Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #211
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
... 2. Free ebook web pages, e.g., Project Gutenberg: downloading a kindle .mobi version of Grimm's Fairytales is one example, downloads tab shows the dl as complete, but it is unable to open the file. Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work...

...If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!
I will post how to do epubs later, but for now, dealing with free mobi files, such as from gutenberg.org, the issue is that the KFire browser downloads files to a directory \Download but the KFire mobi browser looks for them in say \Documents (for your personal ebook "Documents")

So, in general the process is:

On your KFire, use the web browser to go to (say) a mobi file on gutenberg.org. Click on that and say Download [if you have multiple mobi reader apps on your KFire choose the one that says "a Browser" to get the default browser download behavior]

Soon the upper left corner should say "Download Complete"

Now you need an android file browser -- Amazon included one for free but they aren't telling you about it.

Go to Home/Apps, then click on Quickoffice

Select Browse

Select Internal Storage (if you haven't used Quickoffice before, otherwise navigate to this location)

Click on Download

check the checkbox on the right hand margin for your downloaded file, then click on the little scissors symbol at the bottom to "Cut" your ebook file or the two white clipboards symbol to "Copy"

click on the left arrow to navigate up one level

click on Documents

click on the onewhite/onegrey little clipboards symbol to "Paste" your file.

Now your file is in the correct location -- but the Kindle mobi browser doesn't know its there. The only way I know to refresh this is to powerdown your KFire by holding the off button for about one second -- pushing off more briefly simply puts KFire into sleep mode. So, hold one second to turn it off now -- it will ask and you say "Shut Down"

Now push power again to reboot KFire.

Once rebooted go to Docs and your new book should be there.

Also, in the Docs folder you may see instructions on how to email docs to your KFire if you want to send free books to yourself via KFire email from your laptop or desktop computer -- its free since KFire connects by wifi -- Amazon only charges to send email via 3G.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #212
jimad
Connoisseur

Reading EPUB books on KFire:

(With apologies to androidees who are experts and this all "obvious" -- android and working around the KFire limitations is all new to me)

I'm having pretty good luck "sideloading" various android-compatible epub reader apps onto Kindle Fire. This is useful, for example, if one wants a single hand-head ereader device to "check out" the successfulness of how one's ebook creation efforts are going -- in both mobi and epub file format. You can also obviously check out an html "ebook" version using the Kindle Fire's web browser. This is useful, for example, when smooth reading an html ebook one is working on for submissions to gutenberg.org

Sideloading is described at:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

A collection of common android epub reader apps in the needed APK format is available at:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/

A more recent version of FBReader is available at:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

-- get the Android 1.6-2.* devices version

Personally I'm getting the most satisfaction out of Aldiko. [The goofy scratchmarks in the background "paper" of Aldiko can be removed via Settings.] One can import epubs placed in the location:

X:\eBooks\import

where "X:" is the location of the Kindle Fire when attached to your computer using a USB cable. For example "X:" is actually file location "J:" on my computer because locations D: through I: are used for various camera SD card reader thingees. In general when you hear androidees talking about the "sdcard" location that location corresponds to "X:" when the KFire is attached to your computer. So when they say:

sdcard/eBooks/import

that corresponds to:

X:\eBooks\import

when attached to a Mickeysoft computer. The final trick is figuring out at what directory locations each of these ebook reader apps expects to "import" epub ebooks from -- each seems to expect a different directory. B&N gets it from X:\Nook\MyDocuments and the "refresh" tiny button in the upper right hand corner of the "nook library" page causes B&N to check to see if there are any new books at that location -- but I think I can only get the "refresh" button to actually work when one is on the page "My Files/Books" and then after refreshing I go back to "My Files" and the new book appears. One can move ebook files around on KFire either using your computer file browser when tethered by USB, or by using the KFire's included Quickoffice app's File Manager/Internal Storage -- the scissors symbol "cuts" a selected file and the clipboard symbol "pastes" that file.

(Also pretty happy with B&N Nook Reader for Android, available as an APK at various places on the internet.)

Overdrive for Android also installs successfully allowing one to download and read epubs checked out from your local public library [but don't try to read them from the Overdrive EPUB browser itself, which stinks, I use B&N instead] and nowadays one can also borrow mobis via an Amazon Store route from your local public library. Often libraries only have a particular book in mobi, epub, (or pdf) format so its helpful to have routes for all of the above.

None of this requires "rooting" so in theory it shouldn't be making Amazon unhappy with you.

Let me know if you need any more help getting this to work for you. Don't you wish you just had one device that would just let you buy, borrow, sell, and read whatever you want from wherever your want without all this silly vendor-specific rigermarole???
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #213
jimad
Connoisseur

MagicCatalog on Kindle Fire:

It may not be "obvious" when watching the resulting behavior but MagicCatalog "works" in mobi mode on Kindle Fire. I haven't had luck getting the epub version to work on B&N nor Aldiko.

MagicCatalog, for those who don't know, is a "Hot Links" catalog written as a mobi file so it looks like a "book" to your Kindle -- but it is a "Book of Books" where you can read through it -- its just a list of Title/Author links -- you click on a Title/Author link in MagicCatalog and "magic" that book is downloaded automagically to your Kindle Fire from Project Gutenberg. Except on Kindle Fire the book is automagically downloaded by web browser default to the "Download" directory like always instead of the more useful "Documents" directory, so then one needs to use a file browser such as Quickoffice to move the downloaded books from the "Download" directory to the "Documents" directory as described in previous postings. As always if you have multiple mobi browsers on your machine then you need to pick the "a Browser" choice during download to get the default Kindle web browser download behavior. Also, for some unknown reason Kindle Fire vectors its display to the previously displayed web browser display while it is doing so -- you can go back to the previous page in MagicCatalog via Home/Carousel/Magic Catalog.

Find MagicCatalog at: http://freekindlebooks.org/MagicCata...iccatalog.html

Still, it is fun just to read through a list of book titles "At Random" and say "hm, those three look interesting, let me grab them."
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #214
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimad View Post

Now your file is in the correct location -- but the Kindle mobi browser doesn't know its there. The only way I know to refresh this is to powerdown your KFire by holding the off button for about one second -- pushing off more briefly simply puts KFire into sleep mode. So, hold one second to turn it off now -- it will ask and you say "Shut Down"

Now push power again to reboot KFire.

Once rebooted go to Docs and your new book should be there.

Also, in the Docs folder you may see instructions on how to email docs to your KFire if you want to send free books to yourself via KFire email from your laptop or desktop computer -- its free since KFire connects by wifi -- Amazon only charges to send email via 3G.
If you use File Expert there is no need to reboot. Just open the Mobi book up using the Kindle app in File Expert and it will appear on the shelf.

Oh you don't even need to use USB you can use ES File Explorer's LAN Feature or WiFi Explorer Pro which is 99 cents in the app store. It let's you browse your Fire via your PC's Browser and move/copy/upload files.

Mantano in my opinion is the best epub reader app. I had Nook installed and it's okay too. You can get Mantano's free version at SlideME market. They also have the paid version too you can buy.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #215
SistahGolden
SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K3, KFire, nookST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mantano in my opinion is the best epub reader app. I had Nook installed and it's okay too. You can get Mantano's free version at SlideME market. They also have the paid version too you can buy.
And, thanks for the recommendation on Mantano. KFire is my first droid device, and I hadn't a clue on a good reader app. This one is just beautiful, and I haven't even barely used it yet!
SistahGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #216
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SistahGolden View Post
And, thanks for the recommendation on Mantano. KFire is my first droid device, and I hadn't a clue on a good reader app. This one is just beautiful, and I haven't even barely used it yet!
If you need help there is a Mantano thread in the Android section of the this forum. I use it as my default reading app.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #217
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
<snip>

Thank you for taking the time to write out that procedure. The real nugget in your post, though, was the fact that its fee-free to email books to your kindle fire. Will have to tell my brother that... big learning! Thank you!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #218
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
MagicCatalog on Kindle Fire:

<snip>

Find MagicCatalog at: http://freekindlebooks.org/MagicCata...iccatalog.html
awesome, thanks!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #219
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
The real nugget in your post, though, was the fact that its fee-free to email books to your kindle fire. Will have to tell my brother that... big learning! Thank you!

I'm still a little fuzzy on this because this is the first Kindle I have owned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630

From the Amazon website: If you would like to transfer your personal documents to your Kindle for free, you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account log-in. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB connection.

Also this: Kindle (U.S. Wireless) user: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.

Not that this is large amount of money but, I'm confused? It looks like the service is free when you download and transfer content via USB, but costs you if you Whispersnet it over the Internet.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Thanks.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #220
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Well, wireless/"Whispernet" in that case means a 3G connection.
So it is not over the internet or WiFi, but via the mobile phone network for which Amazon pays the costs on the 3G devices, as long as you download books only.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #221
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Well, wireless/"Whispernet" in that case means a 3G connection.
So it is not over the internet or WiFi, but via the mobile phone network for which Amazon pays the costs on the 3G devices, as long as you download books only.

Best regards,
Andy

Thanks. I see that now. The fee is if you send Personal Documents (DOC, PDF, JPEG etc.) to your Kindle address instead of MOBI and then transfer those wireless. It is free to send Personal Documents to your KF address and download via PC.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #222
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since the KF doesn't have a 3G phone there is never any charges for Whispernet sending of documents. I've been Whispernetting docs to my K3, K4, and KF and have never had any charges because they are all three WiFi only. In all the years I've owned Kindles, I've only been charged once for Whispernetting via 3G, and that was $0.15 way back in 2009 when I had a K3 with 3G. Amazon clearly stated we would be charged but they rarely did charge us.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #223
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Since the KF doesn't have a 3G phone there is never any charges for Whispernet sending of documents. I've been Whispernetting docs to my K3, K4, and KF and have never had any charges because they are all three WiFi only. In all the years I've owned Kindles, I've only been charged once for Whispernetting via 3G, and that was $0.15 way back in 2009 when I had a K3 with 3G. Amazon clearly stated we would be charged but they rarely did charge us.

OK, thanks. Like I said, I have never owned a Kindle and from what I was reading on their site it says there is a fee attached. However, I respect your experience and I'll take a leap of faith and see what happens. At least I know where I can find you to get my 15 cents back.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #224
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
There used to be a spot on your account page to set a limit of charges you would allow for transferring files. If you set that limit to $0.00 the files would always be sent over WiFi. I don't see this anymore on my account page, but that may be because I don't have a 3G Kindle.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #225
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
There used to be a spot on your account page to set a limit of charges you would allow for transferring files. If you set that limit to $0.00 the files would always be sent over WiFi. I don't see this anymore on my account page, but that may be because I don't have a 3G Kindle.

Carol
I do have one and have this set $0. If you have WiFi they will not charge you for any downloading. So email away to your Fire but keep in mind it will show in Docs not Books anything you send that way. You also wont be able to sync.

On a real Kindle you have Personal Documents Cloud which is a great feature the Fire needs.