Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
skn
reader
skn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura H20 or Cybook Muse HD? (Replacement for Aura HD)

Seems my Kobo Aura HD is dead. Opinions if H2O is obvious replacement, or would cheaper Bookeen Cybook Muse HD be good enough? CyBook is 139 € and H2O over 200 €. On the other hand H2Os are available on eBay at reasonable prices... (actually, it seems to be only place where it is available -- Kobo fails to offer its products for sale anywhere, even its own webshop).

H2O has bigger display (6.8" vs. 6" may make difference), and I am used to touch screen page flip, physical buttons may not be as nice. Physical light switch is nice though (doubles as night light).

Is CyBook compatible with Calibre? I use Calibre to manage my library. Does CyBook understand Calibre collections as Kobo does?

Any thoughts?
skn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you are used to the Aura HD, I think the H2O would be best. It's similar to the HD except the new H2O has 8GB storage, comfortlight pro, Carta screen for better contrast, and it's waterproof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There shouldn't be any problems with the muse and calibre.
I'm not that sure about collections, though. I use good old folders.

JSWolf have a point though, if you're used to the kobo interface, and don't have trouble with it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
skn
reader
skn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
H2O seems to be classier than Aura HD. I was somewhat disappointed on the quality of plastic in Aura, both in frame and display: both are quite soft plastic and scratched easily. H2O seems to be rubberized at last in the backside.

I have no problem with folders but Kobo does not support them, collections are the only way to organize content.
skn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre makes organizing collections very very simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if things have improved, skn, but I gave up on Bookeen years ago because of their extremely buggy firmware, with devices hanging up literally every few minutes of reading. Perhaps they've improved since, but I wouldn't personally take the chance. I'd go with Jon's advice and get the H2O.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have no experience with CyBook. I love my H2O though, and would recommend it to anyone.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote