Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur
Kindleschokolade began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW3
Install book on Oasis ( 2017 ) with broken usb-port

Hello,
unfortunately the usb port of my Oasis from 2017 is only working as a charger as of late. I cannot install any more books via calibre. I also cannot access the device via ssh over USB ( Jailbreak is present )
Now, I can still access the device via SSH over Wifi.
Is there any way to install new books with this procedure?
I tried copying some books into the /documents directory but they don't show up in the kindle's library.
Is there a process I can try?
Thanks a lot!
Kindleschokolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I've never used ssh over wifi, but I copy books by scp over USB all the time. It is the only way I put books on my kindle.

Are you copying to /documents as you wrote or to /mnt/us/documents as you should?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleschokolade View Post
Hello,
unfortunately the usb port of my Oasis from 2017 is only working as a charger as of late. I cannot install any more books via calibre. I also cannot access the device via ssh over USB ( Jailbreak is present )
Now, I can still access the device via SSH over Wifi.
Is there any way to install new books with this procedure?
I tried copying some books into the /documents directory but they don't show up in the kindle's library.
Is there a process I can try?
Thanks a lot!
You can send ePub to Amazon to send back a KF8 eBook via WiFi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I assume you have the most current version of calibre?

(It may be that I'm not understanding the issue you're having.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I assume you have the most current version of calibre?

(It may be that I'm not understanding the issue you're having.)
Not so much the version of calibre but that his USB port on the Oasis is now acting as if the data lines are not connected so USB only allows charging not data transfer.

I am assuming that the OP has tried different USB cables, different USB ports and all the other suggestions that may be made from various threads on issues with USB connections.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #6
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can send ePub to Amazon to send back a KF8 eBook via WiFi.
Well, I do not allow the device to access the internets and I do not trust amazon with my personal data. Also I read a lot of non-amazon ebooks and pdfs so I guess that would not be option.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not so much the version of calibre but that his USB port on the Oasis is now acting as if the data lines are not connected so USB only allows charging not data transfer.

I am assuming that the OP has tried different USB cables, different USB ports and all the other suggestions that may be made from various threads on issues with USB connections.
Indeed I did.
I also cannot access the device via ssh over usb as I could previously.
The cables I tried do work with the jailbroken paperwhite I use for non-ereader purposes.
Unfortunately it seems to be problematic to exchange the usb port.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I do not allow the device to access the internets and I do not trust amazon with my personal data. Also I read a lot of non-amazon ebooks and pdfs so I guess that would not be option.
You've already given Amazon your personal data when you bought the Oasis and when you setup the account. When you used a credit or bank card you gave your personal details. So using send-to-Kindle is not going to give Amazon anything more personal that what you've already given them.

And if you feel send-to-Kindle is sending to much personal information, then you really should not have a Kindle of any kind.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-21-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I've never used ssh over wifi, but I copy books by scp over USB all the time. It is the only way I put books on my kindle.

Are you copying to /documents as you wrote or to /mnt/us/documents as you should?
How easy would it be to connect the Oasis to the computer via WiFi with the router turned off?
Old 06-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #10
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur

Quote:

I did copy to /mnt/us/documents
what I noticed is that all the books I previously copied via calibre are listed in this directory but only with a file size of 8k seems they are just references?
Old 06-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #11
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur

Argh! I did copy epubs ... seems that kindle only likes mobi. sorry for my ignorance.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Argh! I did copy epubs ... seems that kindle only likes mobi. sorry for my ignorance.
You Oasis also likes KF8 which is the format you should be using instead of Mobi. KF8 is more advanced with more options.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-21-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If the firmware is updated enough, it also like KF8 which is the format you should be using instead of Mobi.
All Oasis models read KF8/azw3 regardless of which firmware they are running.

And, with the possible exception of bloat considerations, dual mobi is just as good.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
All Oasis models read KF8/azw3 regardless of which firmware they are running.

And, with the possible exception of bloat considerations, dual mobi is just as good.
For some reason, I was thinking KK3 because of the sauna thread. My mistake. I've gone back and fixed my post.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:51 AM   #15
Kindleschokolade
Connoisseur

Quote:
You've already given Amazon your personal data when you bought the Oasis and when you setup the account. When you used a credit or bank card you gave your personal details. So using send-to-Kindle is not going to give Amazon anything more personal that what you've already given them.

And if you feel send-to-Kindle is sending to much personal information, then you really should not have a Kindle of any kind.
Nah. No account with Amazon. Just bought the device second hand.
It was also never connected to the internet.

It is fairly easy to use a kindle without any connection to Amazon.