Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #136
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Worked like a charm. Never would have thought I would find anything in the "Memory Card" folder since the Fire is not a SD card enabled device... I was hunting for books in the Fbreader - library - file tree - device folder, which basically let me get at some things but mostly was a grisly listing of all system and hidden file structure and file types on the reader.

Thanks!

No problem If you like CoolReader and FBReader you may enjoy OverDrive Media Console. It allows you to check out e-books and audio books from many public libraries (library card required). Many school libraries also support OverDrive (e.g. Community Colleges, Universities etc.). I'm able to check out books from my school using my school username and password.

OverdriveMedia Console is Compatible With Kindle Fire: http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/

Download here: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

FAQs: http://www.overdrive.com/Software/OM...px#question-01

Overdrive Info from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200747550

You may also want to get a reader that can handle DRM (Digital Rights Management) books. Mantano is a good choice. It runs for about $7.50 on Amazon. An older version can be downloaded for free from here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4960.html

This reader can come in handy for books from other sources too like Google, Barnes and Noble etc. I haven't tried a B&N book on the Fire, but on my other tablets the reader prompts you for a username and password when trying to open a DRM book. The username is your name as it appears on the credit card you use with B&N, and the password is the credit card #.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #137
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.

The next time you open a book in File Expert you'll only have to touch Choose Applications and it will auto open with the Kindle app.

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.

Note: The Kindle app wont open when you touch a book. it opens in the background where you can't see it but it should have worked.

Now go check out the Books or Documents shelves and you will now see the books you've just side loaded appear!

Credit goes to SCION.
Thanks for posting this. I was able to get a newsfeed from Calibre in mobi format opened this way. Had to save the attachment and then move it with ES File Explorer first. May just email the newsfeeds in epub format in the future. Then I can open in Mantano. Less steps to go through.

I originally tried mailing the newsfeed to mykindle@kindle.com but it gets sent as a doc format I think from Amazon cause the formating isn't right.

But this is a good post for other mobi docs. I saved it for future reference.

Don't know of any other ereader app that will read mobi.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #138
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was able to get a newsfeed from Calibre in mobi format opened this way. Had to save the attachment and then move it with ES File Explorer first. May just email the newsfeeds in epub format in the future. Then I can open in Mantano. Less steps to go through.

I originally tried mailing the newsfeed to mykindle@kindle.com but it gets sent as a doc format I think from Amazon cause the formating isn't right.

But this is a good post for other mobi docs. I saved it for future reference.

Don't know of any other ereader app that will read mobi.

Carol
Yeah it is alot of hoop jumping to get a mobi book to open in the Kindle app. I have sent Amazon feedback via their app on the Fire asking them to fix this.

The Kindle app is the only mobi reader I know of
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #139
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a bunch of Aristotle philosophy files (all pre-1923, drm-free content) which I converted to .mobi yesterday and sideloaded using the USB/tether method. Interestingly, they will open if navigated to from the Books shelf, but will return a DRM violation error if you attempt to open them in File Expert.
If they are showing up in the book shelf there is no need to open them in File Expert. That's only to import them into the books or docs shelves.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #140
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Hello, great tips here in this thread!

One (ok, actually two) question I have:

1) Is there some kind of a program that allows you to backup the content of your Kindle Fire on a PC?

Something like ITunes, where I can have all the apps I downloaded from the marketplace but am not currently using saved on the PC, to install them again when needed?

Am not sure how the license policy on Android devices works, so if it is possible to load an bought app to a certain device and backup that app, includng the license?

I am aware that I could do this for amazon-bought content from the "cloud" simply by connecting via wireless, but right now I can not buy any apps from the amazon marketplace as European user.

2) Can I access other marketplaces from my kindle without rooting it?

I am looking at other marketplaces (e.g. Android market) that might allow people outside of the US to buy apps (preferably without rooting the Kindle).

And if I do, is it a big issue if I do root my Kindle?

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 11-23-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #141
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hello, great tips here in this thread!

One (ok, actually two) question I have:

1) Is there some kind of a program that allows you to backup the content of your Kindle Fire on a PC?

Something like ITunes, where I can have all the apps I downloaded from the marketplace but am not currently using saved on the PC, to install them again when needed?

Am not sure how the license policy on Android devices works, so if it is possible to load an bought app to a certain device and backup that app, includng the license?

I am aware that I could do this for amazon-bought content from the "cloud" simply by connecting via wireless, but right now I can not buy any apps from the amazon marketplace as European user.

2) Can I access other marketplaces from my kindle without rooting it?

I am looking at other marketplaces (e.g. Android market) that might allow people outside of the US to buy apps (preferably without rooting the Kindle).

And if I do, is it a big issue if I do root my Kindle?

Best regards,
Andy
ES File Explorer will back up your apps into apk files using its apps manager. They are just like setup EXE files well basically they're executable zip files. I back up mine to Dropbox this way.

Without rooting the Fire there is no way to have offical Market access due to it needing google framework installed.

There are other markets you can install. See this thread here

Amazon apps are the only ones I know with DRM on it. So you can't transfer them without having access to the App Store but I had to side load Mantano which I bought from Amazon but it works just fine on my Fire.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-23-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #142
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It seems you can charge via USB cable (or the same plugged into the AC adapter Kindle eink uses). It might well charge a little more slowly (.85A vs 1.8A), but at least for me this means one less thing to carry around when my Fire goes on the road. The Fire's power brick is too bulky and is not very power strip friendly (tends to deny access to adjacent plugs).

Wish the screen saver showed charging status so you didn't have to go poking around in Settings.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #143
storm9
storm9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
How to Side Load Files (Apps, Documents etc.) using Wireless LAN

You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:

12) You can LONG press (press and hold) any App, Document, Movie, Music, or any other file in your Shared Folder and select Copy. You can also select Multiple Files and Copy and Paste them all at once to the Fire. Press the little icon in the right hand corner and another set of icons will appear. Press the one with the plus sign to select multiple files. Once all files are selected LONG press one file and Copy.

13) Back in the top left corner press LAN and select Local

14) Select the Local Folder where you want to copy files. You can use an existing folder create a New Folder using the Menu button.

14) You will see a small slide Tab at the bottom of the screen. Slide it up and long press any file and select Paste or Paste All.

15) Your file should now be on the Fire

16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.
I successfully accessed the shared files on my computer, but I cannot get them to copy. When I try to paste a copied file into a local folder on the kindle, I get a message that says copy failed. The shared files are on a Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion with SMB sharing enabled. What's the problem?
storm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #144
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.
...and if you're an idiot and set the default to the kindle reader rather than one of the alternate readers... do you know how to clear that default assignment to make a new assignment?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #145
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
...and if you're an idiot and set the default to the kindle reader rather than one of the alternate readers... do you know how to clear that default assignment to make a new assignment?
Yep go to Settings/Applications/All apps/Kindle/ Scroll down and hit Clear Defaults.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #146
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9 View Post
I successfully accessed the shared files on my computer, but I cannot get them to copy. When I try to paste a copied file into a local folder on the kindle, I get a message that says copy failed. The shared files are on a Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion with SMB sharing enabled. What's the problem?
Not sure but I think you need to set permission on your mac to allow copying of files. You could give WiFi Explorer Pro a try if that method fails.

I have no clue when it comes to a Mac so it's just a guess. I am a PC gal.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #147
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not sure but I think you need to set permission on your mac to allow copying of files. You could give WiFi Explorer Pro a try if that method fails.

We won't hold that agin' ya... since you does like dem Kindles.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #148
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We won't hold that agin' ya... since you does like dem Kindles.

BOb
Thanks. I know how to use Ubuntu. Does that get me any more points?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #149
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks. I know how to use Ubuntu. Does that get me any more points?
A few... it gets points for being an OS X Wanna be.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #150
storm9
storm9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the correct permissions are set. All I need is read access to the shared files from the kindle which should be set.
storm9 is offline   Reply With Quote