Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
National Geographic Recipes

Anyone else using the recipes? Today I added them to my schedule and though the fetches were successful--the product was underwhelming? For the regular (1st recipe of the 4 NG offered in list) recipe, all the articles were blank when I clicked on the links in the main section.

For the NG Magazine, there were only two sections downloaded. The links in the Features section led to full stories. The only link in the Cover section though led to a blank page--no story.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Example of link leading to non-story:

| Next | Section Menu | Main Menu | Previous |
This article was downloaded by calibre from http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...g-conservation

| Section Menu | Main Menu |
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Yes, me too.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e9b3d1cb16385d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid, does that mean you changed the recipe? I fetched NG and again, no cover story. In fact this time, there isn't even a link.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Kovid, does that mean you changed the recipe? I fetched NG and again, no cover story. In fact this time, there isn't even a link.
It means he changed it, but you need to go get it from that link. Otherwise it will update with the weekly Calibre update.
Advert
Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It means he changed it, but you need to go get it from that link. Otherwise it will update with the weekly Calibre update.
Forgive me...but how do I go about doing that?

Edit:

Think the instructions can be found here? I'll try it after work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121439

Last edited by tdonline; 09-10-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Forgive me...but how do I go about doing that?

Edit:

Think the instructions can be found here? I'll try it after work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121439
Usually, if not always, Kovid supplies the updated recipes with the new update of Calibre on Friday. Go ahead and try it, but worst case you will get it tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I believe that calibre downloads updated recipes when they are used.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I believe that calibre downloads updated recipes when they are used.
I have not seen that, unless it is a new feature recently. As you know, when you are offered a new version of Calibre, the changelog mentions which recipes have been updated. I may be wrong but...
Old 09-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well I've just done tests and I sure as heck seem to get the updated recipe. Why not try it yourself. And as far as I know, updated recipes are ALWAYS downloaded.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The builtin copy bundled with calibre is mainly useful for knowing what recipes exist (and customizing it) since the first thing the recipe subsystem does is download the latest version of the recipe from calibre-ebook.com
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The builtin copy bundled with calibre is mainly useful for knowing what recipes exist (and customizing it) since the first thing the recipe subsystem does is download the latest version of the recipe from calibre-ebook.com
So, you are saying the recipe updates are applied whenever Calibre is opened? If so, that is fine. However, then why would Kovid sent a link to github when he fixes a recipe? Why the extra step?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The recipes are automatically updated (within a hour of the fix), and I use a link to github for pretty much all calibre fixes I make in response to forum posts, not just recipes, I have a shortcut setup in my browser that allows me to do that with a couple of keypresses
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
NSILMike
Guru

Ah, thanks.
Update: It just failed, at about 2 minutes. I am running it again to confirm...

SplitError: Could not find reasonable point at which to split: feed_0/article_7/index_u19.html Sub-tree size: 1290 KB

Update 2: Yup, failed again. Same failure mode.

Last edited by NSILMike; 09-11-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It just occurred to me, if this is correct (and I'm not doubting it) what happens to any recipe customizations a user makes? In other words, the user will need to go back in and redo them, right? (For instance, on a couple of recipes that are very big, I've customized them to download only articles that are less than 1 or 2 days old for example, which makes sense for something you download daily.) Or, does the customized recipe get used, and therefore the updates are bypassed until the user switches to the new recipe?

Last edited by NSILMike; 09-11-2015 at 11:33 AM.