Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #46
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Well, they already have an android based version of the Kindle basic for china ( same 167 ppi screen, no light )
https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B074JJ4WLF
[ Yes, I have downloaded the source code and software updates for this one, it definitely is android based - https://www.amazon.cn/gp/help/custom...eId=202167860]

So I would not be terribly surprised if they release an android based paperwhite, either under this same co-brand they are doing the above for, or just as a general release.

I'm personally convinced they are saving the 6.x.x software range for android.

From that link above, the software update download link is named "Software update 5.7.2.3", but the actual file is named update-kindle-6.1.2_user_612491020.bin
Thanks, I just hope that whatever they have will be offered to the general public. I know the Japanese Paperwhite had 32gb, and was for sale used at Woot, and sold out. So it would make sense that any new Paperwhite might have 32gb also. It would also make sense to make one that's a little bigger to read comics on. I know that's popular in the Asian market, and would probably be included on the next Paperwhite sold in western markets too.

Last edited by Wearever; 10-12-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #47
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
So I would not be terribly surprised if they release an android based paperwhite, either under this same co-brand they are doing the above for, or just as a general release.

I'm personally convinced they are saving the 6.x.x software range for android.
The original Kindle Fire tablet used the 6.x numbers. I'm pointing out the similarity in numbering, not saying it's the same code.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #48
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I guess my rumor is that the quality control on Amazon Warehouse Deals isn't what it used to be.

I wanted to buy another spare Kindle Keyboard after losing one on the Philadelphia El train. Unsurprisingly, a lost and found visit was fruitless. Pennsylvania is not Taiwan.

So I bought a Kindle Keyboard WiFi, used "very good," last week. When it arrived (less than 48 hours, free shipping, not Prime), I tried putting in my WiFi password. It was hard going, since at least three of the keyboard keys registered the adjacent letter. That's inconsistent with how Amazon describes very good condition. And it's inconsistent with past experience of very good being almost indistinguishable from new. So I did a quick RMA, dropping it off at our nearby Amazon free return location, just be be sure return postage didn't become an issue.

Then, this past Monday, I ordered another very good condition WiFi Kindle Keyboard. It arrived tonight with two stickers on the inside box. One said it was a very good Kindle Keyboard, and the other said it was a very good Kindle Voyage WiFi. Open the box, and the device exactly matches a picture of the Voyage. I call customer service, and they say it's up to me whether I return or keep.

My wife Barbara and I find the Kindle Keyboard to be perfect (at least if you don't sit on it without a case). Can't get better than perfect, can you? Lighting where we read always seems fine, so who needs a built-in light. On the other hand -- we paid $32.90 for a Keyboard, and the very good Voyage goes for $138.12. So that means it's 4.2 times better, right? Well, actually, no, can't be. But I just registered and tested the Voyage, and can't find anything, mechanically or physically, distinguishing it from new. So we'll keep it and see how the 1 percent (or is it the 10 percent?) read.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
My wife Barbara and I find the Kindle Keyboard to be perfect (at least if you don't sit on it without a case). Can't get better than perfect, can you? Lighting where we read always seems fine, so who needs a built-in light. On the other hand -- we paid $32.90 for a Keyboard, and the very good Voyage goes for $138.12. So that means it's 4.2 times better, right? Well, actually, no, can't be. But I just registered and tested the Voyage, and can't find anything, mechanically or physically, distinguishing it from new. So we'll keep it and see how the 1 percent (or is it the 10 percent?) read.
I think I would hang on to the Voyage. But if you still want another Kindle Keyboard you might want to try Shop Goodwill (www.shopgoodwill.com). You can usually find one there for around $20 or $25 shipped. (Shipping and "handling" is almost always over $10 at Shop Goodwill.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 AM   #50
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This event is in Beijing which makes me very strongly suspect that whatever they're announcing is going to be targeted at the Chinese market. If it were something targeted at the western world, they'd probably announce it in Seattle like I've heard that all kindles that they sold in the US were introduced (but not cared to take the effort to confirm that)
Or maybe some place like LA, Chicago, NYC, or SF.
But not Beijing.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #51
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
This event is in Beijing which makes me very strongly suspect that whatever they're announcing is going to be targeted at the Chinese market. If it were something targeted at the western world, they'd probably announce it in Seattle like I've heard that all kindles that they sold in the US were introduced (but not cared to take the effort to confirm that)
But not Beijing.
I, too, highly suspect that they are merely introducing a new bundle deal for the Chinese market, like the ones on offer here:
https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B07CD9TR55/...9346931&sr=1-5
and here:
https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B074RHN75D/...9346931&sr=1-6
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
But not Beijing.
I would love for it to be a China-only event; that would prove my take right and Badereader lies wrong.

But I really think it is a new Kindle.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Amazon held a briefing in San Francisco yesterday.

It's a new Kindle.

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-12-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:57 AM   #54
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
I have been told that this is the new Kindle Paperwhite 4 and this will be the first time this e-reader has been refreshed since the 3rd generation model came out in June 2015.
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #55
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Old prophecy finally come to life!

If this is indeed merely an upgrade to the Paperwhite with the same form factor and dimensions then I'd be a tad bit disappointed. From the looks of the picture, it might just be that though...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #56
Maikax
Maikax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad 1y.... ¡Kindle Paperwhite!
¡¡¡QUÉ EMOCIÓN!!! Kobo Forma o Paperwhite ?
Maikax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #57
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Old prophecy finally come to life!

If this is indeed merely an upgrade to the Paperwhite with the same form factor and dimensions then I'd be a tad bit disappointed. From the looks of the picture, it might just be that though...
It would explain why they would be holding it in China. If they are just going to be adding bluetooth, a better processor, and more memory to the Paperwhite and/or a better screen for the basic Kindle, there isn't much point to having an event here.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #58
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
It would explain why they would be holding it in China. If they are just going to be adding bluetooth, a better processor, and more memory to the Paperwhite and/or a better screen for the basic Kindle, there isn't much point to having an event here.
Except they had an event here. It was on Thursday.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #59
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
There is one part interesting in this article. The last times he always said that "it will have comfortlight" that sounded like a copycat approach (e.g. simply add additional red or amber leds to mix). Now that is changed to:
Quote:
It is also said to have a new color temperature system that is quite different from what Kobo is doing.
We will see. I would be interested in custom white balance if it allows both ways - warmer AND colder.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #60
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Amazon held a briefing in San Francisco yesterday.

It's a new Kindle.
I have the Oasis 2, which I love, and a Voyage for my handbag as I never go anywhere without a Kindle. I’m in the market for a Voyage replacement though because my Voyage is starting to play up

I just hope it’s not too expensive
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote