Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #31
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got mine in covers also. It's a noticeable issue around the Page Turn buttons. I'm guessing if you don't use the Page Turn buttons (on the original NST, not on the one with the Glowlight) that it probably wouldn't happen (or at least wouldn't be an issue).
I've never used the page turn buttons and have not experienced the problem. I don't know how anyone can use those buttons. They really hard to press. I rooted my nook, and in Alreader set all touch zones around the edges of the screen to page forward, so I don't need to use the buttons.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I've never used the page turn buttons and have not experienced the problem. I don't know how anyone can use those buttons. They really hard to press. I rooted my nook, and in Alreader set all touch zones around the edges of the screen to page forward, so I don't need to use the buttons.
I like the buttons on the Nook Simple Touches. For my hands they seemed to be about perfectly placed.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #33
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cband7 View Post
Received this from B&N help desk a short while ago

((reply))

Thank you for writing to us.

We would like inform you that the NOOK Shelf in your NOOK Library are only for NOOK Books only or eBooks that are purchased from Barnes and Noble.

Sincerely,

Albert

NOOK Support Agent
Barnes & Noble

((end - in more ways than one..... ))

Yep. Every time I side-loaded a new book to the Glowlight 3 it wiped out all the shelves I created. Every. Single. Time.

I now use a Kobo Clara HD.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Yep. Every time I side-loaded a new book to the Glowlight 3 it wiped out all the shelves I created. Every. Single. Time.
Well that's just stupid. So, to clarify, side-loaded books were available but you couldn't customize their organization? Or did they disappear altogether?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #35
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well that's just stupid. So, to clarify, side-loaded books were available but you couldn't customize their organization? Or did they disappear altogether?
The side-loaded books were there. The shelves created on the device would disappear unless there was a B&N downloaded book on them. Even on those shelves with B&N products, the side-loaded books disappeared from the shelves (but not from the device).

My hunch is that each time ANY new files were side-loaded, the Glowlight 3 interpreted ALL the side-loaded material as newly added to the device. You could see it happen. The covers of all those side-loaded books would briefly appear in the "new and recent" section of the home page. They would march by like toy soldiers.

As I have over 2000 volumes on my Kobo, you can imagine that this behavior of the NOOK Glowlight 3 quickly became unmanageable.

In B&N's defense, they make no money on side-loaded books, so why should they invest resources in helping us use them?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
In B&N's defense, they make no money on side-loaded books, so why should they invest resources in helping us use them?
Thanks for the recap. I really don't think B&N's action is defensible. They're purposely crippling their device and ruining their user's experience. However, since I don't carry a whole lot of books on my eReaders (one has a little over a hundred and that's an exception) I might still be interested in the Glowlight 3 at some point. I just wanted to make sure that side-loaded books could be read. And going in knowing the limitations is a lot different than expecting a product to work a certain way and finding that it doesn't.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #37
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
In the process of giving all my old Nooks (4 of them) away to nieces and nephews. Bought a Glowlight 3 and encountered this exact same issue (shelves).
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote