Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
How do you hold iPad when reading?

I was wondering how people tend to hold the iPad when reading? I have a few standard grip/positions I tend to use and was curious if that was common.

I like to read in my recliner fully reclined so I am practically horizontal. The first thing I do is rotate the ipad till the dock port is on top, then lock the rotation. I lock the rotation because sometimes I read with it crooked and having it constantly switching to 2-page mode gets annoying. I usually start out with the bottom of it on my chest and using my left hand to hold the top with a grip that lets me change pages with my left thumb. Sometimes I switch the grip to my right hand and use my right thumb to change pages.

I also use a grip where I hold the ipad in my left hand. I will balance the bottom left corner in the center of my palm, support the back with three fingers and make kind of a cradle/stand out of my pinky finger along the bottom and my thumb along the side. That one gets tiring after a bit and I tend to grab it with both hands for a while and kinda hold it over my head, like I was reading it on the ceiling.

That last position has proven dangerous though, I have dropped the iPad onto my face a couple of times and just barely avoided serious injury. It cracked me pretty good and I realized that if it had landed edge first, it probably had enough force to break my nose. lol. I have dropped my kindle v1 on my face numerous times and mostly just get startled and laugh, with the iPad I actually get a bit nervous about it.

I use pretty much the same grips on the kindle as I do on the ipad, except I never use 2 hands on the kindle as it is light enough. The ipad is just hefty enough that for long reading sessions it can become annoying. I was wondering if anyone has any cool grips or tricks they use.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I have the apple case and have it flipped into the stand thingy. Then read in landscape mode. I mostly use it on a tabletop but if I'm on the sofa, I rest it on my belly like an otter.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
On couch, or lawnchair I use a PropIt http://www.paddedspaces.com/ in my lap.... In bed just prop it on my stomach/legs... iBooks in horizontal, most of the time (not all) in the other reading apps I use portrait.....

About 10% of the time do other ways, but the above is the way I read the majority of the time.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
books (epub and pdf), portrait
web, either portrait or landscape, depends
newsrack, landscape
email, landscape

everything else, depends on the app.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Almost all my reading at the moment is comics, which I do in inverted portrait (dock connector at top). This is for two reasons, firstly I can leave it charging and still rest the iPad on the my stomach, and seconds with the Apple case it is much more comfortable (as a right-hander), to hold the inside spine of the case, rather than the edge.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I have the apple case and have it flipped into the stand thingy. Then read in landscape mode. I mostly use it on a tabletop but if I'm on the sofa, I rest it on my belly like an otter.
Ditto....well, except I read mostly laying down/reclining. But I use the case, and in landscape mode. Quite comfortable.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
For web surfing and email, I use the apple case landscape fold and place it on a little lap desk.
For reading comics I hold it portrait in my hand, nothing fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
On couch, or lawnchair I use a PropIt http://www.paddedspaces.com/ in my lap.... In bed just prop it on my stomach/legs... iBooks in horizontal, most of the time (not all) in the other reading apps I use portrait.....
The PropIt looks awesome! Is it heavy at all, or does it feel like a lap desk?
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I use a Peeramid pillow and the iPad in horizontal.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
For web surfing and email, I use the apple case landscape fold and place it on a little lap desk.
For reading comics I hold it portrait in my hand, nothing fancy.

The PropIt looks awesome! Is it heavy at all, or does it feel like a lap desk?
I like it and use it a lot. It is not heavy at all, it is foam that is covered in vinyl. The part that actually holds your device of choice is a hard plastic.... But, it's like a vinyl car seat in that it will sweat on bare skin if you are hot.....For example when I wear shorts in the backyard here in Texas...... Other than that it fits my needs just about perfect.... better than the throw pillow I was using
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
Tim_A
Tim_A began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, PRS-600
Nominated in the "best use for a cat" awards, 2919
Tim_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Perfect.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
Good kitty!
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer to the the question posted by the OP is in my hands.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
LOL, that actually made me burst out laughing.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote