Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
ehubbard
ehubbard began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
PRS-500 battery capacity

I've had a PRS-500 for about 2 years now. (the first winter after it came out..) I love it. This last 2 weeks though -- the battery capacity has seem to really gotten bad.

I charged it (via wall) 100%.. and just 4 days later... at idle.. it was down to 50% on the indicator.

1 hour of reading seems to eat up about 25% of battery usage...

I talked with a friend of mine who bought one about the same time -- and he recently noticed that his battery is having similar issues.

We both have the latest firmware so it isn't the meter problemo.

Are we just screwed? The 505 didn't have my front light, and the 700 seems not to handle 1 handed reading so well --- so I didn't really want to upgrade if I could avoid it. I might have to go with a 505 and the lightwedge light they recently started offering..hmm

Anyone else have problems with their PRS-500 battery now?
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Does Sony have any info on battery replacement?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
When my family gave me the PRS-700 for Christmas, I was a little concerned about the battery life of the device since they had spent so much on it. I checked out the Sony reader support page and found this in the repair section:

[If the battery life still seems short, service may be required to replace the battery. The Sony® eService Web site at http://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer.]

That led me to believe that it is possible to replace the battery. I wasn't able to find out how much it would cost, though. You have to fill out a form, etc. and I figured I had a couple of years before I needed to do it, so I didn't bother. I hope this helps!!
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
When my family gave me the PRS-700 for Christmas, I was a little concerned about the battery life of the device since they had spent so much on it. I checked out the Sony reader support page and found this in the repair section:

[If the battery life still seems short, service may be required to replace the battery. The Sony® eService Web site at http://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer.]

That led me to believe that it is possible to replace the battery. I wasn't able to find out how much it would cost, though. You have to fill out a form, etc. and I figured I had a couple of years before I needed to do it, so I didn't bother. I hope this helps!!
Kaz

Yes I would suggest emailing these guys or getting a phone number just so you can get a guesstimate on replacing the battery before buying a new device. It does sound like it's just the battery reaching the end of it's life.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs500 battery prs-500