Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #61
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would use it. I have my footer size small. I'm using firmware 4.7.x right now. Sometime this week when I get a chance to go over the patches and decide which ones I want, I'll then update the firmware and apply the patches.
OK, I nominate you as beta-tester-in-chief for this potential new patch.

Once you've got your H2O upgraded to 4.17 and patched to the best you can make it with existing patches, PM me and we can take it from there.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
OK, I nominate you as beta-tester-in-chief for this potential new patch.

Once you've got your H2O upgraded to 4.17 and patched to the best you can make it with existing patches, PM me and we can take it from there.
Deal. Thank you.

I hope I find the new patch system straight forward. I've never used it before.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #63
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Deal. Thank you.

It’s very simple. The only thing I’d add to the instructions for OS X (which I forget if you use or not) is that to run the.sh file you have to cd into the directory that holds all the patching info, so whatever unzipped from the patch .tgz file.

Other than that it’s opening the.yaml files in a safe editor (notepad or text edit for Windows/OS X respectively) and changing no to yes on whatever patches you want.

You’ve mentioned doing this almost every time there’s a new semi big firmware. I’d suggest biting the bullet and trying it this time.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Deal. Thank you.

You'll be fine. There are plenty of people with less technical ability than you who have managed to get it working. You may well need to ask some questions so just ask 'em and get going.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #65
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks for all the hard work. I updated and ran the patch successfully. One thing someone had mentioned was that the new FW seemed to handle the SD card faster, which is why I updated, and I have to say I agree there seems to be improvement.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #66
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Thank you for everything, i owe you guys @least a bear/or coke/or whatever...

I hoped that
Code:
Prevent Kobo from scanning dotfiles/folders (since 4.17.13651): See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083.
So if i flash this separately it will stay on the device ori should flash ths one again after the pach?

Or this is not needed?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Thank you for everything, i owe you guys @least a bear/or coke/or whatever...
No problem! Although, if you were to give me a bear, I'd expect a cage and food for it too .

Quote:
I hoped that
Code:
Prevent Kobo from scanning dotfiles/folders (since 4.17.13651): See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083.
So if i flash this separately it will stay on the device ori should flash ths one again after the pach?

Or this is not needed?
You can do it in any order (and you don't have to reinstall it after updates), but there's also a new config option in the most recent firmware if you want to use it. They'll essentially do the same thing, but the new config option is more customizable (and a little more complex). See the end of that thread for what the config option looks like.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #68
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

thanks, but i cant follow a chat between you developers with much of understanding, i would rather flash your patch then go into editing config.

If you mean: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10

I dont understand a word in it.

Last edited by forster01; 09-23-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #69
forster01
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No problem! Although, if you were to give me a bear, I'd expect a cage and food for it too .

You are right! as i'm patch user in last 7 years, since i bought Kobo Aura HD(still alive and well with latest firmware)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@forster01: You can pretty much forget everything after the code block and the following sentence .

Essentially, that boils down to:

* Open .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in any half-decent text/code editor. Whatever you're already using to tweak the kobopatch YAML should be good enough.
* Scroll to bottom (if there's no bottom and you only see a single interminable line, your editor failed at being half-decent ^^).
* Append
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?
* Save, exit & eject/unplug safely .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-31-2019 at 09:22 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #71
forster01
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@forster01: You can essentially forget everything after the code block and the following sentence .

Essentially, that boils down to:

* Open .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in any half-decent text/code editor. Whatever you're already using to tweak the kobopatch YAML should be good enough.
* Scroll to bottom (if there's no bottom and you only see a single interminable line, your editor failed at being half-decent ^^).
* Append
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?
* Save, exit & unplug .
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not yet installed the firmware. But I have edited the patches. Now is the time to backup my H2O and then install the new firmware and then the patches and then the hyphenation dictionary.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-24-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #73
Chaplan
Chaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

You can do it in any order (and you don't have to reinstall it after updates), but there's also a new config option in the most recent firmware if you want to use it. They'll essentially do the same thing, but the new config option is more customizable (and a little more complex). See the end of that thread for what the config option looks like.
First time patch user, it's my first kobo, thanks for your work.
I used the kobopatch system and really like the implementation of it.

I also flashed your "Prevent Kobo from scanning dotfiles/folders", eventually i force reseted the device to factory default FW (as per your instructions) to further enable the new less intrusive implementation Kobo gave us on the latest FW.
I do prefer it, your thread should IMHO link to @Niluje thread in the OP for the less followup users to get both options in one place. Just my 2 cents here. I was keen on testing both though, same result.
BTW, might or might not be related but with your implementation in place a DSMEG (and another log, don't recall which) was created on every boot of the device.

Also i would like to ask you if a night mode quick setting is somewhat possible, like the landscape one we have in the status bar. I do invert the screen late in the night and hate navigating the settings just for this.
Would be a neat addition to the patches I guess.

My (and everyone elses) Kobo Clara HD is a joy to use now, thanks to you and all the other DEVs on this modding community.
Chaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #74
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have not yet installed the firmware. But I have edited the patches. Now is the time to backup my H2O and then install the new firmware and then the patches and then the hyphenation dictionary.
I was just about to reply to your query about 'KePub stylesheet additions'. Did you sort that one out yourself?

You may also like to know that the kobopatch.yaml file provides a way of combining into a single step
- installation of patches
- installation of hyphenation dictionary
Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I was just about to reply to your query about 'KePub stylesheet additions'. Did you sort that one out yourself?

You may also like to know that the kobopatch.yaml file provides a way of combining into a single step
- installation of patches
- installation of hyphenation dictionary
Can you explain how I edit the kobopatch.yaml file to do this?

I did figure out the error. Turns out you cannot combine them and can only pick one. I picked the font size as the rest can be sorted out with options from the Kobo Touch Extended Driver.

However, If I am wrong here, please let me know. Thanks.

I've backed up the user partition and now have my H2O charging. Once done, I can apply the firmware.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching