The Tenant of Wildfell Hall 7 8.75%
Villette 2 2.50%
Shirley 0 0%
Agnes Grey 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre

I opined in another thread that everyone is one or t'other, but a wisenheimer chimed in with Tenant of Wildfell Hall. So I offer all six options, but the only serious choices are the first and second. You know what can happen when you go with Nader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wuthering Heights, then Tenant of Wildfell Hall, then Jane Eyre. But I am meh on Jane Eyre. I did like Tenant of Wildfell Hall though.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wuthering Heights: MEH!!
Jane Eyre: Pfft. Starts quite good, but this blinding business.... argh!
The Tennant: Great book!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It took me a while to get through Jane Eyre, but it was ultimately worthwhile.

I start Wuthering Heights as an audiobook in February, then got distracted. I'll pick it up again sometime.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is.... Wuthering Heights is hawt! The others, not so much. Not that I"m trying to prejudice my poll or anything.
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
I've only read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre of the Bronte novels, but out of the two my vote definitely, by a long shot, goes to Jane Eyre.
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I voted for Jane. More partial to heroine's than hero's. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The thing is.... Wuthering Heights is hawt! The others, not so much. Not that I"m trying to prejudice my poll or anything.
I admit that a young Ralph Fiennes with long, black hair playing Heathcliff as he did in a miniseries was very hot. I still say Jane Eyre, though. Jane is the best female character in books of that era. I mean, come on, Cathy is a brat and don't get me started on the women men wrote back then (Tess, Emma Bovary, etc.) Wellllll, maybe Elizabeth Bennett is best but, still.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Jane is the best female character in books of that era. I mean, come on, Cathy is a brat and don't get me started on the women men wrote back then (Tess, Emma Bovary, etc.) Wellllll, maybe Elizabeth Bennett is best but, still.
How about Dorothea Brooke (Middlemarch)? Because while I'm willing to concede that Cathy is a brat, Jane is a prig. Dorothea's a strong and fully developed woman, but still has human foibles and can make mistakes (at least one colossal one).
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Wuthering Heights, no doubt.

I read it right after H.P.Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature. Here's part of what Lovecraft had to say about it:

Quote:
Heathcliff, the modified Byronic villain-hero, is a strange dark waif found in the streets as a small child and speaking only a strange gibberish till adopted by the family he ultimately ruins. That he is in truth a diabolic spirit rather than a human being is more than once suggested, and the unreal is further approached in the experience of the visitor who encounters a plaintive child-ghost at a bough-brushed upper window. Between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw is a tie deeper and more terrible than human love.
Jane Eyre, OTOH, is more conventionally "literary".
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I admit that a young Ralph Fiennes with long, black hair playing Heathcliff as he did in a miniseries was very hot. I still say Jane Eyre, though. Jane is the best female character in books of that era. I mean, come on, Cathy is a brat and don't get me started on the women men wrote back then (Tess, Emma Bovary, etc.) Wellllll, maybe Elizabeth Bennett is best but, still.
I'll have to take your word for it. The only role I've really seen him in is that of Lord Voldemort. The man can play the villain well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Jane Eyre, hands down. In my opinion it is by far the best.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Dorothea is too straight IMO. She never lapses, never gives in to temptation.

Jane Eyre starts out fine and Jane being interesting and capable, but the end is just too much and totally unbelievable.

Cathrine is just a PITA.
Whereas Helen develops from being a bit of a silly creature into a woman taking responibility for her own fate. Defying the boundaries for woman her social status and manages escape, earning her own keep and standing up for what she thinks is right.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I admit I'm surprised, very surprised, by the vote. I thought JE and WH would run roughly neck and neck, only to see that JE has outstripped WH by a factor of better than 2½ to 1.

More Heathcliff for me, I suppose!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
JE - good story, good characters
TTOWH - good story spoiled by unbelievable characters, but readable
WH - whoever got the idea that Emily Bronte could write?

Ashamed to say I haven't yet read the others

Just my 2 cents.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote