Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
English country houses or "Liberty Hall"

I've experienced a few occasions of American "Liberty Hall", that is an extended holiday at a friend's holiday retreat. Things were largely unstructured, but there were organized walks or a run into town. Dinner was a specific event. But the ground rules were, "Wake up when you like, there is coffee and carbohydrates there, too. We'll have a bit more organized (but not compulsory) brunch at 10 AM or so. If you want to go for a walk, just go. Lunch is whatever we throw together."

Not being megalomaniacal, I've never wanted to own such a place, but I would like to have been the insignificant relation of the owner of a English country house.

I'd be interested in any comments on this theme, but specifically, I wanted to know: I'm horrible at sleeping and get up early. If I get up at 5 AM, can I mosey down to the lower levels in my bathrobe and say, "I'd kill for a cup of tea", or must (should) I ring a bell? At what time would the fires be started? Who is the first person up? Would it be a transgression if I went downstairs?

Last edited by Renate; 08-20-2023 at 08:04 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:58 AM   #2
jamesss
Banned
jamesss began at the beginning.

Device: none
When staying at an English country house, the morning routine can vary. If you wake up early at 5 AM, it's best to inquire about their customs. You can either ring a bell or casually mosey downstairs in your bathrobe and request a cup of tea. The timing of fires and the first person up can differ, so it's essential to be respectful and communicate with the owners or staff to understand their specific routines. By showing consideration for their traditions, you'll make a positive impression and navigate the experience smoothly.
jamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 06:31 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I was thinking more historically and at different time periods. The chance that I would put this to practical use is unfortunately diminishingly small.

Once at a (non-English) nursing home there was always someone on duty that you could prod (nicely) to make you some coffee no matter how early.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... "Come In. This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... "Come In. This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"
Wow, that's a good one that I've never heard.
Although I didn't remember that I've read "Liberty Hall" in Goldsmith's "She Stoops to Conquer" apparently the pedigree starts there.
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Don't remember where i read that
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A. Bertram Chandler used it in quite a few of his Commodore John Grimes books.

A similar quote was used by Robert A. Heinlein in A Stranger in a Strange Land where Jubal Harshaw says: "This is Freedom Hall, my dear. Everyone does absolutely as he pleases ... then if he does something I don't like, I just kick him the hell out."

Last edited by DNSB; 08-22-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Wow, that's a good one that I've never heard.
Although I didn't remember that I've read "Liberty Hall" in Goldsmith's "She Stoops to Conquer" apparently the pedigree starts there.
"Mr. Marlow—Mr. Hastings—gentlemen—pray be under no constraint in this house. This is Liberty-hall, gentlemen. You may do just as you please here."—Oliver Goldsmith, She Stoops to Conquer