Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I read Stephen King's "The Stand" (the 'complete and uncut edition') - that was pretty hefty.
I too have to go with The Stand (complete and uncut). I did read that using my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:14 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I too have to go with The Stand (complete and uncut). I did read that using my 505.
Where did you buy it from, Jon? FW sell it for $50, which is crazy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have read Atlas Shruged by Ayn Rand. That was after I started to read in English but before I "went digital".

It is on the 12th place in the list of the longest novels
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have read Atlas Shruged by Ayn Rand. That was after I started to read in English but before I "went digital".

In that case, (also pre-device) I must add Les Miserables by Victor Hugo! No 15 on the list . I didn't think it was the longest book I had ever read though, until I looked at your link. George Elliot's books are pretty huge....
Also Giuliano Sansevero by Andrea Giovene took me forever, and although the book came in two parts and wasn't SO thick, the font size was tiny.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I bought 'The Stand', 'Passage to India', and 'William Pitt the Younger' from Fictionwise in October for a combined total of £18.27.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It's $8.99 on the Kindle. I wonder why so much at FW (it's huge money at BoB too).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 AM   #23
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:

I can see I have read at least 1 of the longest novels. The Mission Earth decalogy many moons ago I don't think I would have the stamina to re-read it now with so many(too many !) ebooks fighting for my attention.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:21 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

# 1.3 L. Ron Hubbard, Mission Earth

Sorry, but the list is incorrect. Mission Earth is a series of books and not a single book. So that makes it ineligible to be on the list. I don't know most of the books listed, but if any others are a series, then they too are incorrectly listed.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I can see I have read at least 1 of the longest novels. The Mission Earth decalogy many moons ago I don't think I would have the stamina to re-read it now with so many(too many !) ebooks fighting for my attention.
The problem with the Mission Earth series is that it suffers from a classic L. Ron Hubbard problem... run on of the words. It's just too wordy for no good reason. He did the same thing with Battlefield Earth.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Stand is available from CyberRead for $17.95 and when you can get 50% or 40% off, it comes down to a rather reasonable price.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
# 1.3 L. Ron Hubbard, Mission Earth

Sorry, but the list is incorrect. Mission Earth is a series of books and not a single book. So that makes it ineligible to be on the list. I don't know most of the books listed, but if any others are a series, then they too are incorrectly listed.
It's not a list of the longest books; it's a list of the longest novels. Marcel Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu has always, as far as I'm aware, been published as multiple books, but is pretty much universally seen to be a single novel.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It's not a list of the longest books; it's a list of the longest novels. Marcel Proust's À la recherche du temps perdu has always, as far as I'm aware, been published as multiple books, but is pretty much universally seen to be a single novel.

Cheers,
Marc
But the Mission Earth series was never seen as one book. It's always seen as 10 very bad, very boring books.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But the Mission Earth series was never seen as one book.
Perhaps so, but, as specified, "novel", not "book".

Quote:
It's always seen as 10 very bad, very boring books.
You do not have my disagreement on your subjective opinion, though I must declare that any agreement is not based on reading all 10 of the self-named "dekalogy" (in fact, it was barely a dent into the first that turned me off).

However, it seems that some may consider it a ten-volume novel, and some a ten-novel series. Criteria for "novel" vary. The point is though, that "book" and "novel" are different, and it would seem that this series was written as one, long work, and delivered as one, long manuscript to the publisher, anticipated to be broken up into a number of books (eventually 10). More information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Earth_(novel)

Particularly reference the third item ("the rest of the story") under the References section, which probably adds significant weight to its conception as a multi-volume novel.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I did read the first two books in the Mission Earth series and vowed never to read anything L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote. I also had the misfortune to read Battlefield Earth.

Whoever had the bad idea to make Battlefield Earth into a disaster of a movie should be fired along with whoever approved it.