Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Yirabeth
Yirabeth began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
Best ebook reader software?

Well in spite of my previous assertion that I would stick with my EBW 1150 device, I have found that I am getting a netbook as a gift from my father for going back to college. He feels I need to be able to take notes, dig out the computer and try out solutions to problems, etc right on the spot rather than paper notes or forgetting what I was thinking by the time I got home.. (software engineer degree) Really I think he's just spoiling me, but, trust me you don't tell my dad no when he's made up his mind! Mules have nothing on him.

So I thought perhaps I could use this micro laptop (Acer Aspire One -- in PEEEENK! lol) as a reader too -- but even though it has a large HD I don't want to use it all up in various reading programs to match all the different formats of ebooks I might run in to. (I'll keep my ebook collection on a USB stick drive) So, I thought I could ask here what would be best? I've checked out the listing in the wiki, but the programs that *seem* appropriate are either too expensive (ice book reader) or leave me with doubts if they'll actually work as plain ol' readers (Stanza).

I'm also wondering about functionality. For instance, if Stanza works well as a standalone reader, is there a way to set up a hot key to switch pages, or will I be tied to the scroll bar to advance my reading experience? Will it "remember" where I left off, when I close the program?

While I'm looking for "one program, does it all" I'm also willing to load a couple smaller programs (or that may take up a "tad" more space) if the features will be more friendly towards just plain reading this ebook here not necessarily porting it elsewhere.

I do plan on trying out what ever program/s I decide upon while waiting for my netbook to be shipped, but I would like to cut to the chase and use the experiences everyone else here has already had

Thanks!

~Yira
Yirabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If your netbook is running Windows XP, then practically every software Reader in existence is available and most are free or very inexpensive. I like MobiPocket Reader and FBReader best. For a similar discussion, see A simpler reader?

Unless to intend to strip the DRM (encryption), you will have to stick with one vendor's DRM scheme and their Reader. MobiPocket is a good choice, and the other major ones are MS Reader (LIT), Adobe Digital Editions (Adobe PDF and ePub ebooks), and eReader (owned by FictionWise). If you strip the DRM, then 3rd party readers such as FBReader and uBook and Calibre become options.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert