Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 AM   #106
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The case I described in post 101 is fixed in version 2.20

Thanks chaley

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #107
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After installing 2.22 I found I'd lost my View Manager keyboard shortcut customisations.

I am pretty sure this has been happening for the last several releases, maybe as far as back as the mid November changes, but I think it's more recent than that.

With previous releases, by the time I noticed they'd gone, it was too late to definitively blame the install - without futzing with reinstalls, so I've just been redoing the shortcuts.

But before installing 2.22, I took a look to ensure they were there, which they were - and they worked. But when I looked again immediately after the install they'd gone.

Keyboard shortcuts for the other installed optional PI's are not disappearing after a calibre install - hence I'm reporting it as a View Manager specific issue.

It's the kb shorts for a specific view that disappear - eg I have kb shorts for what I call the Published and Publisher views.

BR
Advert
Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #108
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
After installing 2.22 I found I'd lost my View Manager keyboard shortcut customisations.
FYI, I just installed calibre 2.22 as well. But my View Manager keyboard shortcuts are still working.

Do your shortcuts conflict with anything else?

My setup:

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre 2.22 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #109
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
FYI, I just installed calibre 2.22 as well. But my View Manager keyboard shortcuts are still working.

Do your shortcuts conflict with anything else?

My setup:

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre 2.22 [64bit]  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
@JimmXinu - no conflicts I know of, calibre should tell me if I try. I wish calibre had a simple way to list all kb shorts in key/modifier/modifier sequence. Your config info inspired me to run a debug, here is the log

Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.22 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Extract ISBN && Reading List && Barnes & Noble && View Manager && Modify ePub && Count Pages && Open With && EpubSplit && Walk Search History && Beam Ebooks && Goodreads && Import List && FictionDB && Generate Cover && Favourites Menu && Quick Preferences && Resize Cover && Find Duplicates && Quality Check
Starting up...
Key u'' for shortcut Template tester is already used by Toggle Add Option: Read metadata from file contents, ignoring
Key u'' for shortcut Template tester is already used by Toggle Add Option: Read metadata from file contents, ignoring
Started up in 9.72 seconds with 7832 books

When I look at the Keyboard shorts for Quick Preferences and Template Tester - this is what I see

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	136240

Weird - mayhap if I find a way to resolve the None v None kb short conflict between Template Tester and Quick Preferences->Read metadata it will fix my problem with View Manager kb shorts. I'll try uninstall and reinstall Quick Preferences. Until now I never even knew there was a Template Tester.

I have had Quick Preferences (and View Manager) installed for years, whilst I don't often run in debug mode - I've certainly run it with those PI installed, and I've never seen those messages before - had I done so I would have gone

I can't be bothered futzing with reinstalls so we wont know if getting rid of those curious messages will solve my View Manager problems until V2.23 hits the streets.

BR
Old 03-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #110
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@JimmXinu - I'll try uninstall and reinstall Quick Preferences.
Weirdness part 2 - before tearing down the Quick Preferences (QP) PI entirely, I renamed Quick Preferences.json to Quick Preferences.json.save

When I ran calibre again in debug the curious messages about QP and Template Tester kb shorts being the same were NOT in the log.

So I reinstated Quick Preferences.json.save to Quick Preferences.json and ran calibre in debug again - once again the curious messages were NOT in the log.

Nota bene: kb shorts are NOT stored in the PI's .json file - they're in %calibre_config_directory%\shortcuts\main.json. Which just happens to have a time stamp around when I did the QP json file shuffle.

Maybe when QP recreated its missing .json file, it also refreshed its entries in shortcuts\main.json - of which there are none, and nor have there ever been! I drive QP via the book list context menu, I don't use it often enough to warrant having easily forgotten kb shorts.

Time will tell if this fixes my problems with View Manager kb shorts, I'm not hopeful. I will take a copy of shortcuts\main.json immediately prior to and after installing V2.23.

It's only a minor irritant - takes but a jiffy to redo the kb shorts

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Advert
Old 07-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #111
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Hi:

I have a question. The plugin is very intuitive, but it happens that when I apply a saved search, it is not applied as expected. If I use the series:true, as seen in the first capture, of the 11,443 books I have, are shown only those with an serie assigned, 3,546 in this case. But when I apply the filter in the plugin, show me all the books. What am I doing wrong?

look in the lower left corner, there is shown how many books have been taken into account with the filter

Sorry my grammar, I try my best (with Google)
Regards from Lima, Perú
Blessings
mariaclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:57 AM   #112
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@mariaclaudia - I think you're seeing the same problem, or something very similar, as was reported in Post 93. It's not obvious to me if that problem was ever resolved.

And, I have a vague recollection that restricting Views via Apply search restriction and/or Apply saved search 'stopped' working when Virtual libraries were introduced.

I go into the VL that has the required search criteria, and then select the required View.

BR
Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #113
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

That's true. So, we must wait for a future solution of this issue. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #114
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

I've checked - "Apply saved search" does work for me (on Calibre 2.60).

What is the difference between "Apply search restriction" and "Apply saved search"?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #115
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I've checked - "Apply saved search" does work for me (on Calibre 2.60).

What is the difference between "Apply search restriction" and "Apply saved search"?
Saved uses a SAVED
Search Restriction, uses what is currently there (the search box)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #116
mariaclaudia
Zealot

I have Calibre 2.62, and the problem persists.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #117
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(mariaclaudia -- Look for your name down below for your actual problem.)

Both the Search Restriction and Saved Search dropdowns in the plugin show only the Saved Searches list. So I believe theducks is mistaken.

I believe BR is correct saying that the Search Restriction setting is from the pre-Virtual Library days. The Calibre code for Virtual Libraries still has 'search restriction' in the file name.

And there is still an 'Additional restriction' feature in Calibre. It's under Virtual Library and works by applying a named (or current) search as an additional filter on top of the defined Virtual Library search. I assume backward compatibility is the primary (only?) reason that is still there. Virtual Library and Additional restriction and normal Search seems excessive...

The View Manager PI does set it's configured Search Restriction to the VL 'Additional restriction', but not perfectly.

It doesn't remove the 'Additional restriction' when switching to another view, nor does it set it again if you've cleared the 'Additional restriction' with the 'Close the Virtual Library' button. (Saved Searches applied by View Manager are also not reset, but those are much more visible.)

The 'Close the Virtual Library' button part is arguably a bug in Calibre's VL/search restriction code. The clear_vl button in search_restriction_mixin.py resets the restriction, but doesn't clear the search_restriction ComboBox. The PI looks at the contents of the search_restriction ComboBox and skips applying the search restriction if it contains the same setting.

I am able to fix/workaround both issues by tweaking the PI code to always set the search restriction (resetting it to '' for views that don't have a search restriction).

But is that useful? Would it be better to remove the PI Search Restriction settings? Or instead show the list of Virtual Libraries and switch to the chosen VL?

None of which addresses mariaclaudia's reported issue with Saved Search.

mariaclaudia -- Looking at your screen captures, I believe you have a saved search named series:true but it doesn't contain the search series:true.
  1. Look at the attached image.
  2. You should left click and hold the button I've marked in red until you get a menu.
  3. One of the options will be 'Manage Saved Searches' (in your language), click it.
  4. You will then get the 'Saved Search Editor' also shown. Use the drop down labeled 'Saved Search' to select your saved search series:true.
  5. If I'm right, there won't be anything where I've marked in blue on the image.
  6. Enter series:true where I've marked in blue on the image.
  7. Click OK.

That should solve your problem.

Another way to do the same thing is to enter series:true into first the regular search bar, then again in the saved search bar, then click (without holding) the button marked in red.

You can name the search something different (that's kind of the point of saved searches), but you'd have to go back and change the View Manager setting then.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	270
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	150250  
Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #118
mariaclaudia
Zealot

Thanks! However it's strange, because I'm sure that I had "series:true" saved, and I saw it in the saved search editor. Maybe I didn't select it and show in the main window of the saved search editor. Anyway, it seems working fine now. Again: thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #119
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
And there is still an 'Additional restriction' feature in Calibre. It's under Virtual Library and works by applying a named (or current) search as an additional filter on top of the defined Virtual Library search. I assume backward compatibility is the primary (only?) reason that is still there. Virtual Library and Additional restriction and normal Search seems excessive...

The View Manager PI does set it's configured Search Restriction to the VL 'Additional restriction', but not perfectly.

It doesn't remove the 'Additional restriction' when switching to another view, nor does it set it again if you've cleared the 'Additional restriction' with the 'Close the Virtual Library' button.

The 'Close the Virtual Library' button part is arguably a bug in Calibre's VL/search restriction code.
FYI, I submitted (and Kovid accepted) a change a few days ago to Calibre to clear the VL 'Additional restriction' when the 'Close the Virtual Library' button is pressed.

So at this point, while it's not what I would call ideal, the View Manager Search Restriction feature doesn't appear outright broken anymore.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #120
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@JimmXinu - this is just a heads up, to tie up a loose end, no action needed.

I finally figured what happens with my View Manager keyboard shorts.

Firstly the weirdness with Quick preferences spurious kb shortcuts reared its head again. That made me consider my use of QP - i.e. do I need it? I decided it was confusing me more than helping me, so I removed it completely. It's actually easier to fix a mistake when it happens, rather trying to remember to check QP settings before adding anything.

My libraries have different sets of View Manager specifications, that's fine because they are stored in the relevant library databases. But keyboard shortcuts are stored globally in accordance with the current library's View Manager layouts. When I switch libraries, fresh empty kb shorts with the names of the VM layouts for that library overwrite what's already there. Having a common set of layouts isn't viable, different sets of custom columns with different names are involved - the layout names reflect the sort orders.

So I've put View Manager in my context menu, I now I use it to switch layouts rather than using kb shorts.

BR