Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
NIV Bible Performance?

I have The NIV Bible on my PRS-500, purchased from the Sony Store. Besides various problems, the deal killer is performance.

When I first select a page in the Bible, [Continue Reading] for example, it's a minimum of 5 seconds to go to that page. And then turning pages are frustrating slow (intermittently). And, of course, at a TOC, it's forever to move from item to item. This totally kills navigation, because it literally takes minutes to move from, say, Matthew to the TOC to Isaiah. Navigation is just deadly slow.

I've demoed the 600 in the store, and it's quite snappy. I want to know how it fares with the NIV Bible (LRF version). How long to go from the menu to a page in the book [Continue Reading]? How about navigating to a TOC, then scrolling, then selecting another book? (Matthew to Isaiah for example.)

I'm mixed between the sharpness of the 300 and the speed of the 600. But if the 600 can't handle the NIV Bible -- and make it usable! -- that would settle matters quite handily.

TIA.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't have the NIV but I do have the New Living Translation in BBeB (LRF) which is a 18.6 MB file. The PRS-600 opens it up fast, and page turns are instantaneous, as are TOC lookups and links. You won't be disappointed with the speed of the 600!
Advert