Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
BorrowBox Library app

Just wondering if anyone else is using this. I thought I was imagining it, but it seems to me that it eats battery. I usually read a few pages before falling asleep. Phone (5S) was on 96% battery last night, I read for a while and switched off without checking its status, but woke to 75% this morning. It was then in my pocket for a couple of hours, I read a few pages again whilst having a cuppa, and then it was suddenly at 51%.

It might be imagination so I'd love to hear from anyone else using it, to get confirmation (or not). I may have to revert to the old adobe drm download method, and use Bluefire instead, if this keeps on.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OUCH. It occurred to me I could do a check in usage. Borrowbox is top of the list with 74% in the last 24 hours (I've probably read no more than an hour overall) and for the last week its at 46% of the total, with other apps ranging from 1% to 8% with the exception of the home and lock screen at 21% which seems to be constant (same for the 24 hour period)
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Wow! Maybe you could check the settings app and see if you can turn off some stuff for this app, such as location or notifications. Though I'm not sure how useful that would be.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Wow! Maybe you could check the settings app and see if you can turn off some stuff for this app, such as location or notifications. Though I'm not sure how useful that would be.
Thanks. IN the end, I just turned off location services for everything. It may not have been Borrowbox at all, but rather some other app accessing the net when it had no reason to. I've disallowed location services for a ton of apps which have no possible need for it (why on earth would some quickfix game need that??) but clearly theres something at it all night and day. I'll need to go through the list of stuff again. Mind you, I don't find the Borrowbox "experience" as good as other apps I have. Sadly, Stanza is still my favourit, but its no longer possible to "scrobble" through to further in a book (for example if you began reading in a different app and could not stand it, and had to revert to Stanza)... this is only since the last iOS update. I'm seriously considering hitting the second hand market for a used iphone 4 on an older OS, so I can keep using Stanza. I still have my 3GS (and the first iPhone, for that matter) but I want the higher resolution screen)

I'm rambling.