Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
pamEDT
pamEDT began at the beginning.

Device: 8" Amazon Fire tablet, DragonTouch Tablet
Help with KFX files, please

First post- and apologies - I've tried to make my way around these KFX files, to no avail.
I have a Fire 7, which I use mainly as a reader. I have Calibre 3.30.0. , in which I keep my books. For amazon.ca books, I use the Kindle for Mac to keep books in til I get them into calibre. I then add them to the Fire as wanted.
I have installed in calibre the DRM tools 6.5.5 from Alf. I've downloaded the 6.6.1 version, but I can't figure out how to get it onto calibre.
I have the new version of KFX input 1.8.0 installed on calibre.

I've shut down calibre, reopened, and tried to add a kindle book, but it won't open.
I Think the problem is the DRM 6.5.5 (?) ...if so Please tell me how to install the new version. I have it in my downloads, but can't see where it wants to be on calibre. I have read the Read me, but something isn't clicking !!
Thanks for any and all help.
Pam
pamEDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is it only that you want to read the books? I find it much easier to crack open the epub version.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
pamEDT

when I get books from amazon, the only file available seems to be the kfx zip. If there is an ePub available I would certainly prefer that.
Yes, I just want to read the books, I don't need to be able to work with them.

Thanks for the thought- if the epubs can be downloaded from amazon, please tell me where to get them....I haven't seen that option.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This thread has ways to avoid KFX: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371

Otherwise you will need to install the newer DeDRM plugin. To install plugins in calibre choose Preferences -> Plugins -> Load plugin from file.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
pamEDT

continuing help questions with KFX

Thank you for your reply, jhowell.
I would prefer to add the new plugin, if I can.
I've gone back to the DRM download, and reread the readme...and installed the plugin successfully !
I deleted one of my kindle books, and closed/reopened calibre- went to add books, to the kindle books to add the .azw, and it didn't appear as its name, just the number that kindle gives them (an aside, WHY can't they NAME their book files ?) and it does not open- still called a KFX-zip.

What am I missing ?

Thanks again, Pam
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamEDT View Post
What am I missing ?
It will take more information to find out what is happening. You will need to create a log of the import process.

Since the problem may relate to DRM removal it would probably be best to take the discussion to either Apprentice Harper's GitHub or Apprentice Alf's blog.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
pamEDT

Hi,
I will try that, after I figure out how to create the log. Thanks so much, I will keep in mind that I can "backtrack"- go to the older version of kindle.

Pam
Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamEDT View Post
when I get books from amazon, the only file available seems to be the kfx zip. If there is an ePub available I would certainly prefer that.
Yes, I just want to read the books, I don't need to be able to work with them.

Thanks for the thought- if the epubs can be downloaded from amazon, please tell me where to get them....I haven't seen that option.
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you! When I borrow books from the state e-brary, I have my choice of Kindle or epub, and when I get them from the University library nearby, they're always epub.

Maybe you could buy the epub from Barnes & Noble? They're usually the same price.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
pamEDT

Thanks, Notjohn.
Yes, when I have my druthers, I also get books from the elibrary, or other internet library, and, as you say, they are the much preferred epubs. Sometimes, amazon has ebooks not available from other sources, (or at less cost), but unfortunately are now in the kfx-zip files.
With jhowell's help here and on Apprentice Harper's forum, I now can get the kfx-zips readable in calibre, which was my issue.
I appreciate your input.
Pam