Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #76
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Free

The End of the Middle Ages
by A. Mary F. Robinson

The Papal Schism, the Medicis, Valentine Visconti, and more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VG4A0/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N8VG4A0/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N8VG4A0/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_...rances_Duclaux
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...2C%201857-1944
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #77
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Endeavour, free

Scotland Yard's First Cases
by Joan Lock

When Scotland Yard’s first detective branch was set up in 1842 crime was very different from today.

The favoured murder weapon was the cut-throat razor; carrying a pocket watch was dangerous; the most significant clue at a murder scene could be the whereabouts of a candlestick or hat; large households (family, servants and lodgers) complicated many a case and servants sometimes murdered their masters.
Detectives had few aids and suffered many disadvantages.
The bloody handprints found at two early murder scenes were of no help, there being no way of telling whether blood (or hair) was human or animal.

Fingerprinting was fifty years away, DNA profiling another hundred and photography was too new to help with identification.
The detectives had no transport and were expected to walk the first three miles on any enquiry before catching an omnibus or cab and trying to recoup the fares.
All reports had to be handwritten with a dip pen and ink and the only means of keeping contact with colleagues and disseminating information was by post, horseback or foot.
In spite of these handicaps and severe press criticism, the detectives achieved some significant successes.

Includes such classic cases as the First Railway Murder, as well as many fascinating, fresh reports, weaving in new developments like the electric telegraph against a background of authentic Victorian police procedure.

Joan Lock has also written eight crime novels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7I8ETM/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N7I8ETM/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N7I8ETM/

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01N7I8ETM/
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #78
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
No ratings at Amazon. You won't find any at GoodReads, either. Reason probably being that it was published just two months ago.

Thanks.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #79
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
No ratings at Amazon. You won't find any at GoodReads, either. Reason probably being that it was published just two months ago.

Thanks.
Published (London, T. F. Unwin, 1889)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53475

(Gutenberg) Release Date 7 Nov 2016
Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #80
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Published (London, T. F. Unwin, 1889)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53475

(Gutenberg) Release Date 7 Nov 2016
I didn't notice that it was a reprint.

I believe that Amazon begins to accept reviews on a book only after the release date, which as you noted is November 7 of last year. So, it seems to me, that that still could be the reason that there are no reviews/ratings there yet.

The fact that there are no ratings at GoodReads is surprising to me, however. If I am not mistaken (and I certainly could be), they will use ratings from other editions, in order to come up with an average rating for a particular, different edition. Without going to one of several websites which provide the publishing history of books, I don't know if there were any printings of this book after the one of 1889. If, however, there weren't any printings of it from 1889 until November of last year, there likely would not be any ratings at GoodReads.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #81
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
I didn't notice that it was a reprint.
It's probably harder to tell when the publisher lies, and claims a 2016 copyright like Laconia did. When there's more than one Kindle edition, especially when the Kindle editions are from multiple publishers, it's almost certainly in the public domain. I think a few publishers mining the PD do it themselves, but a lot just start with versions out of PD ebook libraries, like the one here and Project Gutenberg, although I'm sure a lot probably start with OCR of scans at archive.org, Google and Hathi Trust.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #82
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Free

The End of the Middle Ages
by A. Mary F. Robinson

The Papal Schism, the Medicis, Valentine Visconti, and more.
May need to brush up on my German, since the text includes large sections in that and Latin, which the author expected any learned person would be able to read.

It may be that "no one can burn the Truth!", but I'll have to limp along with Google translate to find that out.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #83
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

DK Publishing is offering a free PDF "book," called Where to Go When:
We’ve Got a Trip Idea for Every Month of the Year

Planning to travel more in 2017? From Jamaica in January to Nepal in March or Tuscany, in October you can discover where you should go when. Get inspired for your 2017 travels with our free ebook.

To call it a "book" is really stretching it, because there are only 28 or so pages. However, those pages are packed tight with helpful text, and where there's no text, there are beautiful photos. It is a book or excerpt (probably excerpt) of one of DK Publishing's books in the DK Eyewitness Travel series. I'm not going to fool myself--I'm sure that they're offering this little free book to lure people to buy their larger such publications.

DK is a division of Penguin Random House. I think that DK is a Great Britain-domiciled business. I have been impressed for several years with the truly outstanding color printing that has been coming from across the Pond.

This should be a direct link to the PDF.

Now I need to find a book on Where to Find the Money and Time to Go Where You Want When. ha

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #84
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
{edited}

Now I need to find a book on Where to Find the Money and Time to Go Where You Want When. ha
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #85
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

HUGE, Highly-Rated Book, and Only 99 Cents--Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour.

This book looked suspiciously like a public domain reprint. It isn't. The title page gives a copyright date of 1991, and the author is from relatively modern times. Too, a division or sister company, Albion, is the one which usually, if not always, handles those, instead of Endeavor, the publisher of this book.

This book is huge--Nearly 1000 pages (do not adjust your monitor or screen--that's 1000 pages). The ratings are nearly through the roof. And what an amazing value, with the price being an almost unbelievably low 99 cents.

Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Hour. By William C. Davis (I wonder if he's any kin to Jefferson Davis? You may have to read in the book to find out. So will I). Rated 4.8 stars, but from only 18 reviews at Amazon at the present moment; rated 4.09, from 68 raters at GoodReads (that's excellent, for them). Print list price N/A; digital list price $3.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Endeavor Press, publisher. 928 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Jefferson-Dav.../dp/B01NCLG9BL.

Book Description
“If the Confederacy falls, there should be written on its tombstone, ‘Died of a theory.’”

As divisive a figure then as he is now, history remembers Jefferson Davis as the ill-fated President of the Confederate States of America.

Like the Roman God Janus, he had two faces: considered cold, aloof, petty, obstinate and vindictive, he was also witty, intelligent, affectionate, impervious to fear and loyal to a fault.

Raised in Mississippi, at his brother’s behest he entered West Point and began the first of two Army careers; in the 1850s he would be named Secretary of War by Franklin Pierce.

A staunch defender of slavery, Davis was an unusual owner: he encouraged them to learn new skills, administer their own justice and provided them with a comfortable living.

Yet Davis did not fully comprehend human nature. To him his logic was irrefutable, and he was never able to see how his remarks, while not necessarily ill-meant, might cause offence.

However, his life was plagued by sickness and grief. In addition to his own health issues his first wife died tragically young, as did four of his six children with his second.

A complex portrait of a complex man, William C. Davis’ endeavour methodically explores the life of the leader of the Lost Cause and how the man was made.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-20-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 AM   #86
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Gtrs! I've picked that one up.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #87
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks Gtrs! I've picked that one up.
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know how that one would go over with MobileReaders.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #88
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE IRS Publications of Interest to Those Who Filed Taxes for TY2015.

I was having a lot of trouble falling asleep, so I went to irs.gov to read some of the U.S. tax code, thinking that it might help me fall asleep. Worked like a charm, I was "out like a light." j/k<---I'm joking.

Sometimes I like to post something unusual, but still of potential interest to MobileReaders. I did, in fact, go to irs.gov, but I did so looking for some information for my elderly mother about a possible particular tax deduction that she might be able to take (she's not computerized--yet). I had success. And in the process of doing that I noticed several featured free ebooks published by the IRS (Internal Revenue Service, for those of you who are from outside of the U.S.).

Three of them actually pertain to Tax Year 2015, and were posted by the IRS after the tax year was actually over. It quickly occurred to me that there might be in those books some tax deductions for 2015 passed by Congress after TY2015 was over (yes, Congress can do that, and they sometimes do it), that peeps were not aware of when they filed their 2015 taxes on or before April 15 or so. Obviously, at least something had changed, or the IRS would not have published a revised publication concerning it. Then, I thought, "possible money back," if a person filed an amended return. That really got my attention.

So, I thought that I would list the applicable publications, and give you the URL for the webpage where you can download them. Make sure that you have selected the "ebooks" tab. I think that all of the publications will all be in the ePub format. Again, they are all free to download.
- Instructions for Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (2015).
- Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax (For individuals) (2015).
- Publication 501: Exemptions, Standard Deductions, and Filing Information (2015).
- Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income (2015)

Again, the IRS webpage that you can go to to find the links for these publications is here. Again, make sure that the "ebooks" tab is selected. And, oh, there are plenty more IRS publications that you can download for free. Just look for the blue button that says "Browse all eBooks" and click on it. There are so many that it would make a CPA or IRS auditor think that he or she had died and gone to heaven!

I hope that one or more of you benefits from them. In case you are one who will file an amended return for 2015, because of information that you got from the publications, and gets money back, I would be happy to accept any tips. Just send them to GtrsRGr8, c/o MobileRead.com. 'Course, if they cause you to have to pay more in taxes, I'm not liable.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-24-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #89
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Two free Charles River Editors books:

The Glorious Revolution: The History of the Overthrow of King James II of England by William of Orange.

The Guillotine: The History of the World’s Most Notorious Method of Execution.

That's all of the (free) ones that I see right now.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #90
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Put on wrong thread. D'oh!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-25-2017 at 02:14 AM.