Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
gossip
gossip began at the beginning.

Device: HP Jornada 568/Sony Reader
Sony Reader outside US

Hallo everybody,

I just got my Reader shipped all the way from NY to good old germany.
I bought it at www.bhphotovideo.com, thanks @ igorsk for the tip.

It took just 5 days from the to hold the Reader in my hand. Shipping with UPS is pretty save and fast.

Right now I`m charging the battery an then start to upload some of my ebooks.
gossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Congrats! Enjoy your new boytoy......ehr..or girltoy?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Congratulations and welcome to MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Enjoy your new TOY.....
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Enjoy your new TOY.....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yep!

Yep, I got mine through them as well, worked a treat!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I called Sony in the Netherlands yesterday to ask when their Reader would be available in our country. I got a very rude answer that they did not know because basically if they would know a date, it would most likely not come true and people would be angry if they were told this date ... sigh ... I find this a very strange answer.

Anyway, I ordered today the US model at the BH Photo/Video. I am already looking forward to an e-reader for a long time. At first I looked at the iRex iLiad, but found it too expensive. So I decided to wait for the Sony, but (as usual) could not find any e-tailer to ship it to my country when it was released. Luckily I found this thread, so you guys saved the day, thanks!
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, evdberg, glad we could be helpful.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
I asked some sony guy here in CZ and they know that the Sony Reader exists !
But they dont really know, when or if it would (ever) be sold here
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

If anyone has bought this in Canada, what sort of fees/taxes were added to import it?
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

The reader arrived already this morning at my doorstep! One quick question: when I look at the screen I can see the main menu faintly, although the unit is off (I just get it out of the box). Is this normal?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
NickMilner
NickMilner began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg
The reader arrived already this morning at my doorstep! One quick question: when I look at the screen I can see the main menu faintly, although the unit is off (I just get it out of the box). Is this normal?
It's normal to have slight ghosting. It sounds worse than it really is.
NickMilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
evdberg
Enthusiast

I played a bit around with the reader, but the problem remains: when you go from one page to the other, you still see the previous page faintly (but still clear enough to read) in the background. This also applies when you turn of the device, or go from one menu page to the other or from menu to bookpage. This is horrible! So once more: is this normal behavior or do I have a faulty device?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Fully charge it. Change pages a few times and the problem will go away.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
ghosting on the eink screen

evdberg,
There is more commentary on ghosting here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=ghosting and here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=ghosting

There is a subjective element. If you think about screen reflections when you are watching TV, you will see screen reflections. If you don't, you won't. This is one imperfection in the overall improved technology that we will adapt to, until a better solution is found.

Now I have a nice LCD screen that does not reflect. But I didn't notice that until just now. I hope you enjoy your reader.

Last edited by mogui; 01-22-2007 at 08:52 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote