Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #151
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
For those of you not familiar with using the MR website on an Android device -- it takes a "long press" on the Karma button to bring up a menu screen that allows you to open a comment box. Or at least it does for me...
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #152
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
For those of you not familiar with using the MR website on an Android device -- it takes a "long press" on the Karma button to bring up a menu screen that allows you to open a comment box. Or at least it does for me...
Oh you're just trying to get people to Karma ya!

and I fell for it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #153
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh you're just trying to get people to Karma ya!

and I fell for it.
I'm sneaky that way.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #154
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It seems you can charge via USB cable (or the same plugged into the AC adapter Kindle eink uses). It might well charge a little more slowly (.85A vs 1.8A), but at least for me this means one less thing to carry around when my Fire goes on the road. The Fire's power brick is too bulky and is not very power strip friendly (tends to deny access to adjacent plugs).

Wish the screen saver showed charging status so you didn't have to go poking around in Settings.
I use my e-ink kindle charger, seems to work fine. Great little charger, works on my kindle, Ipad, blackberry, nokia phone and likely other devices. Got an additional one ar the 10$ deal and am pretty happy.

Regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #155
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've went through the user manual for the KF recently and have a "how to" question. I'm not an owner yet but as you access various apps, books, magazines, etc it puts it in the carousel.

I turned off the KF I was demoing in BB, turned it back on and I was surprised to see what I accessed still in the carousel. If I wanted to keep what I have accessed, I assume making a favorite is what I'd rather want. How do you get these last things you visited off the carousel regardless if you want to keep it as a favorite or not?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see how to do it in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #156
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I've went through the user manual for the KF recently and have a "how to" question. I'm not an owner yet but as you access various apps, books, magazines, etc it puts it in the carousel.

I turned off the KF I was demoing in BB, turned it back on and I was surprised to see what I accessed still in the carousel. If I wanted to keep what I have accessed, I assume making a favorite is what I'd rather want. How do you get these last things you visited off the carousel regardless if you want to keep it as a favorite or not?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see how to do it in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.
You can remove app and web page icons from the Carousel via settings, but the next time you open them they will return. Books are not removable from the Carousel--whatever you have archived will show up. We have complained loudly to Amazon as the carousel is pretty much universally disliked in its present state.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #157
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You can remove app and web page icons from the Carousel via settings, but the next time you open them they will return. Books are not removable from the Carousel--whatever you have archived will show up. We have complained loudly to Amazon as the carousel is pretty much universally disliked in its present state.

I presume it is based on the Android "recently used" list but in Android that only comes up when you choose it. Since Amazon replaced the home screen this was a way to provide that functionality pretty easily, but yeah, it sucks in it's current form. As does the inability to remove certain app icons.

It would be much better if they had more of an customizable android home screen(s).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #158
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Home Website

How do you set a default webpage (NYtimes.com). How do I keep my preferred others so that I can easily get to them, without typing them out?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #159
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
How do you set a default webpage (NYtimes.com). How do I keep my preferred others so that I can easily get to them, without typing them out?

kdoc

While browsing bring up the Options bar and select Menu. You can change your default home page from here. Also, on the Options Bar on the far right is the Bookmarks icon.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #160
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not too tidy for how the carousel works with previously viewed material but I wouldn't think it was a deal breaker for many not to buy the KF.

How does one do an orderly exit from a website or playing Angry Birds for instance? Just messing with the unit at BB, I would hit the home key and go to my next destination. In doing so, I figure things would be running in the background from what I am currently doing thus hurting battery power.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #161
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Not too tidy for how the carousel works with previously viewed material but I wouldn't think it was a deal breaker for many not to buy the KF.

How does one do an orderly exit from a website or playing Angry Birds for instance? Just messing with the unit at BB, I would hit the home key and go to my next destination. In doing so, I figure things would be running in the background from what I am currently doing thus hurting battery power.

Most Apps do not run in the background. Returning to the Home Screen puts most Apps into sort of a hibernation mode. Apps are stored in memory so when you launch them again they return to where they were when you exited them. No CPU power is used by Apps once you return to the Home Screen, unless of course they were designed to (e.g. system utilities etc. and then you won't find many of these that do).

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #162
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Use the back button it works as the exit button. Hitting home will leave some programs running like Mantano or File Expert.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #163
kdoc
Enthusiast

Re a Home Page: where exactly is "Menu" When I hit that little stripped rectangular icon on the bottom of the browser, I get Add bookmark, share, fine in page, history, downloads and settings. Where is Menu. Also, concerning Bookmarks, let's say I bookmark nytimes.com: will I be brought back with a bookmark to the same day and time on NYTimes, or will I be brought to the date and time I was on when I bookmarked it?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #164
MarkY
MarkY began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Re a Home Page: where exactly is "Menu" When I hit that little stripped rectangular icon on the bottom of the browser, I get Add bookmark, share, fine in page, history, downloads and settings. Where is Menu. Also, concerning Bookmarks, let's say I bookmark nytimes.com: will I be brought back with a bookmark to the same day and time on NYTimes, or will I be brought to the date and time I was on when I bookmarked it?
When you hit that little striped rectangular icon, that is the MENU button. What options you get when you select this icon is based on what application you are running. The bookmark icon next to the menu icon will allow you to manage bookmarks.

Regarding your NYTimes question, that would depend on how the NYTimes web developer coded the application. It does NOT depend on the browser. My educated guess is that it will return to the exact page you bookmarked, depending on the page. Some developers will use a date stamp for certain pages. Such as a page called "Today's News".

Hope this helps.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #165
kdoc
Enthusiast

OK, I"ve bookmarked NYtimes.com. We'll see tomorrow which day pops up. I suspect it will be tomorrows. As for a home page, I still don't see where you set it--I see nothing about a home page

kdoc