Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Dendra
Dendra began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Plugin won't de-DRM legal Nook book

Hi! I'm very confused and need help.

In the past I could download my purchased Nook books using the app, then import them into Calibre to remove the DRM and read happily. It doesn't work any more.

I updated Calibre to 3.27.1, and imported version 6.6. of Apprentice Alf's plugin. I tried to import a book I bought last year to re-read and I can't open it. I keep getting the error message "The book is locked by DRM....." I think I need to customize the B&N part of the plugin but can't find the directions on how to do it. Can anyone help? Or if I'm on the wrong track point me to the right one?

Thanks!
Dendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For detailed DRM removal help you'll need to go to the Apprentice Alf blog. There should be a readme file with the tools you downloaded that might be of help too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendra View Post
Hi! I'm very confused and need help.

In the past I could download my purchased Nook books using the app, then import them into Calibre to remove the DRM and read happily. It doesn't work any more.

I updated Calibre to 3.27.1, and imported version 6.6. of Apprentice Alf's plugin. I tried to import a book I bought last year to re-read and I can't open it. I keep getting the error message "The book is locked by DRM....." I think I need to customize the B&N part of the plugin but can't find the directions on how to do it. Can anyone help? Or if I'm on the wrong track point me to the right one?

Thanks!
I had this problem recently with a comic I purchased from B&N. The solution was pretty simple. go to Apprentice Alf's blog and you should get some help.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I hate to revive an old thread, but the old standard tools don't seem to work any longer.

I've been backing up my epubs from my B&N account using Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins for years. I've used the same key for at least seven years. That stopped just recently when I went to login to B&N and they forced me to change my password. With the decryption key being based on your email and password, this broke my old key. I tried used the latest version of the Calibre plug-in to get my new key, but it won't connect and returns nothing. It errors out. I get an error that says "Could not retrieve key. Check username, password and internet connectivity and try again." I've verified that I have the correct information and I have internet access. The tool just isn't working. I've been trying for several days now with no luck.

Is there any other way to get your B&N decryption key these days?

Thanks.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post

Is there any other way to get your B&N decryption key these days?

Thanks.
If there is, I cannot find it. My B&N books stopped working with Alf tools around the first of the year. It all started when B&N made me change my password. I haven't found any way around it. Supposedly you can get the new encryption key somehow from a rooted Android device. However, the procedure sounded way over my head.

Even though I have the new Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8 and I like it very much, I have been buying my books elsewhere. It's really a shame.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
If there is, I cannot find it. My B&N books stopped working with Alf tools around the first of the year. It all started when B&N made me change my password. I haven't found any way around it. Supposedly you can get the new encryption key somehow from a rooted Android device. However, the procedure sounded way over my head.

Even though I have the new Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8 and I like it very much, I have been buying my books elsewhere. It's really a shame.
My Nook HD+ is rooted, so I was able to find my key using the information I found on the GitHub issues log for the DeDRM tool. The password reset wouldn't let me use the same password, so I had to change it. Later, I got to wondering, now that I'd changed it, could I go change it again, and make it my same old password. It let me. When I checked the key that I got from my Nook, it was the same as the old one that used to work. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but you may want to give that a try, assuming you remember what your password was when the tools worked, then try it again.

It's hard to believe it might be that simple, but maybe. It's worth a shot.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I just encountered this problem for the first time. (I'd been successfully importing books downloaded through the new Nook app on Windows, until my latest purchase.) Checked here to see if there was a fix, but I guess not. I trust those apprentice-geniuses are working on it. Hope so. I have a sizable BN gift card I've been working my way through, but this sure throws a spanner in the works! I'd hate to have to use the Nook app to read my books.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #8
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I just encountered this problem for the first time. (I'd been successfully importing books downloaded through the new Nook app on Windows, until my latest purchase.) Checked here to see if there was a fix, but I guess not. I trust those apprentice-geniuses are working on it. Hope so. I have a sizable BN gift card I've been working my way through, but this sure throws a spanner in the works! I'd hate to have to use the Nook app to read my books.
They may be working on it, and I'm sure this forum and the issues log on the GitHub site will be the first places to hear the news, but they may never get it worked out since B&N seems to be abandoning the Nook app for PC and maybe the Mac as well.

You can still get the information you need to make your own decryption key though, if you own or have access to a rooted Android device. If you do, I'd be glad to help you with it.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They may be working on it, and I'm sure this forum and the issues log on the GitHub site will be the first places to hear the news, but they may never get it worked out since B&N seems to be abandoning the Nook app for PC and maybe the Mac as well.

You can still get the information you need to make your own decryption key though, if you own or have access to a rooted Android device. If you do, I'd be glad to help you with it.
Are they abandoning the new Nook app on Windows? That hasn't been around that long, or at least it's not been that long since I was forced to switch over to it.

I have an aging Nook HD+ that I wouldn't mind having rooted, except that I don't have the slightest idea how to do that. (Nor the time, if it's an involved process. Is it?)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic

It depends on what you mean by "app". If you mean app, as in application software, there has been one version or another of the Nook for Windows application for the better part of 8-10 years. And yes, they're abandoning it. At least that's what I've read.

I also have an old Nook HD+. I'd really need to look into what I did way back when. Mine has been rooted almost since day one. If I remember, it was relatively easy, and didn't take over a couple of hours of research, downloading the tools, creating an SD card, and then booting with it and running the tools. We're talking almost 7 years though.

It would do what you needed though. It all depends on how badly you want it.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I haven't seen any indication that they are abandoning the Nook app from the Windows store. They just abandoned the Nook for PC program. However, that doesn't help with the problem of getting books liberated. I haven't been able to successfully import books from the Windows app since about the first of the year. It would be really nice if someone would figure out how to make this happen because I don't have access to a rooted Android device. I have been buying all my books elsewhere even though I have the new Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8 which I like very much.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Some can remove the DRM from newly bought nook books and some cannot. I cannot. So my solution is to stop buying from B&N. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:

Well, I just rooted my Nook HD+, surprisingly easily, with the tools I found here:
https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress...oid-7-upgrade/

I need to install the Nook app still, which I'll have to do from an APK file. Is there a particular version of the app I should install to be able to extract the decryption key?

Actually, I just installed version 5.0.2.38, and downloaded a book from my account. Now I just need to know how to find the key.

Last edited by starrigger; 09-30-2019 at 02:57 AM.