. Can this be done?
Only if you like to read erotica from Samhain & Ellora's Cave.

All their nook books that I've downloaded so far seem to have no DRM and open happily in regular ePub/pdb viewers. But those were promo freebie versions. I wouldn't know about the regular retail offerings.

But seriously, most B&N books can't currently be used outside their own reader/apps without stripping.

However, I think it's been rumoured that future implementations of ADE-DRM will include some sort of compatibility option that will allow supporting devices to use B&N-DRM as well, so hopefully that'll eventually show up in a firmware upgrade.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Only if you like to read erotica from Samhain & Ellora's Cave.

All their nook books that I've downloaded so far seem to have no DRM and open happily in regular ePub/pdb viewers. But those were promo freebie versions. I wouldn't know about the regular retail offerings.

But seriously, most B&N books can't currently be used outside their own reader/apps without stripping.

However, I think it's been rumoured that future implementations of ADE-DRM will include some sort of compatibility option that will allow supporting devices to use B&N-DRM as well, so hopefully that'll eventually show up in a firmware upgrade.
What I'd like to know is if a non-DRM'd epub is put onto a Nook, can it be read on the Nook? I'm picking up a Nook for my mom and she's gotten interested in several series which I converted from .mobi to .epub for her Sony PRS-500...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #42
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
What I'd like to know is if a non-DRM'd epub is put onto a Nook, can it be read on the Nook? I'm picking up a Nook for my mom and she's gotten interested in several series which I converted from .mobi to .epub for her Sony PRS-500...

Derek
Yes - it will read those epubs without a problem. I have several converted books, now in epub. No issues.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #43
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
I put about 500 epubs on my Nook this week, none from B&N.
Several converted from PDF using Calibre.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #44
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
But...can you buy a DRMed ebook at B&N and put it on your Kobo or other ereader?

If so, I'd like to know how.

If not, they are missing sales.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #45
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
My point on the DRM isn't against the nook, which does allow purchases from other retailers, such as Kobobooks. My question is, "On what ereaders can you read ebooks you buy from B&N?" I haven't been able to figure out how to put a B&N-purchased ebook on my Kobo. Can this be done?
The JetBook and JetBook Light can read BN ebooks (both epub and eReader) as well as Adobe Epub and pdf.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote