Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Clueless reviews r us

Check out what this says about the Kobo Clara HD. They really know their stuff. Kobo just doesn’t stand a chance with all the clueless 'tech experts' out there.

Here is what is says if you don’t want to reward their inaccuracies with clicks:

“Amazon makes the best e-readers, but if you don’t like the Kindle devices or Amazon as a company, the Kobo Clara HD is the best alternative. It’s equipped with a similar 300 ppi screen, it has adaptive backlighting, and the hardware looks and feels as premium as a Kindle. You don’t get the same kind of reading ecosystem, though, such as Amazon’s deep ebook library or seamless Overdrive integration .”

Utter bilge.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/am...-ebook-reader/
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Amazons 'deep' library is also littered with vast swaths of Amazon exclusives. The quality of those exclusives is rather questionable.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
it has adaptive backlighting,

Also wrong.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I sent an email to Wirecutter and asked them to correct their review (specifically on Kobo Overdrive integration). I'll be curious to see if it does any good. Obviously the "reviewer" didn't even try out the Clara.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I sent an email to Wirecutter and asked them to correct their review (specifically on Kobo Overdrive integration). I'll be curious to see if it does any good. Obviously the "reviewer" didn't even try out the Clara.
Not only did they not try it out, they didn’t even read up on the basic specs about it, getting the light info wrong, and missing out the comfort light selling point. And to go out of their way to say it DOESN'T have Overdrive integration was just bone-headed at best, deliberate misinformation at worst (surely not).
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be slightly objective the initial review is very old which can be seen in the comments. It’s over 5 months old which I think does predate when overdrive was added to every device outside of the Aura One. But if you’re going to update for the release of the new paper white take the time to check on the Clara and the firmware. Especially if you’re a tech reviewer you should know that firmware gets updated
Old 10-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
To be slightly objective the initial review is very old which can be seen in the comments. It’s over 5 months old which I think does predate when overdrive was added to every device outside of the Aura One. But if you’re going to update for the release of the new paper white take the time to check on the Clara and the firmware. Especially if you’re a tech reviewer you should know that firmware gets updated

Ah, ok, I’ll forgive them then.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
All the same, they really should know that no eInk device has "backlighting".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I sent an email to Wirecutter and asked them to correct their review (specifically on Kobo Overdrive integration).

Good one. We should have done that too. 👍🏼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Ah, ok, I’ll forgive them then.
Nope I won't. They still should have checked facts when they updated for the PW4/2018. Plus, missing Comfortlight PRO and 'backlight' were also wrong all those months ago.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
To be slightly objective the initial review is very old which can be seen in the comments. It’s over 5 months old which I think does predate when overdrive was added to every device outside of the Aura One.
I do think Kobo should have just included Overdrive integration with the Clara HD from day one. The reviews that I've found for the Forma that usually prefer the Kindle do tout Overdrive as a positive. Since Kobo finally did update all their current readers before the Forma launched, they should have given the Clara that killer feature from day one.

A clueless reviewer is less at fault than Kobo's clay feet, to me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What bothers me most about Wirecutter and its clueless reviews is that it's owned by the NY Times which frequently links to it. I'd like to think the Times was more invested in getting it right in all their companies.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do think Kobo should have just included Overdrive integration with the Clara HD from day one. The reviews that I've found for the Forma that usually prefer the Kindle do tout Overdrive as a positive. Since Kobo finally did update all their current readers before the Forma launched, they should have given the Clara that killer feature from day one.

A clueless reviewer is less at fault than Kobo's clay feet, to me.
I’d agree fully with you but for the fact that they updated for the new paperwhite. At that point they’re going back in to the review and should check the standings of the other device(s) especially when it was just a single other device.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What bothers me most about Wirecutter and its clueless reviews is that it's owned by the NY Times which frequently links to it. I'd like to think the Times was more invested in getting it right in all their companies.

Interesting, I didn't know that... that makes it worse
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I’d agree fully with you but for the fact that they updated for the new paperwhite. At that point they’re going back in to the review and should check the standings of the other device(s) especially when it was just a single other device.
Yes, yes. I wasn't defending Wirecutter so much as being disappointed in Kobo for not doing it right in the first place.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Good one. We should have done that too. ����

Nope I won't. They still should have checked facts when they updated for the PW4/2018. Plus, missing Comfortlight PRO and 'backlight' were also wrong all those months ago.
You’re right, and even worse that they are affiliated with the NYT. Forgiveness retracted.

EDIT: So maybe they do have an interest in pushing people toward amazon rather than kobo, and I’m not paranoid after all.