Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
akos.maroy
akos.maroy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
converting latin2 text to work with Sony PRS-600?

Hi,

I wonder what the 'proper' solution is to have latin2 (ISO-8859-2) text work from Calibre on the Sony PRS-600?

I'm having the issue that these texts show on my computer fine, but when downloaded to the PRS-600, the letters that are not part of latin1 (ISO-8859-1) are not shown. in some formats, a question mark appears, in other formats, an empty block, instead of these letters.

I wonder if someone knows how to solve this issue, or if this is a limitation of the PRS-600 itself?

Akos
akos.maroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....r-smart-quotes
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
akos.maroy

thanks for the pointer. at the end, the best solution was to convert my books to epub first, and then from epub to PDF.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akos.maroy View Post
thanks for the pointer. at the end, the best solution was to convert my books to epub first, and then from epub to PDF.
I'm curious, if you're reading these on the PRS-600 why would you convert the ePub to PDF? Isn't Epub the format of choice for all recent Sony devices?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
akos.maroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious, if you're reading these on the PRS-600 why would you convert the ePub to PDF? Isn't Epub the format of choice for all recent Sony devices?
becase the non-latin-1 characters don't appear when using epub, but they are displayed correctly when using PDF
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akos.maroy View Post
becase the non-latin-1 characters don't appear when using epub, but they are displayed correctly when using PDF
Good to know, Thanks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote