Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I've stated it seems to be a feature based on the feedback of others and myself here in the forums as well as other changes to the side swipe brightness control which seem to be in line with limiting accidentaly turning the light off.
Do you have any proof that's it's not a bug? I say its a bug because it's a long standing feature and to suddenly change it like this seems to me to be a bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #47
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
And they've been changing the behavior of the light in the last few firmware updates. Notably that you can disable the swipe entirely now and tat the light adjusts in 1% increments using the slider. Of which I think only one change was documented. So they're making changes to 'long standing features'.

As I've said it may be a bug, but it may not be. It's very premature to flat out say it's a bug.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #48
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Nope, works fine for me on my KA1. I also have it on manual control. Sounds like something is messed up in your firmware.
Thank you for this. It looks like you're right. I rolled back to an earlier version, and manually re-upgraded to 9349, and the problem seems to have gone away.

There's a new problem now, though, namely that the light comes on every time I turn the reader on, regardless of whether it was on or off when I last used it. Had anyone else had that problem?
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few of the earlier 4.x (I forget which numbers) firmware did have a problem with the light not staying turned off after waking from sleep with the sleep cover.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A few of the earlier 4.x (I forget which numbers) firmware did have a problem with the light not staying turned off after waking from sleep with the sleep cover.
That's a feature. Obviously customers have been complaining about opening the cover in the dark and not being able to see anything.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That's a feature. Obviously customers have been complaining about opening the cover in the dark and not being able to see anything.
No, it's not a feature. It's a bug. It's been fixed. I'm hoping this not being able to shut the light from the left side of the screen gets fixed.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #52
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Hmm. Well, I'm having the issue on the latest firmware (4.4.9349), and I'm not using a sleep cover. The light doesn't stay turned off when I turn it back on using the button on the back.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #53
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
Hmm. Well, I'm having the issue on the latest firmware (4.4.9349), and I'm not using a sleep cover. The light doesn't stay turned off when I turn it back on using the button on the back.
In settings- Energy saving and privacy (possibly on the second page) is 'automatically sleep and wake up' on? I know it's meant to only deal with sleep covers but maybe some glitch is making it affect the light regardless
Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I've never had a problem of accidentally turning up or down the light using the left side adjustment. So to me, this just feels like one big bug.
I didn't say accidentally adjusting the light, I said accidentally turning it off when you turned it down lower than planned. Recovering from that in the dark on a flush screen could be a problem. You never accidentally adjusting the light is mainly about how you hold the device. I know I have done it plenty of times on my Glo HD. And I can understand it being easier on the flush screen devices as I know how easy it is to accidentally touch the screen on my iPad.

And come, on a bug maybe, but a "big bug"? This is a minor annoyance at most.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #55
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
I'm hoping this not being able to shut the light from the left side of the screen gets fixed.
It's annoying to me too. I had to shut off the left side gesture. If I have to open the slider anyway, might as well not have the gesture. Very disappointing since I really like that shortcut.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
It's annoying to me too. I had to shut off the left side gesture. If I have to open the slider anyway, might as well not have the gesture. Very disappointing since I really like that shortcut.
The left side gesture is still useful for turning on the light when in the dark.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #57
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It might be deliberate. For the devices with a flush bezel, if you use the sideswipe to adjust the light and turn it off in a dark room, it might be hard to find the right spot to swipe and turn the light back on. For the other devices, you just run your finger along the edge of the bezel, so turning the light back on isn't that hard.

Because of that, it might be a design change on Kobo's part, not a bug.
You are right, this happened to me a lot and I hated it. Hope they keep the 1% and don't change it back.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It might be deliberate. For the devices with a flush bezel, if you use the sideswipe to adjust the light and turn it off in a dark room, it might be hard to find the right spot to swipe and turn the light back on. For the other devices, you just run your finger along the edge of the bezel, so turning the light back on isn't that hard.

Because of that, it might be a design change on Kobo's part, not a bug.
So than the slider acts similarly? Does that mean you can't completely turn off the light?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So than the slider acts similarly? Does that mean you can't completely turn off the light?
Using the slider if you go down to 0, it goes back to 1% and then you have to slide to 0. Using the left side of the screen, it goes down to 1% and you cannot slide again to go to 0. Before this firmware (and 4.4.9344), you went down to 1% and then you could slide again to go to 0.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-26-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #60
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
The slider in settings or from the top menu wil let you turn off the light entirely. The only thing that doesn't allow you to turn it off is swiping along the left side.