Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #61
IvyR
IvyR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Nook Glowlight Plus
This is good news. I'm glad Nook is still going strong. I've ordered and it should be here very soon. My prior nook will go to my best friend, who has expressed interest in a refurbished one. I'm excited. It's a good time for book lovers.
IvyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #62
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyR View Post
This is good news. I'm glad Nook is still going strong. I've ordered and it should be here very soon. My prior nook will go to my best friend, who has expressed interest in a refurbished one. I'm excited. It's a good time for book lovers.
I see you have the new Oasis. It would be interesting to hear a comparison when you have both devices.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Well, I won't be buying one because I switched to Amazon after BN made it hard to download ebooks. But, I would like to. I have a soft spot for the Nook.
Calibre and Alf would make it trivial for you to hop back and forth between Nook and Amazon, regardless of where you bought your books. That's worked for many of us here and is the way e-book buying should be.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #64
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Still have my STR and it is still working well. Although, I think a lighted display (Glow) would make a difference for night reading. I have always preferred a dedicated e-reader to the screen on a tablet.

Will have to look at this on a BF special.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #65
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd guess the page turn buttons they used prevented waterproofing.
i don't think this is a technical problem. the new oasis has similar buttons and amazon was able to make it waterproof. b&n just didn't invest more into it for one reason or another.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #66
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Calibre and Alf would make it trivial for you to hop back and forth between Nook and Amazon, regardless of where you bought your books. That's worked for many of us here and is the way e-book buying should be.
I know. I have used Calibre and the Tools for many years. I just think one e-ink device is enough for me and I am happy with my Voyage. Since most prices are the same, I prefer to buy from the vendor that makes my device. I am not even sure how to go about backing up anything I buy from Barnes & Noble anymore.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #67
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'd like to know if the dictionary in this new Nook is grayed out like it is on my Glowlight Plus, making it hard for me to read. I use the dictionary a lot.

The dictionary and the capacative home button where show stopper features for me. I have a Glowlight Plus and like it except for those problems. As it is I rarely use it.

I'd appreciate if one of you will let us know if the dictionary is normal text or very pale gray text. I'd be tempted to get one if it's normal and if Wolf changes his mind about it being rubbish.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Still have my STR and it is still working well. Although, I think a lighted display (Glow) would make a difference for night reading. I have always preferred a dedicated e-reader to the screen on a tablet.

Will have to look at this on a BF special.
My first reader was the Nook ST with glowlight. Before then, I thought readers were neat, but not something I was interested in. The addition of a lighted screen made a big difference for me.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i don't think this is a technical problem. the new oasis has similar buttons and amazon was able to make it waterproof. b&n just didn't invest more into it for one reason or another.
Oh, I know it's a cost benefit analysis. The Oasis has both, but the Oasis also costs a little more than double the new Nook.

Of the two choices, buttons will likely have more day to day impact on the user. Waterproofing, you don't need until you do

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-03-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I know. I have used Calibre and the Tools for many years. I just think one e-ink device is enough for me and I am happy with my Voyage. Since most prices are the same, I prefer to buy from the vendor that makes my device. I am not even sure how to go about backing up anything I buy from Barnes & Noble anymore.
As an experiment, a few months ago I downloaded a Nook book using the Nook for Windows 10 app and was able to import it and remove DRM with no problems. The biggest problem I had was figuring out which folder the app squirreled the file away in.

Since B&N sells books as ePub, I could be tempted to move back to them. I just haven't yet.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'd like to know if the dictionary in this new Nook is grayed out like it is on my Glowlight Plus, making it hard for me to read. I use the dictionary a lot.

The dictionary and the capacative home button where show stopper features for me. I have a Glowlight Plus and like it except for those problems. As it is I rarely use it.

I'd appreciate if one of you will let us know if the dictionary is normal text or very pale gray text. I'd be tempted to get one if it's normal and if Wolf changes his mind about it being rubbish.
When I looked at the screenshots of the new device the capacitive home button was the first thing I thought of! I like the Nook's home button and never had a problem on my Nook STwG, but I could see how a non-raised button in that same space could cause trouble. It looks to be raised on the new device.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #72
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think I read that there is no Home button now, that it's all done in the software interface. I still haven't found out about the dictionary. Hopefully they didn't repeat that mistake. On my Nook Glowlight Plus the definition pops up in text far too light for me to read easily. I can manage it but with a lot of difficulty and it takes a while.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Where did you read that? The orange light is variable on the Nook according to Engadget (The GlowLight 3 will automatically and gradually switch its front light from a daytime cool white light to a warmer, orange-toned glow for nighttime reading) and B&N (Mimics the sun’s natural progression throughout the day.)
And if you find it's too orange to suit you, you are screwed. With Kobo's light, you can adjust the amount of the orange light to suit. I think B&N really screwed this up by not giving a variable setting for the orange light.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
This new one looks like a cross between the ST and the Glowlight.
And the STR was a very poor design. The rubber was awful and the rounded corners are ugly and the oversize bezel is awful. Overall, a very poor design. I don't see why B&N would use is again.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks a LOT like the Nook Simple Touch which, in my opinion, is one of the most comfortable eReaders to hold and use. I'm very happy to see Barnes & Noble is not (yet) abandoning the eInk device business.
The STR is one of the worst Readers to hold. I have one and it's not nice at all.