Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #2191
Tracy D.
N00b. Dumb but fearless.
Tracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: K4, Touch, PW
Newbie here. I did a cursory search to see if anyone had addressed this issue, but couldn't find anything.

I have a new Kindle Touch (my 3rd Kindle), and feeling rather broke over the holidays, I chose the SO version. Eventually I'll probably pay to upgrade it so I can have fun with screen savers. However, right now I'd really like to be able to install a different font or two. Is that possible on the SO version? I'm assuming I'll have to jailbreak; I just don't know if the process is different, or has a different result, or different limitations, on the SO version of the Touch.

If this has been addressed elsewhere and someone can point me to that info, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Tracy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #2192
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy D. View Post
Newbie here. I did a cursory search to see if anyone had addressed this issue, but couldn't find anything.

I have a new Kindle Touch (my 3rd Kindle), and feeling rather broke over the holidays, I chose the SO version. Eventually I'll probably pay to upgrade it so I can have fun with screen savers. However, right now I'd really like to be able to install a different font or two. Is that possible on the SO version? I'm assuming I'll have to jailbreak; I just don't know if the process is different, or has a different result, or different limitations, on the SO version of the Touch.

If this has been addressed elsewhere and someone can point me to that info, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
I'm not sure that a jailbreak/fonts hack has been released for the kindle Touch yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #2193
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Tracy D.: Check the wiki for Kindle Touch related stuff .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #2194
spiffae
spiffae began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi everyone

Having some problems here - had the original jailbreak for 3.1, and finally decided to update. The kindle is still v3.1. I downloaded the jailbreak and tried to run the update but got a U007. I ran the uninstall and that succeeded, but all the folders from the jb were still on the kindle. I then tried to run the update to kindle 3.3 and that failed. I deleted the jb folders on the kindle and tried again, and still the amazon update failed. I then tried to run the JB install and that failed!

I'm feeling a little lost here. Any suggestions?
spiffae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2195
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@spiffae: Unless you took other measures/installed some other stuff/another jailbreak, the jailbreak alone wouldn't prevent you from installing official updates.

Undo anything else you might have done, and/or if that doesn't ring any bells, reboot your Kindle and try again.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #2196
spiffae

I installed the first jailbreak (the one that puts the jailbreak folder in the root) and the screensavers hack - that's all, no fonts or other hacks. I never got the auto updates from amazon (presumably because I had the HACK-UPDATES file in the folder?) Should I delete the jailbreak folder? change the name of the file in the folder? The only "update" that gave me a "success" was the update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w_uninstall.bin - everything else caused a fail. Is there any way for me to know if the Jailbreak was even uninstalled? I put the linkss folder and the jailbreak folder back on the kindle, still no dice.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #2197
GregWoods
GregWoods began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDXG
Question Which is the latest jailbreak version?

I've just spent the morning searching for the latest Jailbreak.
I assumed 0.6 was later than 0.10, now I'm not so sure.

Can someone confirm which is latest please?!
GregWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #2198
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWoods View Post
I've just spent the morning searching for the latest Jailbreak.
I assumed 0.6 was later than 0.10, now I'm not so sure.

Can someone confirm which is latest please?!
The latest versions are always listed on the first post of this thread, here.

.10 is later than .6, and is the latest.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #2199
spiffae

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@spiffae: Unless you took other measures/installed some other stuff/another jailbreak, the jailbreak alone wouldn't prevent you from installing official updates.

Undo anything else you might have done, and/or if that doesn't ring any bells, reboot your Kindle and try again.
Also I forgot to mention - when I first put the jailbreak update on my kindle I accidentally went to restart the kindle rather than upgrade it. What happened then was I got a full screen message saying that I should call a number or press "R" to resume using my kindle. I haven't seen that message again but something tells me it was important.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2200
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
You might have modified some private key. To me it happened on at least 2 of my kindles. So I had to go somewhere in the root and change it back manually. Should be some pages back, I do not have the proper solution by hand.

UPDATE: go to post 2101, this worked for me at least twice.

Last edited by diba; 01-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #2201
spiffae

In the end I just factory reset, upgraded to 3.3, and then jailbroke with the 3.2.1 JB - not the best solution, but everything seems to be working! thanks for all the help
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #2202
lapsus
lapsus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Problem updating Kindle DX Graphite

Hi,

Please, can someone confirm that latest JB is working on Kindle DX Graphite?
Device is clean (no JB has been installed before).

SN starts with B009 so it is DXG
Software version 2.5.8 (555370010)

I used update_jailbreak_0.10.N_dxg_install.bin (copied in root folder)
Installed via Menu->Update your kindle

Normal upgrade process follows (confirmation that I want to upgrade / reboot / upgrade progress bar shows) until ~15% into upgrade progress bar I see an exclamation mark and a message that upgrade has failed. After that device restarts and aforementioned JB file is missing from the root folder.

Thanks in advance!
lapsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2203
lapsus

Please, disregard my previous post (the part where I state that JB doesn't install).

I misinterpreted update failure while installing JB hence the post.
Afterwards I tried to install the font package after failed JB and it worked!

So I can confirm that JB is working for Kindle DXG 2.5.8 software version.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

P.S. I tried editing my post but failed since more than 15min had passed since creation.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2204
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@spiffae: A restart might have been sufficient .

@lapsus:
Quote:
And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #2205
lapsus

@NiLuJe:

Quote:
@lapsus:
And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
Yes, I just didn't notice the error code, hence assumed something else is wrong.
My bad and lesson learned

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet