Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I wonder if the recent MobiPocket shut-down might have been complicated by efforts toward gearing up for integrating it into Amazon proper.
That would make sense, since Amazon is likely to want to use their own datacenters for DRM servers. Amazon's infrastructure is amazing.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #32
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It all depends on whether they want to sell hardware or content. Personally, I have a hard time understanding why they jumped into the hardware market, with so many less expensive readers already out there. Whether it's the EVDO connection or something to do with the way they want to use the keyboard, it had better be a huge usability improvement over existing models.
The potential is there. They can absolutlely lock down an ebook to one reader, attracting authors/publishers, offer subscription/rental models, and a lot of other things with EVDO. It also should be usable by a lot of people that don't understand or use computers. Combine that with the possiblity of adjusting the font size, and you've got a device that might be attractive to the 'Gray Panthers.'

Ralph
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #33
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
The potential is there. They can absolutlely lock down an ebook to one reader, attracting authors/publishers, offer subscription/rental models, and a lot of other things with EVDO.

Ralph
Sony tried this with Librie, failed miserably, learned the lesson. Gemstar tried this with the original Ebk1150, went out of business (at least the e-book one).

Locking the reader is not going to work, because either (most probably) it will fail or if it's cool like the iPhone it will get cracked soon.

I am really eager for the details of the Kindle since right now we only know rumors...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #34
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@HarryT

Sorry for the late reply...

I do consider the Iliad's battery life to be extremely weak and the boot imtes to be too long.
This is due to the way I read. I'm not somebody who commutes regularly or spends lots of time in aeroplanes where there is nothing else to do but reading...

I like to pick up a book when I have a few minutes somehwere, read a few pages and then put it away again. This simply does not work with the Iliad because if I leave it on after reading during breakfast it'll be down to almost half battery by the time I pick it up for some afternoon reading. If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load.
I did not realize this at first, but after I while I found that my reading "throughput" (amount of books read in a certain time) went down considerably when I was using the Iliad and went up again quite a bit when I used the STAReBOOK.
I'm not going to start a vendette against the Iliad (again) now, but I still greatly regret it's shortcomings in these respects...

Now, back to topic!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I like to pick up a book when I have a few minutes somehwere, read a few pages and then put it away again. This simply does not work with the Iliad because if I leave it on after reading during breakfast it'll be down to almost half battery by the time I pick it up for some afternoon reading. If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load.
Yes, I completely agree with you that, if that's the way you read, the iLiad is not an ideal choice. I generally read in quite long sessions, and for that, it's ideal. I probably read on average for 2-3 hours a day, and have to recharge mine perhaps once every 3 or 4 days. For me, it's the perfect reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Which perfectly highlights the need for the availability of various types of readers.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Right. I knew about this aspect of the iLiad before I bought mine, thanks to the folks on this forum and my reading style is more like HarryT's, so it works for me. But I also use my iLiad as a general-purpose notebook, and I can't use it to take casual notes, which I do find annoying. (I'm a lot more likely to want to write something down in a couple of spare moments than read anything.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #38
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
@HarryT
...If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load...
THAT is a mission critical feature for sure...seriously I mean that...hehehehe...the "reading room" must be supported!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #39
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
(Coming to this late, but ...)

I have been informed via my editor at Ace that Amazon is having a major ebook push in October. This has fed back into requests for hitherto unavailable titles (in ebook format, at least), and two of my books that Ace's ebook people were sitting on the rights to are now in the process of being converted into ebook format as part of their response to Amazon.

This is just one data point, but it strongly supports the speculation that Amazon are going to shovel out a whole lot of original content on or around October 15th, which in turn supports the possibility that the Kindle is likely to launch around then.

As it happens (by sheer coincidence I have a speaking engagement at Amazon HQ in Seattle on October 9th. If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #40
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
As it happens (by sheer coincidence I have a speaking engagement at Amazon HQ in Seattle on October 9th. If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).
Charlie -- Remind them of the results of Baen's experience with ebooks, pricing, and DRM. Please? It need not be a major portion of your talk, but it couldn't hurt in terms of spreading commercial sanity, eh?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #41
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Charlie -- Remind them of the results of Baen's experience with ebooks, pricing, and DRM. Please? It need not be a major portion of your talk, but it couldn't hurt in terms of spreading commercial sanity, eh?

Xenophon
It's a little late for that. A launch like that has to be set in concrete months ahead. Their planners know their market, their lives are set on it. No way of changing their views than voting with your dollars.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #42
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Great news, cstross!
Quote:
It's a little late for that. A launch like that has to be set in concrete months ahead. Their planners know their market, their lives are set on it. No way of changing their views than voting with your dollars.
Oh, I don't know. Planting the seed of reason can help, if they do go with some silly DRM and then sales aren't what they'd like them to be.

But I'm slightly encouraged by their recent adventures in MP3 music.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #43
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What marvelous news, cstross! That's extremely exciting and encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).
All I have to say about that is take a ruddy camera with you! Even if it's just the one in your cell phone!

Remember we have a karma bounty out for the first pic of the real live Kindle.

At this stage, I think we'd settle for a sketch from memory, or even just a comment about whether it looks like the Fugly prototype or not!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #44
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
I'm there to give a reading, not sneak around the Secret Labs!

Having said that, obviously if I learn anything that I can pass on in public, I will do so. Less obviously, I'm carrying a cameraless phone at present because the phone that has one (a Nokia E90) is in the shop for repair.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

So they've got 11 whole days to get your phone back to you.

You never know what you might happen to stroll past in a hallway ... especially if you happen to get 'lost' looking for the bathroom.