Notices

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Infinite loop and not start - Help!

Help!

After performing the upgrade to the version 1.1.708 (was OK) and after some hours of reading, my cybook is in infinite loop and not start.

I tried to reset and did not work, the button off and did not work, installed the version 1.1.708 again did not work. My cybook died?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Junior

That is really bad luck, on top of all the waiting!

Ok, first, if you are using a SD card, take it out and try the reboot process again.
Several people experienced problems with SD cards, specially with the ones sold with the Cybook.
If this resolves the problem, try to format the SD card with fat32 and try using it again to see if it now works well.

If this does not resolve your problem take a look into this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323

Download the version of the firmware in it and try to install it - it’s supposed to be the version you already have but that formats your machine and installs everything from scratch (there is also a 538 version in the forums, but that one just works with the 64 Megs Cybooks not the 512 Megs ones, and I think your is one of those).

Let us know how it goes.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Help!

After performing the upgrade to the version 1.1.708 (was OK) and after some hours of reading, my cybook is in infinite loop and not start.

I tried to reset and did not work, the button off and did not work, installed the version 1.1.708 again did not work. My cybook died?
I really don't think I will be upgrading to 708. To many readers dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that 681 has the same power drain issues that 685 had. Probably best to update to 708.
So Harry I beg to differ..

Can somebody say how much readers died after upgrading to 708... I've seen lot's of problems in many different threads here I'm afraid... I'm realy not amused with al the bad news about 708

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 07-20-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: threads in stead of threats :)
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I really don't think I will be upgrading to 708. To many readers dying

So Harry I beg to differ..

Can somebody say how much readers died after upgrading to 708... I've seen lot's of problems in many different threads here I'm afraid... I'm realy not amused with al the bad news about 708
Okay...

When I took out the SD card - and removed the battery - I broke through the boot-reboot cycle. I then, from the PC without using the Cybook, moved all the ebooks off the SD card and re-formatted it to FAT32.

I then placed the update_kernel from *this* zipfile http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb708fmt.zip onto the SD card and did a re-flash of the firmware. Now this is Build 708. But unlike the generic one, this build is HUGE (16MB) and does some sort of formatting before installing itself.

That appears to have solved the problem on my Cybook (512MB variant which I received as a "replacement" just two weeks ago).

But I want to make clear that I had been *USING* a 1GB SD card that I had formatted to FAT32. I had also just completed moving 4 ebooks over to the card - with the card in the Cybook - and had done a Safely Remove Hardware prior to disconnecting the Cybook. So this appears to be a very serious bug which can occur despite taking all the precautions we've been discussing here.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
junior
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi Junior

If this does not resolve your problem take a look into this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323

Quote:

Então, eu tenho um novo Build 708 ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Bookeen. De Bookeen. This one does a format and re-flash. http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb708fmt.zip Isso faz um formato e um re-flash. Http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb708fmt.zip

Derek
Hi DDHarriman

Thank you.

Problem solved.

I installed the file update_kernelb708fmt posted by Derek (Bookeen's original). Derek reported "This one does the format and re-flash."

This file is magical. I will keep forever!

ErwinOtten, I believe the problem is not related to the upgrade of version. But not risk a new installation (my heart does not support).

Problem solved.

God is Father!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Great it resolved your problem!
I myself have archived this version already, even if I have never had any problem with my Cybook (mine is an “old” 64 Meg’s one).

And of course Derek is one of the great helpers we have in these forums: Thanks Derek, your help is amazing!

Now in Portuguese:
Meu amigo espero que tenha o maior divertimento com o seu novo brinquedo!
Vai ver que é mesmo muito difícil ficar longe do Cybook!

Best regards,
Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi

Great it resolved your problem!
I myself have archived this version already, even if I have never had any problem with my Cybook (mine is an “old” 64 Meg’s one).

And of course Derek is one of the great helpers we have in these forums: Thanks Derek, your help is amazing!

Now in Portuguese:
Vai ver que é mesmo muito difícil ficar longe do Cybook!

Best regards,
De nada.

Derek
Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru

Ha... ha...

So you know our language... or have you just translated the expression?

Anyway thanks for the courtesy, and I was just stating what I do think we all think.

Best,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 07-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Ha... ha...

So you know our language... or have you just translated the expression?

Anyway thanks for the courtesy, and I was just stating what I do think we all think.

Best,

Ummm... Isn't "de nada" Spanish??? Or is it that similar in Portugese? (Geez. You'd think after spending three of my formative years (ages 8, 9 and 10) in Madrid and then taking Spanish classes for five years in junior high and high school, I'd know this. Somehow the three years of German 'stuck' better. Go figure. )

Derek
Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
junior
Connoisseur

Thank you very much for your help Derek!

"De nada" I believe, it is a typical expression of language Portugese.

Quote:

Já estou saboreando.

Grande abraço.

Last edited by junior; 07-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
wizard327
wizard327 began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, Kaiser,Iphone,CybookGen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Okay...

When I took out the SD card - and removed the battery - I broke through the boot-reboot cycle. I then, from the PC without using the Cybook, moved all the ebooks off the SD card and re-formatted it to FAT32.

I then placed the update_kernel from *this* zipfile http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb708fmt.zip onto the SD card and did a re-flash of the firmware. Now this is Build 708. But unlike the generic one, this build is HUGE (16MB) and does some sort of formatting before installing itself.

That appears to have solved the problem on my Cybook (512MB variant which I received as a "replacement" just two weeks ago).

But I want to make clear that I had been *USING* a 1GB SD card that I had formatted to FAT32. I had also just completed moving 4 ebooks over to the card - with the card in the Cybook - and had done a Safely Remove Hardware prior to disconnecting the Cybook. So this appears to be a very serious bug which can occur despite taking all the precautions we've been discussing here.

Derek
Hi Derek, I tried to download the 708fmt.zip file just in case i run into the same problem you had.When I clicked the link, I was denied access. Is there any other way to get this file?
Cheers
wizard327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard327 View Post
Hi Derek, I tried to download the 708fmt.zip file just in case i run into the same problem you had.When I clicked the link, I was denied access. Is there any other way to get this file?
Cheers
You'll have to email me directly. I've got emailing allowed on my profile. And you'll need to be able to handle a 16MB zipped attachment.

Derek
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru

Derek

It’s exactly the same (colloquial) expression and has the same meaning in Portuguese and in Spanish.
It’s something you say but rarely write.

The thing is “day to day talking” Brazilian Portuguese is very different then “day to day European Portuguese”, most of the times it differs much more then per example American and UK English.

Best regards,
Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post

I just had the same problem after my power ran out a few days ago, shutting of my Cybook the hard way. The problem occurs both with and without a SD card. Tried reflashing using 708, didn't work. Tried reflashing using 708fmt (for link see post #5 in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323), got the Cybook back in working order. As a side node, this killed the dictionary I was storing in internal memory (no biggie, it was the GCIDE dictionary, easily downloaded again). EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot: I have the 64 MB version.

A bit of speculation: It would seem to me that this is indeed memory corruption, because the device shut down hard when the power failed. I recall getting forced harddisk checks on linux systems after power failures, indicating that the filesystem doesn't like not being dismounted properly (Linux users, please confirm? Is this indeed the case with the filesystem used on the Cybook?) and thus leading to memory corruption. Perhaps this is only fatal if the power loss occurs during an operation on the memory, e.g. changing a page, as I've had some power losses already without any problems.

Two random thoughts: A note on the wiki warning users not to let power run out would be nice. Perhaps I'll write one tomorrow. And, should I be right about the cause, a battery indicator on the reading screen definitely wouldn't hurt.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote