Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
Vermilion Scans
Vermilion Scans began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 Pro
Folder full of books disappeared from my Max Lumi

I was transferring a bunch of pdf's from my laptop (linux) to my Max Lumi via the usb cable, until I got an error message, something like "cannot write to..." Then when I tried open one of the files on the Lumi, I discovered that my entire Books folder was empty. The folder is still there, but there's not a single file inside. However, the folder and all its contents show up on my laptop when connected with usb. I can right-click on the files and get file info when I click on properties, but I'm not able to open the files. All the other folders on the Lumi are fine, it's just the Books folder that has this issue.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to recover all those pdf's. I have them backed up but there's a lot of them and it would take forever transfer them back on. Firmware is current.
Vermilion Scans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Excuse my ignorance. The Lumi is a bit older. When you say "via USB cable" do you mean using UMS, MTP, PTP, ADB?

Have you reset your Lumi and seen if the files were there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Scans View Post
I have them backed up but there's a lot of them and it would take forever transfer them back on.
Why? If a truck ran over my device it wouldn't take me over a half hour to unbox a new device and make it like my old one.
(Ok, that's presuming that the old device wasn't in my pocket when the truck ran over it.)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Vermilion Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Excuse my ignorance. The Lumi is a bit older. When you say "via USB cable" do you mean using UMS, MTP, PTP, ADB?

Have you reset your Lumi and seen if the files were there?

Why? If a truck ran over my device it wouldn't take me over a half hour to unbox a new device and make it like my old one.
(Ok, that's presuming that the old device wasn't in my pocket when the truck ran over it.)
Thanks for the reply. By USB cable I simply meant the USB type C cable I use to connect it to my laptop. Tbh I'm not familiar with those 4 acronyms you listed, so I don't know which if any applies.

I did reset the Lumi in the sense of powering it off an back on. I tried it a couple times with no success. But if you meant factory reset I haven't tried that. But I'm guessing that would wipe all remaining data anyway.

When I said I had all the books "backed up" I just meant I have all the files on my laptop, along with a ton of other ones. I hadn't done a proper backup of the device itself, which I'm now wishing I had done.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you using "Windows File Exploder"? I mean "Explorer"?

Many utilities can copy a desktop directory to the device directory.
There's Caliber Companion (I believe, never touched it).
There's AdbSync.exe (I use that every day, in the sig).
Old 07-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
Vermilion Scans

I'll try one of those two apps to restore the directory. I was doing the transfers on a laptop running Linux, so not using Windows Explorer. (Was using Dolphin.) But I have a Windows laptop, so I'll try with that. Thanks again
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard

When your Lumi is connected to your laptop can you still use the Lumi normally or does it throw up a screen saying, "Your Lumi is connected, be sure to eject it properly!" (or something similar)?

Quote:
If a truck ran over my device it wouldn't take me over a half hour to unbox a new device and make it like my old one.
Jolly joke on me. I was playing with Allwinner FEL on my B&N Glow '21 and somehow completely wiped it to factory! It took less than half an hour, but there is always one or two details you forget.

Last edited by Renate; 07-31-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
Vermilion Scans

Quote:
When your Lumi is connected to your laptop can you still use the Lumi normally or does it throw up a screen saying, "Your Lumi is connected, be sure to eject it properly!" (or something similar)?
I can still use it normally while it's connected to the laptop. I can open files, use apps, etc. I think something went wrong when I was transferring a lot of files, and the file system got corrupted somehow. In the future I'll stick to using bluetooth instead of USB connection for file transfers, as that seems to be more stable and reliable. And I'll definitely do more frequent backups.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard

Bluetooth sounds awfully slow.
The B&N Glow '21 that I just had to setup from scratch has USB 2.0 HS.
My main device, Onyx Poke3 has USB 3.1, about 10 times faster.
I probably sync that once a day or so.
I can sync 1 GB of books, 1 GB of technical references and 2000 guitar transcriptions in a few seconds.
It only transfers what is newer.
It also transfers to the desktop new photos or notes