Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 02:33 PM   #16
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
I just checked and TAILS(the most secure Linux distro) comes with this PDF reader as standard: http://kjo.herbesfolles.org/bookletimposer/#features

But I've never heard of it before... does anyone know anything about it?
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
I just checked and TAILS(the most secure Linux distro) comes with this PDF reader as standard: http://kjo.herbesfolles.org/bookletimposer/#features

That looks like a utility to reformat PDF files, not to display them.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That looks like a utility to reformat PDF files, not to display them.
Thanks so much for your reply!

I just came across this comparison and it looks really good. I'd appreciate any opinions:
https://www.saashub.com/compare-fool...vs-sumatra-pdf
Old 04-23-2023, 08:46 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Can you explain your idea a bit more? I just want to "lock down" a PDF reader so that it cannot send data back to the Internet.
Because as far as I can see, it's the quickest way to achieve what you have said you want to achieve. Use whatever software you like best; if your device is never connected to the internet, no software on it can phone home.

As Kindleing said, the only secure device is an air-gapped one.

I've not used any open-source cross-platform PDF readers, so I can't help you with anything else. Locked-down security of my reading list is not something I care about.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #20
Saxonicum
Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.Saxonicum can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BRNV700 (custom Android ROM),PW5
Quote:

Sorry, I don't want to get into the habit of necromancing threads here but TAILs is not what you want. You want OpenBSD w/ the fvwm or cwm window mangers , in the base system, with xpdf compiled and locked down w/ unveil and pledge :

https://www.openbsd.org/

https://man.openbsd.org/unveil

https://man.openbsd.org/pledge.2

You have to know how to properly lock down the system, in general, though as a sysadmdin in general.

A less paranoid option is Alpine Linux with xpdf locked down w/ firejail and apparmor or selinux.

You also want to run this on something like pinebook w/ no IME backdoors or proprietary firmware.

You also want a minimal package set installed so in OpenBSD this means very little to nothing from the third party ports system.
Saxonicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2023, 01:13 AM   #21
HarryEngineer
Enthusiast
HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.

Device: supernote
This has to somewhat be approach from the ground up,

Dont use Windows or Mac, they don't respect or care about their users wants/needs for privacy at any level.
Move over to Linux, its not that hard.

Also use a device thats not connected to the net when handling your docs, that way you dont have to care, and ideally its NEVER connected to net.

you could even buy a crappy cheap 2nd hand system just to throw linux on it to learn and also handle your docs. then this system never goes online.

Also don't put too much "trust" into anything, even if its stated they can easily ignore it behind the scenes...

On a side-note, the big multinational companies(google, microsoft, apple) state openly in their terms and conditions the microphones in their phones/machines/tablets are in an "always-listening-state", and the masses dont give a sh**...
HarryEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:25 PM   #22
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEngineer View Post
This has to somewhat be approach from the ground up,

Dont use Windows or Mac, they don't respect or care about their users wants/needs for privacy at any level.
Move over to Linux, its not that hard.

Also use a device thats not connected to the net when handling your docs, that way you dont have to care, and ideally its NEVER connected to net.

you could even buy a crappy cheap 2nd hand system just to throw linux on it to learn and also handle your docs. then this system never goes online.

Also don't put too much "trust" into anything, even if its stated they can easily ignore it behind the scenes...

On a side-note, the big multinational companies(google, microsoft, apple) state openly in their terms and conditions the microphones in their phones/machines/tablets are in an "always-listening-state", and the masses dont give a sh**...
Thanks so much for your reply!

Is there a particular device you can recommend?

An ebook device or a laptop of some kind that's completely disconnected from the Internet?

I also thought about using a Windows software firewall to block outgoing communication from the PDF App to the Internet.

SumatraPDF still seems like the best choice for user privacy and user security? https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/dow...ree-pdf-viewer

XPDF was last updated in April 2022... https://www.xpdfreader.com/download.html

The XPDF community seems dead as well as the last post was on 15th Dec 2023:
https://forum.xpdfreader.com//

Last edited by FatGuy; 12-24-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:06 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Windows firewall! I disable it. Then no-one is trusting it.

Sumatra is OK on Windows, but if you are fussed about privacy then use Linux. I use Okular on it. Even a 10 year old 64 bit with 2G RAM and 80G HDD will run current Linux Mint with Mate desktop.

But the Kobo eink ereaders don't need the Internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:01 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
User Privacy is a myth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 12:29 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
User Privacy is a myth.
And a most profitable one.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #26
Freso
Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.Freso can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PocketBook 515W
Quote:
My huge worry is that the PDF reader App I'm using will "call home" to someone on the Internet and upload information [...]
If you're using Linux, you can prepend the command for opening whatever program you use with `unshare -n` which will create a new "network" on your computer that isn't connected to the internet and that only that application has access to (see `man unshare` for more information). E.g., if you use xpdf you'd use:
Code:
unshare -n xpdf
You might want to edit any .desktop files that provide a graphical access in your window manager; https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Desktop_entries might be able to help you achieve this, or maybe your own distribution has documentation that can help or guide you.

As others have pointed out, this will only cover the reader itself. Other applications might still read your file system and share what's there with others. You haven't really provided any information exactly as to the threat model you're facing or fear facing or how much convenience you're willing to give up. If all you care about is your reader not "phoning home", using `unshare` should be plenty to satisfy you and you can use whatever reader you actually like the most, as it won't be able to send anything anywhere.
Freso is offline   Reply With Quote