Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #31
PBee
PBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
It's for sure we each have our preferences. For the past two weeks I've been using both a Kindle2 and the Cybook to figure which I would prefer. Yesterday I returned the Cybook. They are both good devices, each with its own merits, I simply preferred the Kindle.
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #32
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You learn to adapt. I have a Sony PRS-505 and I will only let it go if Sony offers a better product. I love the form factor and would never sell it for a Kindle. I had a kindle 1 and sold it the day of the Kindle 2 announcement and then ordered a Kindle 2. I really loved my K1 but I was not as attached to it as my PRS-505 since it was my reader of preference. Now the K2 is different, I'm actually very attach to it and can't imagine letting it go. Between the K2 and PRS-505, I have the perfect readers for my need. There are some positives in owning 2 readers: since the Sony don't have user replaceable battery, I actually had to send it back for service a month before my warranty wore out and I was happy to have my kindle. I also sold the K1 on Feb 9th and sent it to the new owner on Feb 10th, did not receive the K2 until Feb 27th but it was no problem since I had the PRS-505.

I would think adapting to something means you had something prior that you were used to and then had to adapt to a new item. I never had any other reader (aside from a PDA), so I don't think adapt is the right word. It is just all I know. I'm sure if I had a Sony or another reader instead, I would like it just as much. I'm not one to form prejudices over devices. As long as it does the job I want it to do, I'm fine.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
Well I bought a sony again, and all is good Overall I think the thing I like about Sony is being able to hold it one-handed with either hand, and control pages with my thumb, whilst in case. I don't even think Kindle 2 can accomplish that feat, easily.
Yes, it does. I frequently read my Kindle 2 (and my Kindle 1) with one hand (left hand even) and turn the pages with my thumb.

The trick to these discussions, I think, is avoid making these big claims.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #34
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yes, it does. I frequently read my Kindle 2 (and my Kindle 1) with one hand (left hand even) and turn the pages with my thumb.

The trick to these discussions, I think, is avoid making these big claims.
I agree. I think ergonomics are highly subjective. I found the Kindle 1 very natural to use and frequently use it one-handed. I don't have the issues with inadvertent page turns that many complained of when it first came out. My husband did. He eventually adjusted and is now quite happy with his Kindle but when he first got it, he had to adjust from the way he was used to holding books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #35
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I read one-handed with either Kindle but I have big hands so that may make a difference.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #36
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I read one-handed with either Kindle but I have big hands so that may make a difference.

I think you may be right. I have small hands and couldn't use the Kindle one-handed. Ergonomics are highly personal.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #37
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think you may be right. I have small hands and couldn't use the Kindle one-handed. Ergonomics are highly personal.
You must have pretty small hands.

Take your right (or left) hand and slide it at a 45 degree angle from the bottom corner of the Kindle 2 upwards, with your fingers sliding up the back of the K2. When the edge of the K2 comes into contact with the side of your palm near your thumb, bend the thumb over the top of it and rest it on the next page button. And there you go. You can move your hand up or down the edge, cupping the corner or not, whichever is more convenient. If you have really small hands you might not be able to reach the upper button easily, but Next Page should be no problem.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #38
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My 11yo daughter can't read the Kindle one-handed and her hands are smallish. Probably average for her age but small compared to my *man* hands.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I think if you're looking for a better reading experience the Kindle 1 is going to disappoint.

The reason to go with the Kindle (especially the Kindle 1 over the Kindle 2) is selection. I think the Kindle 2 can definitely hold its own against any of the Sony devices, but if it wasn't for the Amazon store (and personally I think the buttons are MUCH better on the Kindle than the 505) the Sony device is probably a better consumer product.
Are you sure? the K2 might hold it's own against the 505, but, unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in my jacket pocket, so it would stay at home, gathering dust. I'm amazed that more people haven't commented about the fact that the K2 is ginormous, even bigger than the K1, which wasn't all the svelte to begin with. If it had an 8" screen, I'd forgive it, but the screen is the same size as the Sony.

Other than that, I really like the K2 industrial design. It's very pretty, especially considering it's parentage. Still too big though.

My perfect device would be an 8" screen, with almost no bezel, making it the same size as a paperback. Put the page turn button on the actual side of the device (and make it a rocker) Do it on both sides, and you're done. That, truly would be a device that just gets out of my way and lets me read my books. I don't want an mp3 player, dictionary, notetaker, internet browser. I want an electronic book reader.

You see, the answer to today's overabundance of technology isn't fewer useless gadgets, it's more useless features in fewer usable gadgets...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-N2VNyl-Xg
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #40
andromeda
andromeda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I don't think the page turning is quite as easy on the K2 as the K1. However... for some it was tooooooo easy on the K1. They over corrected on the K2. I can live with it, however. What I would like. A really decent, usable, functional PDF reader, writer.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #41
TMohr
TMohr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It’s definitely what you’re used to.

I’m new to e-readers and was able to pull my K2 out of the box and use it right away without any instructions. If you handed me a different e-reader of course I’d look for stuff in the same place the K2 has it first.
TMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #42
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
I don't think the page turning is quite as easy on the K2 as the K1. However... for some it was tooooooo easy on the K1. They over corrected on the K2. I can live with it, however. What I would like. A really decent, usable, functional PDF reader, writer.
Its little things like that are for whatever reason ignored by Amazon.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #43
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have to agree with you somewhat on this. I had a Sony 505 and when the Kindle 1 was released I bought that and gave the 505 to a friend. The longer I used the Kindle 1, the more I hated it. It seems they just threw it together as a test, an expensive one I must say. Once the Kindle 2 was released, I bought that and gave away my Kindle 1. I have to say it's a huge improvement over the 1, but the display is washy and hard to read.

I'd replace my Kindle 2 with another Sony 505, but I recently disassembled and hurled in the recycle my last Windows machine and the sony store is not Mac friendly. I simply refuse to ever use anything from Microsoft ever again so until Sony comes around or another reader becomes Mac friendly, I'll stick with my Kindle 2.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #44
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenzhov View Post
I have to say it's a huge improvement over the 1, but the display is washy and hard to read.
Could you possibly have the sunlight fading effect some K2s had? Some of them faded drastically and permanently with exposure to light. It was a manufacturing defect where a run of units didn't have adequate filtering on the screen. They've been good about replacing. The screen should look pretty much the same as the 505. If it doesn't, you should contact support.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #45
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I don't think you're trolling, this is a perfectly valid place to rant or whine or whatever so long as it's topical.

Anyhow I have a Kindle 1.0 but I wish I had bought the PRS-505. In my mind they're pretty much the same thing, with one major point in favor of each.

Amazon has the online store and the Sony has native PDF compatibility. After owning this thing about six months, I would use the native PDF mode more than I have the Amazon store, seeing as I have spent exactly $1. All of my books have been free, converted LIT books or library books or - which I have to convert to read them. Most library books are PDF.

Also, the buttons are annoying. I can barely handle the thing without turning a page by accident.

Don't get me wrong, despite all that I love the Kindle. I use it daily and the display is wonderful. As I said, they're pretty much the same thing with a few key differences. None are enough to make me get rid of it. I can't fathom why anybody would trade a 505 for a Kindle, or vise-versa. Once you have one of them there's no compelling reason to switch, since the reading experience is pretty much the same. That's my take anyway.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote