Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #61
vho3000
vho3000 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Russianize PRS600 with Chinese font

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfoot View Post
Just to let you know grooks, I PM'ed him and he got me sorted. Now I have my reader functioning, and with a clock to boot!
I got stuck with my PRS 600 the same way you experienced, I used Russianize PRS 600 with Chinese font using FW 1.04b by 'porkupan'. Please detail how you get out of the endless cycle.
I tried everything possible: reset and reboot over 30 times and everytime I got " Updating Firmware now";" Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again" After I updated it with standard flash, I got
"Current software version 0.0.00.00000
Update is complete, now safe to disconnect" it then reboot and got "Opening book" and then " Updating Firmware now" and the cycle goes on forever.
I tried to unbrick it with over 30 times of reset and reboot it didn't work. I tried to delete the disk which has 0 capacity or format it; XP does not allow me to do it. I am stuck with it for 3 days now. Please anybody help!

Last edited by vho3000; 12-30-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
vho3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #62
vho3000

Unhappy PRS600 stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhoy View Post
I fixed the issues that I had with the borada version by constantly resetting and powering on. After about 20-25 times it loaded properly. Sony is still sending a new one, but just in case anyone else has the restarting issue- this is the solution I found.
I got stuck with my PRS 600 the same way you experienced, I used Russianize PRS 600 with Chinese font using FW 1.04b by 'porkupan'. Please detail how you get out of the endless cycle.
I tried everything possible: reset and reboot over 30 times and everytime I got " Updating Firmware now";" Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again" After I updated it with standard flash, I got
"Current software version 0.0.00.00000
Update is complete, now safe to disconnect" it then reboot and got "Opening book" and then " Updating Firmware now" and the cycle goes on forever.
I tried to unbrick it with over 30 times of reset and reboot it didn't work. I tried to delete the disk which has 0 capacity or format it; XP does allow me to do it. I am stuck with it for 3 days now. Please anybody help!
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #63
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
vho3000, send a pm to member 'porkupan'. If you used the Boroda version then he will be able to help you fix.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #64
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does this update include, persistent zoom level while paging, so that the reader doesnt reset zoom in every pageturn?, imo is the most anoying thing about this reader
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #65
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by plim View Post
Does this update include, persistent zoom level while paging, so that the reader doesnt reset zoom in every pageturn?, imo is the most anoying thing about this reader
It does not include that feature.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #66
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
It does not include that feature.

Is there any way we could request it to the guy who made this? I dont speak russian. I think this feature wouldnt be that hard to implement nor time consuming compared to a clock, and it would be alot more usefull to alot of people

If someone can speak russian or knows the guy please request it
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #67
SherryZoned
SherryZoned began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR300
So i followed the directions.. it rebooted.. I did not do anything with the font...but all it is doing is going back to the first reflash screen.. can't read on the reader..

what do I do?
SherryZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #68
SherryZoned
SherryZoned began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR300
Ok i figured it out!!

Well hopefully it will continue to work. I went back in and deleted out the flash. Then went back to my reader and it is fine. No hang ups or anything.

But
i have the clock etc...

whew cuz I think I stopped breathing.
SherryZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 AM   #69
vho3000

Unhappy PRS600 updater cannot update PRS600

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
vho3000, send a pm to member 'porkupan'. If you used the Boroda version then he will be able to help you fix.
I pm him, the reply is nothing else can be done.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #70
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Just wanted to post another success story (PRS-300) and a little more info for others looking into this.

I used the Russification Sony Reader 300 (ver. boroda) and it was as simple as it says. Insert the folder into the root directory and let it do the work. It doesn't change your settings or language currently on the unit (it removes Dutch and changes that option to Russian). In the about tab you will now have 3 new options.
Pressing 0 allows you to change the clock options (don't choose the tick options, kills the batteries)
Pressing 1 allows you to turn the side button usage on/off
Pressing 2 allows you to change the enter button to either shutdown/screenshot

Very happy with the new options. It's nice to have the clock showing, and even better to be able to turn the page by pressing 8. I hold the 300 with my right hand and it was a little clumsy to keep reaching down to turn the page, especially when the pad of my thumb was resting on the 8 button anyway

The only thing I didn't do that I wish I did was to back up the original firmware before flashing. But all is working well, so not too worried.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #71
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Just wanted to post another success story (PRS-300) and a little more info for others looking into this.

I used the Russification Sony Reader 300 (ver. boroda) and it was as simple as it says. Insert the folder into the root directory and let it do the work. It doesn't change your settings or language currently on the unit (it removes Dutch and changes that option to Russian). In the about tab you will now have 3 new options.
Pressing 0 allows you to change the clock options (don't choose the tick options, kills the batteries)
Pressing 1 allows you to turn the side button usage on/off
Pressing 2 allows you to change the enter button to either shutdown/screenshot

Very happy with the new options. It's nice to have the clock showing, and even better to be able to turn the page by pressing 8. I hold the 300 with my right hand and it was a little clumsy to keep reaching down to turn the page, especially when the pad of my thumb was resting on the 8 button anyway

The only thing I didn't do that I wish I did was to back up the original firmware before flashing. But all is working well, so not too worried.
Another happy flasher. After flashing everything is saved -- even the place where you were in the current book. With the PRS600 though "OPTIONS" key changes the clock. The "+" key toggles the "Hold Vol +" key between mute and screenshot.

However, where is the screenshot saved?
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #72
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelac View Post
However, where is the screenshot saved?
For me on the 300 it was in a new folder in the root directory of the reader called "sshots" They are saved as .jpg 600X800 and ~90KB

-----------------------------------------------------------
I stated in another thread that I would explain what I did to upgrade the firmware on the unit to the Russian firmware, so here it goes:

I need to start with this disclaimer: I had no issue with the firmware upgrade, I have read where some others had problems, most if not all were fixed successfully. But as with any firmware change anything can happen. Do this at your risk, I take no responsiblity. This is not to be taken as a walkthrough for you to do it, rather as a walkthrough of my success!!!

I started off by going here (Google translated):
http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en
And went to the thread for the firmware that I wanted, they all start with " Sticky: [Poll]". For me with the PRS-300, I chose the boroda version (I think it is an easier install), so I went here:
Sticky: [Poll] Russification Sony Reader 300 (ver. boroda)
Scroll down a little and you will see 4 different options for firmware:
- 1.01a: Basic
- 1.03p: Unicode fonts (fonts for EBL).
- 1.03p: 1251 fonts (fonts for EBL).
- 1.04a: 1251 and Unicode fonts (fonts for EBL)
- 1.05a : 1.04a + customization support EPUB.
[EDITED TO ADD:] Since my original posting V1.05a was added and should be the firmware of choice. It has been loaded many times by users without any issues. Everything else is the same
I chose 1.04a because I have seen others post their success stories with it. [ADDED: v1.05a should be fw of choice now] I just clicked the link and downloaded the zipped file to my computer (I put it on my desktop), I unzipped it so that I had a folder called "Sony Reader" unzipped on my desktop.

I also downloaded a file just above it that was called: flasher on a modified 505, but if you look at the link it comes back here from a file with a PRS300 tag, so it is for the 300. This is supposed to help get the unit into a working condition if the flash has an issue, which was not a problem for me.

First - I confirmed that I had the 1.0.00.18160 firmware on my 300 by going to System (7) and then About (7). If you do not have this firmware, I would not chance upgrading...

Now that I had the files I plugged the reader into the computer via usb and followed the instructions that are below the firmware files (with pictures) If Sony Reader Library or Calibre or anything else auto opens, close them all.

I opened up Windows Explorer and had "READER" show up as the E:\ drive. I opened it up and copied the folder called "Sony Reader" onto the readers drive. I made sure not to copy the folder into the 2nd drive that appears called "LAUNCHER".

Then I just pulled the usb plug and waited about 5 seconds and the update screen appeared just as in the picture of the firmware thread.

I then pressed "6" on the 300. It was at this point that I saw "5: save firmware images" and thought to myself, hmmm, maybe I should have done that first If someone has done it maybe they can post here what it does, where it puts the files etc...

The screen then changed to "Copying image files to memory" then changed to "Flashing new FSK filesystem" then changed to "Reflashing was successful. Rebooting" The whole process took ~40 seconds or so, give or take a little. At this point I looked at the screen and wondered if I had to press 9 to reboot when the unit rebooted on it's own. So no further action is needed from the user once you press 6 to start the flash process.

When the unit rebooted I saw the clock in the bottom right corner, menus were still in English, my current book was saved along with the page I was on, the menu language tab changed from having a Dutch option to now having a Russian option. And lastly the About page had 3 new options that could be changed:
(0) Clock: {24, 24-tick, am/pm, am/pm-tick, off}
(1) Paging: {5678, normal}
(2) Hold Enter: {shutdown, screenshot, none}
The "tick" options in clock will update the clock every minute, but it does not allow the cpu to enter a sleep mode and will drain the battery down VERY FAST. Without the tick option the clock changes whenever you reload another page.

That's it... It was very easy to do, and has turned a great unit into an even better one with having the clock visible, the ability to shutdown without menu hopping, and being able to turn the page from the side buttons.

I hope this helped someone that may have been looking for more info on this process. Here are a couple screenshots to show the language and about pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	42708   Click image for larger version

Name:	about.JPG
Views:	926
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	42709  

Last edited by RonF; 08-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #73
justanut
eBookworm
justanut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, HTC Hero, iPhone
I just flashed my PRS-300 successfully as well. I chose the backup option first before flashing but... the entire "Sony Reader" folder disappeared after flashing successfully completed. All the folders went back to pre-flash status, no trace of the backup anywhere

Anyway, I'm glad everything went smoothly! Done under 2 mins lol...
justanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #74
King Windom
King Windom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
After the firmware flash can you still use the Sony software to buy books? Thanks Dan

Just saw your answer in another thread. Thanks RonF for the step by step and Sony software test. Dan

Last edited by King Windom; 01-07-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Found reply inanother thread
King Windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #75
justanut
eBookworm
justanut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, HTC Hero, iPhone
It doesn't change the core of the firmware, just added functionality (being Linux at the core?). The Reader program doesn't detect any of the changes. SO FAR anyway

I'm just wondering if future OFFICIAL updates from Sony would have any trouble. But I think an Internal memory format should do the trick prior to officially updating? Although I probably would skip minor updates if I'm going to end up without the clock and the page turns
justanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 300, prs 505, prs 600, prs 700