Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Time for the Interactive Literature Map again

I just love this thing!

http://www.literature-map.com

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I just love this thing!

http://www.literature-map.com

Enjoy!
That's great Kenny!!!

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome Pablo!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Always been fond of this one. Needless to say, I learned about it here; probably from kennyc
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Uh huh. It's fun, but John Donne and Lilian Jackson Braun next to Ngaio Marsh? i have to çonfess to bafflement here.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
It's fun, but John Donne and Lilian Jackson Braun next to Ngaio Marsh? i have to çonfess to bafflement here.
It also sometimes returns a title instead of an author.

They don't explain their methodology, at least anywhere I stumbled into. But I think they may be going by information they gain from how people use this interface:

http://www.gnooks.com/faves.php

You'll notice that, on the linked page, they tell us to enter authors only, not titles. I'll then bet that's where the titles come from.

Hypothesis: Extremely few people going to the web site enter the name of John Donne, so if one or two people mistake him for someone else, their database is messed up.

Even in theory, I don't see how the site can work, because when you enter the author's name, the computer has no idea which aspect of that author's work you liked. Was it the physical setting typical for the author(s) you named? The religion of the characters? The historical time in what the novel is set? The tone? The genre? IMHO genre tends to be weighted too high. On the other hand, recommendations sometimes cross the fiction/non-fiction boundary, so over-attention to genre isn't always the problem.

I suppose that if even a quarter of the recommendations are helpful, the site is helpful.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Uh huh. It's fun, but John Donne and Lilian Jackson Braun next to Ngaio Marsh? i have to çonfess to bafflement here.
It generally depends on people who like this also like this data. As also has been said, it could also factor in people who look for this also look for this. There's a site that asks random questions like "do you start with your left or right foot when you tie your shoes" and uses similarities in answers to suggest things people would like. It uses non-domain knowledge to try to make suggestions within a domain.

It is fascinating stuff.

I like going to literature map to find random authors every now and then. I'll look at the close ones and then other outliers. I'm probably the one skewing the data.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It generally depends on people who like this also like this data. As also has been said, it could also factor in people who look for this also look for this. There's a site that asks random questions like "do you start with your left or right foot when you tie your shoes" and uses similarities in answers to suggest things people would like. It uses non-domain knowledge to try to make suggestions within a domain.

It is fascinating stuff.

I like going to literature map to find random authors every now and then. I'll look at the close ones and then other outliers. I'm probably the one skewing the data.
I shoulda know!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
WOW!!!!

I tried it (with Peter F Hamilton), not expecting much, and to my surprise I discovered that more than half of the authors shown are in fact favourites of mine.

The Internet has come of age, it can read my thoughts!

Thanks Kenny!
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
kennyc

Hee-Hee. It's really quite fun, isn't it.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
A cool feature would be the ability to mark the authors you've read so that they display differently and create a wishlist of those you haven't. The new-to-you authors that appeared most frequently in "clouds" of authors you have read could then be ranked by suitability (most likely to be liked?).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote