Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #1306
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoden View Post
I'm not able to convert from EPUB to KFX. Conversion Failure Reason says Log File is missing. The annoying part is that the logs show the message "Book converted successfully!" right before failing. Had a look at the code on github but wasn't able to figure out whats going on. It seems like some of the output from the conversion ends up in a different folder in \Temp from the one that contains the following log, but that might be intended behavior.

Here is a pastebin with the output
Quote:
Book converted successfully! : C:/Users\Cula\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_yd8hchbs\imt 8tfyk\2hufol7zc3xx3pw79ee7\b2pklunz.epub
Book Conversion failed. C:/Users\Cula\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_yd8hchbs\imt 8tfyk\2hufol7zc3xx3pw79ee7\b2pklunz.epub
The output from the Kindle Previewer shows both success and failure! That is likely caused by something in the content of that book triggering a bug in the Previewer.

Quote:
Log file is missing: C:\Users\Cula\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_yd8hchbs\ imt8tfyk\2hufol7zc3xx3pw79ee7\0000\Logs\b2pklunz_l og.csv
That message is produced by the KFX Output plugin indicating that the Kindle Previewer failed to produce the expected conversion log file. That is another indication of something going wrong with the Previewer.

I have no idea of what content within that book might be triggering the problem. Because this is an error I have never seen before I am willing to take a look at the file being converted to try to determine what is going wrong. If you want to post it here on MobileRead, you will need to first remove the copyrighted text. That can be done using the ScrambleEbook plugin.

Otherwise, here is my advice for dealing with conversion errors from the first post in this thread:

Quote:
When Previewer errors occur it can be a tedious trial-and-error process to get a book to convert to KFX. One procedure is to use the calibre editor to selectively remove pieces of the source book until conversion is successful. This will narrow down what part of the book is causing the Previewer failure. This requires knowledge of EPUB and HTML details, can take a lot of time and effort, and may not be ultimately successful.

An easier method that will often allow a book to be converted to KFX format is to do the conversion in two steps. First convert the book to MOBI format with the "MOBI file type" option in the MOBI Output tab set to "old". Then convert from MOBI to KFX. This works because some types of HTML formatting are stripped out during conversion to MOBI and this may include whatever is blocking KFX conversion. However the resulting KFX file will be missing some of the formatting of the original book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:39 AM   #1307
AvijitBis
AvijitBis began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi, thanks for the reply. I think i'm gonna buy the kindle fire. In the meantime, im using my phone to read the kfx files. However, I noticed that when page number is added while converted from epub to kfx, the 1st page starts from the cover. But it's not the same in amazon books. Usually the page number starts from the actual text of the book rather than the cover and introductory page. The cover and introductory pages aren't usually paged. I noticed this in a book i borrowed from my library.
AvijitBis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2022, 04:52 AM   #1308
AvijitBis

some images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221125_153202.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	198001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221125_153357.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	198002  
Old 11-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #1309
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.70.1. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #1310
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvijitBis View Post
However, I noticed that when page number is added while converted from epub to kfx, the 1st page starts from the cover. But it's not the same in amazon books. Usually the page number starts from the actual text of the book rather than the cover and introductory page. The cover and introductory pages aren't usually paged. I noticed this in a book i borrowed from my library.
This plugin takes a simple approach to numbering pages. It numbers everything in the book starting from page 1 up to the total number of pages. This makes the last page number match the total number of pages and causes page numbers to change at reasonable intervals when reading. It is not intended to the match page numbering found in published books.

If the locations of page numbers are specified in the source file being converted they will be retained in the KFX file produced. That leaves open the possibility of using other software to define the pages the way that you want them to be.
Advert
Old 11-25-2022, 09:22 PM   #1311
AvijitBis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It numbers everything in the book starting from page 1 up to the total number of pages. This makes the last page number match the total number of pages and causes page numbers to change at reasonable intervals when reading.
So this plugin averages the number of the page that is given in the custom column, correct? If this is the case, Can you make it so the averaging process start from a certain point and ends in another?

I'm sorry if I'm being an idiot, I'm new to this all calibre thing.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #1312
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So this plugin averages the number of the page that is given in the custom column, correct?
The plugin obtains the desired number of pages either from a custom column or it infers a reasonable value from the size of the book.

It then divides the content of the book into that number of pages by adding page markers throughout the book so that each page contains close to the same amount of text.

Quote:
If this is the case, Can you make it so the averaging process start from a certain point and ends in another?
It is technically possible. The main issue is determining at what points to start and stop.

If selected by the user then a method would have to be implemented to communicate those points to the plugin. I doubt that it would be used much due to the manual effort involved for each book.

If determined automatically then criteria for selection of those points would need to be established. It would take research to do that and whatever was developed would likely fail for some subset of books.

So while it would be possible to change the plugin to do this, it would take more time and effort than I am willing to put in just to make the page numbering better resemble a print book.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-26-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #1313
meatandbutter
meatandbutter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen.
Sorry I posted this also under the KFX-Input, which was the wront place.

First of all, thank you for your great work on this plugin!

KFX-Books have an option to change alignement from left justification to full justification on Amazon Kindle (Paperwhite 11 in my case). This option is enabled from the moment I open a KFX-book. As opposed to books bought on kindle store this option isn't changing the layout of the book. It stays left justified eventhough hyphnation works.

Can you please say something on that topic.

meatandbutter :-)
meatandbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #1314
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatandbutter View Post
KFX-Books have an option to change alignement from left justification to full justification on Amazon Kindle (Paperwhite 11 in my case). This option is enabled from the moment I open a KFX-book. As opposed to books bought on kindle store this option isn't changing the layout of the book. It stays left justified eventhough hyphnation works.
The setting for left aligned or justified on a Kindle will not function if the formatting of the book is coded to force a specific alignment. Amazon's publishing guidelines prohibit books published on their platform from doing that. Books obtained from other sources may not follow Amazon's rules leading to this problem.

The fix for that is to change the CSS of the book to remove the forced alignment. The easiest thing to try when converting the book is in the "Look & feel" tab under "Transform styles" add a rule: If the property text-align is left remove the property. (You need to fill in "text-align" and "left" when creating the rule.)

If that doesn't work you can try to use the Edit book function in calibre to manually remove the text alignment from the file being converted. There are many ways that this can be coded in the book so I cannot give specific instructions for your particular book. It requires some knowledge of HTML and CSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatandbutter View Post
Sorry I posted this also under the KFX-Input, which was the wront place.

First of all, thank you for your great work on this plugin!
That's fine. No problem.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #1315
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.70.1. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
any advantages in upgrading?
only info i can find is bug fixes.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #1316
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
any advantages in upgrading?
only info i can find is bug fixes.
No significant changes that affect this plugin in the last several versions as far as I can tell.

I still recommend keeping up to date just on general principles.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #1317
KindleEnjoyer
KindleEnjoyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 11th Gen
Hey jhowell, I think I need your help

I created my comic with kindle create and defined the panel views. When I converted it using the CLI, it successfully gives me the KFX file. The KFX file also shows the guided view on my kindle previewer 3 but when I sideload it to my device, I do not get the guided view. I use windows 11. Please help me if you can.
KindleEnjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #1318
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleEnjoyer View Post
I created my comic with kindle create and defined the panel views. When I converted it using the CLI, it successfully gives me the KFX file. The KFX file also shows the guided view on my kindle previewer 3 but when I sideload it to my device, I do not get the guided view. I use windows 11. Please help me if you can.
Kindle devices do not support guided view in KFX format. That only works in the Kindle for Android and Kindle for iOS apps. To get guided view on an e-ink Kindle you need to use the older KF8 format instead.

One way to proceed from where you are now is to use the CLI of the KFX Input plugin to convert your KPF file into EPUB. Then open the EPUB in Kindle Previewer 3 and use the File/Export to create a MOBI file from that. That will produce a Master MOBI containing KF8 format which should give guided view when opened on your Kindle.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:09 AM   #1319
chancerlane
chancerlane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've been able to successfully convert my books from AZW3 to KFX on Ubutunu Linux (Hurray!)

However, the time it takes to convert each book is around 4 minutes on average, and my computer ends up kicking the cooling fans on max, is this normal for this file conversion or is this something to do with wine and Linux usage being inefficient maybe?
chancerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:43 AM   #1320
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancerlane View Post
I've been able to successfully convert my books from AZW3 to KFX on Ubutunu Linux (Hurray!)

However, the time it takes to convert each book is around 4 minutes on average, and my computer ends up kicking the cooling fans on max, is this normal for this file conversion or is this something to do with wine and Linux usage being inefficient maybe?
Conversion to KFX is pretty resource intensive. My Windows PC takes about a minute per book.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine