Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #31
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
@DiapDealer

You're right. Sigil is guilty of nothing. It's merely a fact that, I use jre for ODTImport and I need to get rid of this link every new jre version to get Sigil running. No more than that. I have just to be aware of this, I do not consider to be "bitten".
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The OpenJDK package includes a jre. One that should work properly.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The OpenJDK package includes a jre. One that should work properly.
That's what I figure, too (though I've not tested it with the plugin in question).

Why use the unsupported aur package that you have to remember to "patch" after every update, when you can very likely use the supported OpenJDK package (from Extra) and forget about it? *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #34
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why use the unsupported aur package that you have to remember to "patch" after every update, when you can very likely use the supported OpenJDK package (from Extra) and forget about it? *shrug*
@roger64: I've installed OpenJDK (jre8-openjdk and jdk8-openjdk) on my Arch Linux machine and never encountered any problems with it. You might want to give it a try.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for confirming!
Advert
Old 04-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For further reference, the following note/warning has been added to the jre 9.x.x aur package's installer script:

Note that in the event where the jre 9.x.x aur package is an absolute requirement, removing the above symlink is sufficient to restore Sigil (and other programs)'s ability to run.

The Arch-supported OpenJDK 9 package does not install a Java NPAPI browser plugin. The extra package "icedtea-web" provides a Java browser plugin for OpenJDK (and doesn't appear to crash qt5 webkit programs).
Oh wow, that again.

This is... arguably a bug in the jre package's inclusion of broken stuff, but I don't really expect that AUR maintainer to make the sensible call there... one more reason why people should stick with the tried-and-tested packages in the official repos. Including broken java web plugins is sort of questionable judgment.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Oh wow, that again.

This is... arguably a bug in the jre package's inclusion of broken stuff, but I don't really expect that AUR maintainer to make the sensible call there... one more reason why people should stick with the tried-and-tested packages in the official repos. Including broken java web plugins is sort of questionable judgment.
Webkit isn't entirely blameless in this either. It's often looking to load plugins' shared libraries from hardcoded paths--even when web plugins have been disabled via the api.

Othewise, I entirely agree. I don't install much of anything from the AUR anymore.