Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #16
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the best edition of War and Peace?
I think you have to read it in the original Russian, check back with us after you've done it and let me know if I'm right or not
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I think you have to read it in the original Russian, check back with us after you've done it and let me know if I'm right or not
After you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
That's what I wanted to write too (until I saw that there was another page where I saw this response )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
So, the reason I first read War and Peace was because Charles Schultz had Snoopy struggling to read it in the 'Peanuts' cartoon. Being that I liked large books, I had to check it out of the library myself to see what the fuss was about.

Didn't find it difficult at all, enjoyed it and went on to read a lot of other books by Russian authors. But not in the original Russian.... 😂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
So, the reason I first read War and Peace was because Charles Schultz had Snoopy struggling to read it in the 'Peanuts' cartoon.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Here's an article from The Guardian that discusses translations of War and Peace. Seems Tolstoy had his own approved translators.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Wikipedia has a section discussing the different English translations of War and Peace. The academic there, Zoja Pavlovskis-Petit, argues that the Ann Dunnigan translation is the best. That one is available as a Signet Classic for $1.99.

Reading the article Tarana shared, I liked the section of the Anthony Briggs translation they shared.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #23
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Well, I hate to be the one to bring this up, but the original premise was "Why you should read War and Peace on your phone. But nobody here has come up with a reason you should read War and Peace in the FIRST place.

I have to admit, several years ago, I was going through a bad period of insomnia, and I bought the book to help cure it. It worked perfectly. If just reading it didn't put me to sleep, when I dropped the book on my head out of sheer boredom, it'd put me out for the night.

Finally used it to prop up a coffee table that was missing part of a leg.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #24
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
Well, I hate to be the one to bring this up, but the original premise was "Why you should read War and Peace on your phone. But nobody here has come up with a reason you should read War and Peace in the FIRST place.

I have to admit, several years ago, I was going through a bad period of insomnia, and I bought the book to help cure it. It worked perfectly. If just reading it didn't put me to sleep, when I dropped the book on my head out of sheer boredom, it'd put me out for the night.

Finally used it to prop up a coffee table that was missing part of a leg.
I've seen some wobbly tables in my time but that wins, did something eat the leg?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #25
colinconner
colinconner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I would prefer to read War and Peace on my phone because this book is to heavy to read it in a sub
colinconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The big advantage of having it on your phone is that it's much less intimidating to read this type of book in little bits every day. It would give me a good excuse to get an Iphone... It's bigger than my Itouch which I can't read from any longer.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
Because it’s a wonderful book. There’s an excellent reason it’s regarded as a “classic”.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #28
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the best edition of War and Peace?
Although it can be had free from many sources, my favorite is the latest translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. It's not a freebie, by any stretch, 12.99 at amazon. It is heavily footnoted with biographical (on the military side, where the characters are real people) and Russian Culture information of the time.

War and Peace traditionally had a large amount of dialog text in French, for example in the opening scene in Anna Pavlovana's drawing room. Upper society in Russia at the time spoke a good deal of French. Tolstoy wrote it that way. The latest translation keeps with that tradition, but is footnoted for the proper translation of the French. You will notice that the amount of French decreases with time as French influence with Russia decreases as result of the wars, particularly the Napolean Invasion.

It's best to read on an iPad, which makes navigating the many footnotes and translated French a bit easier. I didn't have my kindle voyage at the time, but might be easy on that. It would be difficult without a touch feature type kindle to quickly navigate the many footnotes and French translations by moving a cursor and hitting enter, like in older kindles.

The other translation I've read is the Signet Translation. It gets around the french problem, by not having all the passages in French, just maybe the first few words. For example in Anna Pavlovana's drawing room, the first words spoken by Anna to Prince Vasily are "Eh bien, mon prince....", the rest of the passage is in English. In the aforementioned translation the whole first paragraph is actually in French, with Pavlovana complaining of the antichrist, Napolean. Signet does it this way so you get a sense of when french is spoken without having to have all the French in it. The Signet translation is 1.99, and was the first translation I read, in paperback. (And I carried it around in my briefcase on many business trips!)

The Signet is an easier read, but if you want to learn about the culture, and the biographical information of the main real characters and some of the military history of the wars, then read the aforementioned version. The footnotes are very detailed, in one instance down to the level of describing that a particular communique dispatched prior to a battle was indeed the actual sent communique. It's a great read in either version, but reading the aforementioned version was an eye opener for me, and that was the third time I read it.

The cover of the signet classics edition says it's the greatest novel ever written. I'd tend to agree. Tolstoy himself didn't classify it as a novel, however, saying Anna Karenia was his first novel, even though he wrote War and Peace first. War and Peace is a story woven around a telling of the true events of the War in 1805, and then Napolean's invasion of Russia, hence Tolstoy's classification of it not being his first novel.

Last edited by drofgnal; 11-15-2017 at 05:56 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Although it can be had free from many sources, my favorite is the latest translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. It's not a freebie, by any stretch, 12.99 at amazon. It is heavily footnoted with biographical (on the military side, where the characters are real people) and Russian Culture information of the time.
+1 to this rec. I read the Signet in high school and again in college. I was lucky enough to get one of the first print runs of the hardcover of the Pevear translation when it came out in October of 2007. I promptly threw my back out in December of that year and spent days in my recliner reading the new translation. It was like reading a new book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Just as an aside on the topic of translation, when you're contemplating reading a difficult and/or long classic, I think it's well worth investing in a recent/decent translation. Nineteenth and early 20th century translations can be a terrific slog even when contemporaneous to the original work, and when it's an earlier work, they can leave a lot to be desired. At least it's something to consider, if you find you can't engage with a text using the public domain translation.

In this particular case, I was enthralled by the Signet Classic translation many, many years ago. Someday I shall read the Pevear.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote