Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 08:47 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I usually have a few anthologies with short stories for those times when I have no idea what book I want to read next.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:54 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I need to put some space in between books of a trilogy, say, or even books of an author; nothing is more calculated to kill my liking than reading one after another. At best, I get sick of it and that's if the author's tics and tricks don't become overwhelming. I'd rather be a little fuzzy on the details of what happened in an early book.
It usually takes me a few months (my record is something like 15 months) to get through an omnibus. This is mostly because I tend to take breaks between books.

I do break this rule on occasion. Power outage meant I got through two omnibuses (and multiple other books) in the span of three days.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:10 PM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I need to put some space in between books of a trilogy, say, or even books of an author; nothing is more calculated to kill my liking than reading one after another.
I've shifted more toward this pov too. I bought nearly 30 Christopher Bush mysteries from Kobo, and have generally been reading just one at a time with other authors and genres in between, but recently read three of his in a row. I won't be doing that again. A change of genre and voice is essential, I've come to realise

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 06-14-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:02 PM   #34
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Yep. I'm a genre jumper too. There can be a monotony that comes from reading too many books of the same genre in a row, let alone books of the same series. One or two and then I'm ready for a shift in voice, tone, paradigm.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:53 PM   #35
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Since I track my reading history in Calibre, it's fun to sort by the 'last-read' date and then look for patterns in the different genres/topics.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:21 AM   #36
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I need to put some space in between books of a trilogy, say, or even books of an author; nothing is more calculated to kill my liking than reading one after another. At best, I get sick of it and that's if the author's tics and tricks don't become overwhelming. I'd rather be a little fuzzy on the details of what happened in an early book.
I seem to be more this way than I was. It used to be that I'd find comfort in settling into the author's voice and would be happy to settle there for as long as it lasted ... and mostly this remains true for old favourites, but for some reason is less true for more recent reads.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:27 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I've had a hard time reading series because of this. What finally worked for me was to read one book a month by an author or in a series. For me, a month is a short enough time I don't forget the details, but long enough for me to have read other things in between.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
between books, indecision, lists