Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
lothlann
lothlann began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need some help switching reader

Hi,

Firstly, I am unsure if this is the correct forum so please move my post if there is a more suitable category.

I own a Sony PRS-700 which I have had for a while now. Recently got an iPad too to assist with my work. I am considering switching to a kindle because of the fact you can have your books on many devices.

I have several hundred books in EPUB format in calibre and am wondering how I would get these to a kindle? And, as they wouldnt be purchased from amazon, would they still be available on my phone and ipad?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, I am just unsure how the kindle software works, and what format it reads.

Many thanks,
lothlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle uses Mobipocket format. You'd need to remove the DRM from your ePub books in order to convert them to Mobi format for the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Assuming your library doesn't have any kind of DRM (or you're willing and able to remove it), Caliber can do the conversion for you fairly easily.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505

why do you need a kindle if you want to switch from sony to apple?

iPad, iPod and iPhone can display epub files just fine - as long as they are drm free.

Download iBooks for free from the app store ... and install on your i-Device.

Now just use iTunes, import your books there - I recommend using calibre, it's a wonderful software to help with your books, but just importing your books from their folder on your HDD works - connect your i-anything and shove your books to the device.

Open iBooks and your epubs are there, ready to go ....

If your epubs are still drm-infested, google apprentice alf, and come back

you see, no need to buy a kindle at all ...
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Hi - you certainly can remove the DRM and convert them into a Kindle compatible format and it's what I'd do because I'm a fan of the Kindle. If you do so you can read them on the iPhone/iPAD in the Kindle app or another mobi reader. There are also some Calibre functions to manipulate the files to sync your reading locations between your iThings and your (future) Kindle, which is kind of fun.

I just want to point out that you can put them on your new iPAD in their current state. There are a couple of choices for ADE ePub files. I actually un-DRM all my books and read them in other ways but you can put ADE ePub files into the Bluefire App.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluef...394275498?mt=8

That's the main one I'm aware of but I believe there are a couple of other choices.

Quote:
iPad, iPod and iPhone can display epub files just fine - as long as they are drm free.
As I said, there are Apps to display ePubs with DRM also.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

[...] but you can put ADE ePub files into the Bluefire App.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluef...394275498?mt=8

That's the main one I'm aware of but I believe there are a couple of other choices.

As I said, there are Apps to display ePubs with DRM also.
ok, learned something new again
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You can have your Kindle ebooks on many devices, but they will only sync to all devices if they were purchased from Amazon. Side-loaded content will not sync by default, though there are third-party solutions.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uluhara View Post
ok, learned something new again
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
lothlann

Thanks for the help guys. I still want to use a reader rather than read on my iPad. I just thought the kindle app on my ipad would be useful if I was somewhere and didn't have my kindle.

So am I correct in saying that Kindle will only sync the devices that I have purchased? If this is the case then it seems limited and not that useful for me. My library is almost all full of books I haven't purchased (hence no DRM), so conversion will be easy but it also means they will not sync.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlann View Post
So am I correct in saying that Kindle will only sync the devices that I have purchased?
Not quite. If you convert books to .mobi format in Calibre it adds the extra information needed for them to sync (even if the source file is a .mobi file), and they will sync across devices in the same way as books bought from Amazon would.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Not quite. If you convert books to .mobi format in Calibre it adds the extra information needed for them to sync (even if the source file is a .mobi file), and they will sync across devices in the same way as books bought from Amazon would.
To clarify this - they will sync the furthest page read; they WON'T sync bookmarks, annotations, etc, as Amazon-bought books will.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify this - they will sync the furthest page read; they WON'T sync bookmarks, annotations, etc, as Amazon-bought books will.
I didn't realise anything other than furthest page read got synchronised between books I did know that notes etc wouldn't be copied to kindle.amazon.com but didn't think to mention it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
lothlann

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That seems fine, I don't really use things like that. Only on my cases and statutes for work but I use my iPad for things like that.

Well that is excellent news that they will sync even though they aren't purchased from Amazon.

I thank you all for your collective, and rather impressive, knowledge.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
I would suggest you keep ePub and ePub supporting devices as your standard. ePub is the international standard for book formats. This should make your purchased books easier to move among the different devices you own or will own in the future. Everything in Amazon is designed to tie you up to their store, software and devices and thats not good. As for the iPad, I use Bluefire to read my Sony ePubs.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
B&N Nook and Kobo both support Adobe DRM epub files, which is what you have if you bought your books from Sony. Both have dedicated eReading devices as well as apps you can use on your iPad. From what I've read I don't think you can sideload content from other stores onto the Nook app, but you can on the Kobo app. You can, however, use Bluefire to read on your iPad as others have mentioned.

You have freedom of choice now because you have epub files. Personally, I wouldn't trade that to be locked in to Amazon with your future ebook purchases.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote