Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
NavyShooter
NavyShooter began at the beginning.

Device: None (yet)
Kindle 3 shipping time to Canada?

Goodday all,

I've been browsing around here for a couple of days, poking about to learn more, and joined up today to ask a couple of questions to help me decide on my purchase.

My options appear to be the Kindle 3 or the Kobo (Wifi)

Living in Canada, the Kobo would be the simpler option, but it sounds like it needs further development (slow page turning, poor download interface, poor browsing capability for books/etc)

So, I've pretty much decided on a Kindle 3.

I was at the point this evening of actually ordering one, but I got to the ordering pages at Amazon, and discovered that while they are in stock for delivery within the US, there is a 6-8 week delay for delivery to Canada?

Can anyone comment on why that would be so? Is there a different version that is for Canadian use? Or is it merely an issue of shipping delays? I changed the shipping options and it was still showing as being able to deliver in mid January.

My second question would be related to the browser. Is it possible to view websites and forums (such as this forum) on the Kindle 3 over Wifi? I get the impression from what I've read that this is possible.

Can someone provide a screen-shot (or a photo of their kindle screen) while looking at this site??

Many thanks,

NavyShooter
NavyShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
all I can tell you is that every Kindle I've gotten has been pretty much overnight.
I never paid for that but amazon sent them priority anyway.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
I just had a look and the same huge amount of time seems to suddenly apply to Australia as well.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Yeah, same here in South Africa, shipping time of ± 6 weeks, there does seem to be a bit of a problem with International orders, desertblues (Europe) had the same issue and after phoning Amazon direct and complaining he will get his at the end of Nov versus originally Jan 2011. I've got a sneaking suspicion that Amazon are looking after the good ol' US and stuff the rest of us, of course I could be wrong, but I suppose it makes sense to look after what is potentially your biggest customer base, especially for the holiday season .
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
NavyShooter, coming to think about it, surely Canada is only spitting distance from the good ol' US, how on earth can it take so long?
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
redlikeme
redlikeme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mine took about a week or so (about 1 1/2 months ago). Not sure if the Xmas season may slow that down with more demand.

I always hate ordering stuff from the US up to Canada (Toronto), but I may say the whole process was very quick and efficient.

As for the browsing, yes it works up in Canada. Look around the forums for more details. I don't find the browsing to be all that great, but I haven't spent a lot of time with the Kindle browser.
redlikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
K3 WiFi is now showing as in stock for me in Canada, but when I checked a couple of days ago it had a delay of several weeks.

I'm not sure why they were showing different availability before for U.S. and Canadian customers because it is exactly the same product for both countries.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
mapleleafs
mapleleafs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wifi
Hi NavyShooter! Welcome to the forum.

I've taken a few pictures of what this site looks like while browsing with the Kindle 3 Wifi. I used the built in screenshot feature to take the pictures. I also disabled all images because it makes browsing significantly faster, and also reduces the number of times the browser hangs/freezes, at least in my experiences.

http://img225.imageshack.us/gal.php?...nshot58111.gif

Browsing MobileRead on the Kindle 3 without zooming in is somewhat difficult, as the text is fairly small. However, as soon as you zoom in, the text is quite readable (although not as dark as the text seen while reading ebooks).

Also, in regards to my experiences ordering from Canada (Toronto), shipping was quite fast for me. I opted for Priority International Courier. My Kindle left the West Coast of the US, and arrived in Mississauga, Ontario within a day. However, it arrived in Mississauga on the Friday before Labour Day weekend, so I had to wait until the upcoming Tuesday for UPS to deliver it to my door. So in total, it took approximately 3 business days to ship from Amazon to my door.

I'm not sure why there would be a 6-8 week delay for orders to Canada. Perhaps they have different depots for the Kindle, based on where they're shipping to, and the depots that ship to Canada are low in stock? Just a guess.

I should also say that it's a good choice to go with the Kindle over the Kobo. I actually owned the Kobo for a couple weeks, until I decided to return it and order the Kindle 3 Wifi. The biggest gripes for me were the slow page turns, and relatively low contrast screen, at least compared to the Pearl e-Ink screen on the new Kindle. I've also seen the new Kobo Wifi a couple times at local Chapters/Indigo stores, and this model also does not have a screen as pleasant as the Kindle's.

If the long shipping delay is a deal breaker for you and you simply cannot wait, maybe you should consider the new Sony eReader? They're a bit more expensive, but based on a few minutes of playing around with a display model, and numerous reviews around the web, it seems quite solid.
mapleleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I ordered a k3 near the end of october with the cheapest shipping option and I was told that it would arrive about mid November ... it arrived 3 days later.

very very quick.

Although with xmas around the corner I imagine that delivery times are going to be stretched a little longer ...
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Just for fun I just pretended I was ordering the K3 with Wifi / 3G [I live in Canada] - I selected the priority 1 to 3 day shipping - when I got to the last part just before order / pay, there was a flag which came up to inform me there would be a 7 to 9 week delay before shipping!!! There was no explaination gaiven as to why.So it looks like this is true. btw when I ordered a K3 in october it came in 2 days. Bad news for christmas shoppers, at least in canada
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
squeakywheel
squeakywheel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3, PRS-500 (retired)
I got mine in like a day and a half from I time I clicked "process order"

However, I read somehwere that there is currently a shortage of kindle 3's, and there is a waitlist to ge them
squeakywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
gumhead
gumhead doesn't littergumhead doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Received email yesterday from amazon that kindle has shipped. Checked tracking this morning and it has arrived and departed from a depot about 90 kilometers from where I live...so should be here today....now this is a replacement kindle so maybe its quicker.....keeping the customer happy etc
Even so when I ordered my first kindle it was here in about a week (london ontario Canada)
gumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
it looks like amazon isn't going to ship any kindles outside the US until after christmas. *shakes fist*. i was gonna buy one for my sister, i figured a month in advance would be good enough to get one for sure, but i guess not.
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I ordered my Kindle Monday Nov 15 with the cheapest shipping method. The delivery dates estimated by Amazon were Nov 29 - Dec 9. It arrived on Thursday Nov 18. I don't know if I snuck in before their "delayed delivery" for Cdn customers or if their estimated delivery dates are just way off.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Okinablue
Okinablue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am new too and I guess I couldn't help but notice this thread since I am in the same boat as NavyShooter.

I did order a few days ago and yes it is implying that it'll be until mid January before I see mine. From what I could gather from what others have posed here, it sounds like I might have just missed a cut off point of some sort.

The funny part is that the case I've ordered is apparently on it's way.

I was thinking about asking relatives in NYC to bring one up for me since it likely won't take them that long to get it, but I don't know which way I'll go on it since I am actually okay with the wait...and I guess curious to see how long this will take.

I guess my question to you guys here would be to those who had their's shipped to Canada. What exactly came in it. I was thinking it would be a power cord and USB sync cord. But reading the international particulars indicated that may not be the case, with just the USB cord in and the requirement you have to buy your own power adapter. Which I find odd if only because there's no difference between Canada and the US there (of course the fact that it might take 6-8 is the bigger part of this Can-Am thing).

And yes being Canadian I was considering getting a Kobo too. It is after all a Chapters/Indigo company and we wave flag here too. Plus the seemingly more open sourced nature of the device is intriguing. But in the end it is still about the simple user experience that does it. And the fact that considering my own reading habits (with manga actually), there seem to actually be more interesting possibilities with the Kindle. That's basically what decided it for me.

That all said, I really do hope Kobo does well and will watch how they do in the future. For all you Kindle 3 users looking/hoping for the Moleskine case, the Kobo does have it now, I saw it over the weekend at Indigo. Competition really is good.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what happens here and as my Kindle arrives (I guess I'll give updates too if you want). If there is stuff you think I should consider, let me know.
Okinablue is offline   Reply With Quote