Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question add books to child profile

i just discovered, much to my suprise, that if I create a child profile then the only books it can access are those bought from amazon.
books bought else where and moved via calibre + CC show as books ok outside of the child profile . but they do not appear on the selectable list of contect to approve for the child.

Googling that, I find much complaints - harry potter books from pottermore seems to be a particular gripe.

and that amazon t&c says you cannot add personal douments to a porfile.

is there any workaround, e.g. any cunning eit within the AZW /mobi that gets around this, or not
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Does Amazon also filter out all non-kid books like 50 Shades of Grey? Perhaps they are trying to be overprotective, though that is not their responsibility or right IMO. Sounds like a job for the parents/legal guardians. Or maybe they are just being Amazon and forcing their content on the owners. Either way, not good...but not surprising.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-17-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Advert
Old 12-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

with books you can either let them decide what it suitable by choosing a " kids" content preset, OR you can go down a list of every book you own and tick those you want to include in the child profile., so if you want to allow 50 shades of grey ( nappies) for your toddler - that's your call.
ditto for a list of apps and games, and for a list of what videos from amazon that you own.
the child profile cannot stream any amazon video so you must download then allow to be viewed in the choild profile.

For Books, a very simple work-around is to install Alkido ( which I own) allow that epub reader app in the profile, feed it epubs via Calibre companion. Job done

Similar issues for Videos - amazon thinks a "video" is something that was bought from their instant video library ONLY, but you can allow an app like VLC for Fire and have it find whatever you sideload.

I have 2 other hard issues to try to work-around for the cheap hd8.9 2nd gen.
1. Plex app is allegedly not compatible, and
2. BBC i player app says downloads for offline viewing not allowed to OS based on Android 4 - that's probably a security thing, Android 5 , 6, 7 protects their DRM content better ?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know. We have a Kindle Fire for Kids and our sons account goes to their freeware thing. All the Harry Potter books are available for free on that. Also all the Dr Seuss books and many, many others.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

what do you mean by " their freeware thing" ?
inside of a Child profile setup with the Freetime app. all sideloaded content is blocked ( books, videos...),
amazon help confirms that is by design, not by accident.
You must be referring to the Curated Kids time Unlimited subscriptions service. that has many more books and videos but it is a monthly fee.
So if you'd bought HP from pottermore , you could not add those versions to a Child profile. In that plan, Amazon are choosing the books, based on the child age you tell them at setup; you still cannot add one you bought elsewhere. So for a child whose reading age is way ahead of actual age, you'd need to lie about their age, I guess.

We do use your child's profile to provide a customized experience in Amazon FreeTime. In setting up your child's profile, we ask you to provide the child's screen name (which can be any word you choose), gender and birthdate,

another by design issue if that within Unlimited, for a age <8 profile, the Tablet is locked to portrait mode, that is a stupid design decision for videos, and even for some kids books. we can use landscape in the simple Free time child profile OK

Enter your child's name, birthdate, and gender, and then select:
Use Amazon FreeTime - For children ages eight and younger, this profile type locks the tablet to portrait orientation - perfect for picture books and educational content.

a final annoyance was that after creating the child profile on the HD, my own not for child HDX demanded that I add a lock screen PIN in front of a profile selection to that device
i.e.because profiles are per account, not per device, they impact other devices n the same account. My e-ink kindle was not affected, but with the HDX I had to create a lock screen PIN then go it and choose the adult profile , then hide the child profile at device level, then remove the new PIN to get it back to how it was.

Last edited by stumped; 12-28-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Advert
Old 12-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We bought our son a Kids Fire. FreeTime that is divided into apps, books, videos and characters. Everything in that section is free and downloadable. The Harry Potter books are easily found in the character tab as are all the Dr Seuss books. The screen stays in the horizontal for us when he is using it. We are Prime members so I am guessing that Kids Time Unlimited comes with Prime because we are not paying for squat. Which might have been part of our thought process a year ago when we bought the silly thing.

We have his movies downloaded but we show him those on the adult section which is easy enough to move into. I don't think we have shown him other videos on the device. Actually, he barely watches the movies we downloaded because he likes the books and games more.

The two of us have iPads. The only one who uses the Kindle Fire is our 4 year old and only when we give it to him. It is a pain in the ass, I don't like the way it organizes things or that I cannot clear off the stuff that we don't use, but we figured out the best way to find the stuff we like for him (use the character tab, find the right block like puzzles or Dr Seuss).

I would not buy a Fire for myself. I am not impressed with its speed or operating software. I love my iPad but the Kindle Fire for Kids has been awesome because it is cheap and has a ton of free stuff for the little dude. I hate downloading on it, it takes forever, but love that we could add a ton of memory to it so it has 9 movies for the Little Man.

Essentially, it sucks for customization but that is not why we bought it. We bought it because it was cheap and had a ton of good free content. When we want something that is more powerful, more easily customizable and faster we will buy something that is not an Amazon Fire or pass on our old iPad when we upgrade next. Which will be in three years or so...
Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

" FreeTime that is divided into apps, books, videos and characters."
yes that is what I am using - the free app- it is not dependent on having prime , though I do have prime.
Though if you bought the fire for kids edition it comes bundled with 12 months of their kids subscription package, you'll find out in month 13 when the renew nag kicks in.
If you are seeing lots of kids stuff preloaded it must be in that deal. I had to trawl throuhg apps and books buying suitable freebies as Id bouhgt a used, empty tablet.
The 2012 HD 8.9 its at amazons version of android 4.03 so there are just a few things that will only run in android 4.1 or better - e.g. i have a couple of Dr seuss interactive books which are done as interactive apps, as they need android 4.1 I can run them on the newer HDX.

Streaming from Amazon prime video is blocked in kids mode, but Netlix is allowed s an app so the kids section of that works for us. we just don't see any content under the videos tab. as " videos" to amazon, means "stuff we sold you ".

I can clear off unwanted stuff - it is easy to uninstall apps or to not allow them in the kids profile section, but if you do have the curated stuff, I guess you have no say in what is bundled

on a new fire, you drag any unwanted pre-installed app icons on top of each other which puts them all into a folder - much less home screen clutter once you do that. Only the newest models take SD cards. i have to work within the 16GB onboard storage.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

We shall see what happens.

I think we have 250 GB of storage in the chip, which is awesome. But I am not all that impressed with the device itself and would not buy another one. We shall see what he needs for kindergarten, I know some schools are telling parents, or encouraging them, to get kids iPads for school work.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
foppa
foppa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi,

I have the same problem. My kids have their Kindle Fire and use them for books and movies. Each has a child profile, so that I must share the books or movie etc. with them. Works fine until now

No, I used Calibre so insert some of my PDF-books and I can see them in my account on that kindle but I'm not able to share them with my kids.

Does anybody solved that problem?!

regards,
Foppa
foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

i "solved" it with a bypass. I own the Aldiko reader in my amazon account so I allowed that into the child profile, and side loaded books to it via CC, in epub format. I did not test PDF but I am pretty sure they would also work
Aldiko has pretty "wooden bookshelves" so it looks nice for kids to select their books
the general principle is to choose and allow a app into the profile and sideload books into that app. Not quite as convenient as having them on the BOOKS tab, but its the next best thing.
with similar logic we allowed netflix into the profile and use Netflix' own parental control options within the app
Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
foppa

but you have then 2 readers or not? One for the original amazon books and Aldiko for the rest or not?
Does Aldiko also has a parental control then? I just installed the app...

How can you send EPUB to a kindle with Calibre? I only have the options MOBI, AZW3?!?!

.....found the EPUB option

Last edited by foppa; 01-08-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

not really- in kids mode - indicated by a blue borderon the tablet - there are 4 headline tabs
books , videos, apps, characters
the bought from amazon books display directly in the books tab. so you are not aware that a "reader" is involved though of course they open in the on-board Kindle app, in which you can turn on text to speech.
The videos tab shows only videos bought and downloaded form amazon and permitted within the freetime settings so for me that is an empty tab. ( though I did test it with a n adult one to check how it works. Prime video is blocked by design - kids can only access videos in the tablet's own storage.
the Tabs tab shows only permitted apps.
I have not quote figures out characters. if i select e.g. princesses It offers up the angry birds start wars app, & if I select Science I get the patterson's Inventions game. I suspect the characters categories are generated based on what apps you have allowed but I did not bother to test it in detail. I suppose horses would go to my little pony if that was on board.
So all a child has to know is that some books appear under books, others appear in the Aldiko app.( which has a book icon so i'ts easy to find.)
you cannot cheat by sideloading mobi or AZW format books, those never appear in books tab, even if correctly sideloaded to books folder. An adult can find them there, but not a child.
the other navigation tool is the carousel of all recently selected stuff books, apps, videos re all jumbled in together on a last used comes first sort., I guess most kids will just swipe left/ right through that & ignore the tabs option. Kids cannot right click to remove carousel items.
A 2016 Fire tablet, with OS 5, that does not use carousel may present very differently - we are using the old Kindle Fire 8.9 HD
I use calibre companion, in the tablet's adult mode, to get books onto tablet wirelessly, you can set formats and preferences within that app.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:26 AM   #13
foppa

thx. Works. Not perfect that you can't share the books but it's Amazon My fault, that I expected something different