Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #661
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Allright, quick update. @BR There should be no issue in having an empty tag for the marking according to the code, it is actually accounted for. But, you cannot change the marker in the settings due to an error. I fixed that.

With regards to the other issue with the tagging of the formatting. I have created an alternative method for tagging and I will test this tomorrow on Word 365. It works on Word 2007, but then again so did the original code... If it works, I will utilize the same mechanism for the untagging. Stay tuned.

BTW if you want to add votes to my 'idea' to fix Word, you can add your votes here: https://office365.uservoice.com/foru...matting-in-wor

Last edited by Toxaris; 09-20-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #662
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, I tested the update and it worked fine. However, I also tested the old mechanism again and that also seemed to work again. Can anybody confirm this as well?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #663
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Win10 1803 (up to date,)
Word 365 MSO (16.0.10730.20102) 32-bit, (on 1 month trial)
ePubTools 1.27

Tag Formatting: It seems to be working!!!

Mark Tool: I just edited the ePubTools.cfg file and removed the '###' from Mark Tag. And it worked, i.e. I get colour marking without any tag!!

I can assure you that did not work the other day. Yet prior to that it had been working for years, I removed the "ToxarisMark" (??) from ePubTools.cfg with an editor years ago.

Add-In disabled: In Tex2002ans' most recent post (last para) he mentions that ePubTools sometimes goes AWOL, that's also happened to me. My experience with Word 2007/2010/2016 was that it was permanent, and could only be reinstated by a fresh install, including the configuration folder. But, when it went AWOL the other day with Word 365, it was reinstated when I stopped/started Word.

I have 2 other COM Add-ins, that I've also used for years, neither has ever exhibited this problem.

Weirdness prevails.

Added: Does this mean they fixed Find/Replace with formatting in Word - in FIVE (5) *&^%$@ DAYS!! For everyone or just thee and me!!!! I added three votes to your Bug report

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #664
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Added: Does this mean they fixed Find/Replace with formatting in Word - in FIVE (5) *&^%$@ DAYS!! For everyone or just thee and me!!!! I added three votes to your Bug report

BR
Yes, I was amazed as well they solved it so fast. Then again, I think the Find/Replace function of Word is heavily used so any issues in that area needed to be fixed fast.

Thanks for confirming BR. Now I think of it, your issues with the Mark might also be caused by these bugs they now fixed.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #665
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Win10 1803 (up to date,)
Word 365 MSO (16.0.10730.20102) 32-bit, (on 1 month trial)
ePubTools 1.27

Tag Formatting: It seems to be working!!!

Mark Tool: I just edited the ePubTools.cfg file and removed the '###' from Mark Tag. And it worked, i.e. I get colour marking without any tag!!

I can assure you that did not work the other day. Yet prior to that it had been working for years, I removed the "ToxarisMark" (??) from ePubTools.cfg with an editor years ago.

Add-In disabled: In Tex2002ans' most recent post (last para) he mentions that ePubTools sometimes goes AWOL, that's also happened to me. My experience with Word 2007/2010/2016 was that it was permanent, and could only be reinstated by a fresh install, including the configuration folder. But, when it went AWOL the other day with Word 365, it was reinstated when I stopped/started Word.

I have 2 other COM Add-ins, that I've also used for years, neither has ever exhibited this problem.

Weirdness prevails.

BR
Wait, Red--you've been able to get ePUBTools to REMAIN, and it shows back up through a simple restart? I have never been able to get it to remain.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #666
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wait, Red--you've been able to get ePUBTools to REMAIN, and it shows back up through a simple restart? I have never been able to get it to remain.

Hitch
@Hitch - that is based on a sample of one

I installed Office 365 (1 month Trial) last Monday to have a gander at the new "Editor Pane". As you've probably seen in Tex2002ans's recent S&G thread, I've been trying to wrap my head around the relationship between "Intelligent Services" and the "Editor Pane", that involved frequent stopping & restarting of Word.

After one restart I noticed ePubTools wasn't on the menu, I went to COM Addins, saw it was unchecked; so, with a deep sigh** I checked it and carried on with my "IS&EP" tests. Next time I stopped/restarted Word ePubTools was back on the menu, as it is now

** because I assumed the check mark wouldn't stick and I would have to do a fresh install and reinstate my preferred settings, which is what I've had to do previously.

BR
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #667
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I installed Office 365 (1 month Trial) last Monday to have a gander at the new "Editor Pane". As you've probably seen in Tex2002ans's recent S&G thread, I've been trying to wrap my head around the relationship between "Intelligent Services" and the "Editor Pane", that involved frequent stopping & restarting of Word.

After one restart I noticed ePubTools wasn't on the menu, I went to COM Addins, saw it was unchecked; so, with a deep sigh** I checked it and carried on with my "IS&EP" tests. Next time I stopped/restarted Word ePubTools was back on the menu, as it is now

** because I assumed the check mark wouldn't stick and I would have to do a fresh install and reinstate my preferred settings, which is what I've had to do previously.

BR
Deep sigh, indeed. I know whereof you speak. Thanks--I'll try reinstalling it. What's the worst that could happen--it disappears?

Hitch
Old 09-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #668
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

It's worth mentioning that its disappearance in earlier versions of Word was an occasional happening, the frequency of which diminished in more recent times.

Bugger, whyy am I getting key bouuuuunce

BR
Old 09-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #669
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

[...]

After one restart I noticed ePubTools wasn't on the menu, I went to COM Addins, saw it was unchecked; so, with a deep sigh** I checked it and carried on with my "IS&EP" tests.
lol. Yep, this damn COM Addons is so annoying. And like mentioned previously, I can't figure out a rhyme or reason on why it disables. Sometimes it happens if I closed a document and opened up the same exact one minutes later.

Now that I'm searching for it, I've found oddly similar complaints with Outlook:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...m-the-registry
https://community.spiceworks.com/top...or-slow-addins

Looks like there might be a thing added to more recent (2010+) versions of Office that auto-disables "slow" add-ins.

which lead me to these Microsoft links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...dd-ins-enabled
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/eme...-slow-add-ins/

That last link mentioned this:

Quote:
Outlook's resiliency logic was introduced with Outlook 2013 and it builds on the foundation set by the resiliency logic in Outlook 2010. As opposed to 2010, Outlook 2013 allows controlling how slow add-ins are handled, giving the users the option to go with the default logic and disable add-ins that take longer than 1 second to load or unload for example, or choose to always enable a certain add-in.
That last one also has some instructions on how to get it to NEVER disable the add-in (but this is for Outlook):

Spoiler:
Quote:
Solution / Workaround
To work around the resiliency logic, one can use a simple .reg file and add the add-in to the trusted addins list or a Group Policy Object to deploy the same values that would be generated locally to all the users in the domain:

1. Add a dword entry called ADDIN_NAME with a value data of 1 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\1x.0\Outlook\Resiliency\AddinList

2. Set the LoadBehavior (US English spelling!) dword value to 3 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outloo k\Addins\ADDIN_NAME

3. Delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\O utlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems key

4.Re-create the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\O utlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems key

5. Delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\O utlook\Resiliency\CrashingAddinList key

6. Re-create the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\O utlook\Resiliency\CrashingAddinList key

7.Add a dword entry called ADDIN_NAME with a value of 1 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\O utlook\Resiliency\DoNotDisableAddinList

... and here's another few I stumbled upon:

Re-enabling Microsoft Word Add-In after Error

Quote:
One of our customers had the problem, that each time he started Word, he had to manually activate the Add-In (Word Options > Add-Ins > Go... > tick the checkbox for the corresponding Add-In). [...]
Or this one:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...or/td-p/125516

where the person had their addin being disabled after a crash. They mentioned looking in the:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Word/AddInLoadTimes
I did poke around in my own Registry, and see this folder:

Note: I currently have Word 2016.

Code:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\AddInLoadTimes
with a:

Code:
Name: Toxaris.ePUB Tools
Type: REB_BINARY
Data:
05 00 00 00 96 01 00 00
87 01 00 00 A6 01 00 00
68 01 00 00 58 01 00 00
No idea what that's used for... but according to the above link, once the person deleted it for their plugin... Word stopped auto-disabling their plugin. (But maybe they only had a sample of one! lol)

Quote:
One of our customers had the problem, that each time he started Word, he had to manually activate the Add-In (Word Options > Add-Ins > Go... > tick the checkbox for the corresponding Add-In). [...]
Long Story Short

Perhaps EPUB Tools hung/crashed some time in the past, which created that registry key.

Then because of that registry key, Word thinks EPUBTools is "slow" and goes on the random hunt to disable automatically.

(Perhaps this also occurs after you do a huge cleanup/export? I'll have to pay more attention on what I'm working on before it disables.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-23-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #670
Toxaris
Wizard

Basically it should only disable after a force close of Word. Even if it started slow (which it shouldn't), it should ask you if you want to disable it in the future.

The thing is, I never had the issues with this. It is always there when I start Word and it has been like that in every Word version I tested it with. I know it differs for some other people, but I really wished I knew why so I could try and fix it.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #671
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Toxaris - if/when it happens again, and if re-check in the COM Addins list doesn't work, I'll try deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\W ord\AddInLoadTimes\Toxaris.ePUB Tools registry value.

I've never been asked if I want to disable it, it just hits it over the fence off its own bat.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-23-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #672
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
@Toxaris - if/when it happens again, and if re-check in the COM Addins list doesn't work, I'll try deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\W ord\AddInLoadTimes\Toxaris.ePUB Tools registry value.

I've never been asked if I want to disable it, it just hits it over the fence off its own bat.

BR
This. I've NEVER been asked, it just disappears.

Hitch
Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #673
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

This morning ePubTools wasn't in the ribbon menu when I started Word 365, so I closed and restarted it. Lo and begorrah ePubTools was there!

Probably a timing glitch. It has disappeared twice under Office 365 and a simple stop/start fixed it twice.

I'm not 100% sure, but they seemed to have fixed a couple of irritants in the Editor panel. Silently & quickly... like they fixed Tox's Find and Replace problem.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-09-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add third para
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #674
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hi Toxaris, the Does Tool Exist... thread reminded me of one of my 'I wish I had . . .' thoughts. Maybe it could be included in the new version.

A new item in the Check tools group: Grammar & style, which would include a Detect contractions: drop down with these choices -- None, All and Narrative only. Would need to filter out possessives. I would use the Narrative only option, I imagine it working in the same way as I use the Dialogue checker - pause and allow me to correct the 'error' or ignore.

Touch wood I've not had the add-in disappear of late, maybe MS did some tweaks. Thought bubble -- or maybe it's because I installed the 64 bit version of Office. The 64bit version starts up noticeably faster than the 32bit version.

BR
Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #675
Toxaris
Wizard

I haven't read up on that thread yet, but will do (BTW, my alternative spelling checker does not rely on Hunspell, by default it will use the Word dictionaries).

I don't fully grasp what you are looking for to be honest. I also sounds it is very, very language specific and, for English, also country specific. It sounds like a programming nightmare to be honest.