Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
TCDNV
TCDNV began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Delete authors who do not have books on the Clara

Hi Folks,

Brand new owner/user of a Clara HD. I have Googled and search here but I am unable to find a solution to my problem.

A little history:

While waiting for my Clara to arrive I scoured sites like project Gutenberg and Feedbooks and downloaded many books. Unfortunately I did not understand all of the ebook formats and related issues.

Yesterday when I received my Clara HD I sync'd my Clara with Calibre and many of the books I now had in Calibre only to discover that I had many books that were not in a compatible format with Calibre/Kobo. I thought no problem and deleted all of the non-compatible books in Calibre.

I converted and side loaded the books that I could and everything seemed fine. Then I happened to sort my books by author on the Clara and I discovered that I had many authors with no books!

Unfortunately, all of the instructions I can find online refer to deleting items on the Clara by the book and I cannot find a way to delete authors who do not have books on the Clara: Calibre no long shower the authors.

I should add that I am a long time Linux user and very concerned about privacy so I hacked the Clara to avoid being forced into establishing a Kobo account to use my Clars (a trivial task).

I will ask in another posting about using Overdrive because that is my main intended use of the Clara and I do not have Overdrive on my Clara even after doing an system upgrade to the current system. I mention this because I could easily reset the Clara and start over if that is the answer to original issue.

All info and Comments Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
TCDNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Where are you seeing the authors without books? The authors list is automatically built based on books on the device. I can think of two possibilities for getting authors with zero books, but, one requires an external SD card, and the other would be related to purchased books. As the Clara HD doesn't have an external SD card, and it sounds like you are only sideloading, I don't think either will be the case.

But, if you are creating collections for the authors, then there is an option in the KoboTouch driver to automatically delete empty collections.

The only other thing I can think of is something in memory that needs to be cleaned up. Restarting the device should solve that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
TCDNV

Howdy,

Thank you very much for the reply!

I turned off the Clara and turned it back on. On the home page it shows that in "My Books" I have six books. The I select My Books and then select "Authors" and I get five pages of authors each with one book. When I select any author with one book I get the message that says "You have no books yet".

Did you mean turn off the Clara or reset the Clara in your comment that I should restart?

Thanks again!
Tom
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
No to Delete Authors just go to Author> put your finger on it> then Tap DELETE
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
TCDNV

Thanks for trying to help Barbara1955!

I do not have a delete option when I hold down an author's name in the "Author" section of My Books. I have resync'd the Clara and it says I am up to date.

When I hold on an author's name for a longer period I do not get any reaction from the Clara. As I noted before the author page show that each author has one book but when selected it tells me that there are no books (it selects the author every time I tap the authors name).

I think that my problem is caused by my lack of having a Kobo account. I will reset my Clara to the original factory specs and go from there.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 12-15-2018, 12:21 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Lots of things don't work IF the device is Not reg.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDNV View Post
I turned off the Clara and turned it back on. On the home page it shows that in "My Books" I have six books. The I select My Books and then select "Authors" and I get five pages of authors each with one book. When I select any author with one book I get the message that says "You have no books yet".
I have to say, but that is not what I thought the first post meant. From the description, it sound like in the authors list, you had authors listed with zero as the number of books. This is completely different. That to me says the book is on the device, but there is a problem with it. And I have seen something like that, but, can't remember exactly what it was

Can you find the books in the main library list? Make sure the filter is set to "All" and go through it. If the books are listed, can you open them? And what format are they?
Quote:
Did you mean turn off the Clara or reset the Clara in your comment that I should restart?
Yes, I just meant to turn it off and on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDNV View Post
Thanks for trying to help Barbara1955!

I do not have a delete option when I hold down an author's name in the "Author" section of My Books. I have resync'd the Clara and it says I am up to date.

When I hold on an author's name for a longer period I do not get any reaction from the Clara. As I noted before the author page show that each author has one book but when selected it tells me that there are no books (it selects the author every time I tap the authors name).
That is expected. There is no function associated with the author in the author list. You can only tap them and display the books in them.
Quote:

I think that my problem is caused by my lack of having a Kobo account. I will reset my Clara to the original factory specs and go from there.
It could be the setup is incorrect. There are some ids in the user table that are used elsewhere that could be the issue. You don't need to do a factory reset, just sign out from the Kobo account. Though maybe that won't work with the setup you have done. You could just delete the database and when you disconnected it will prompt for the setup. And if you don't want to use Kobo, just use a fake email address. Kobo will not do any validation except that it looks like a valid account. And then turn WiFi off.

But, looking back at your original post, if you plan to use Overdrive, you will need to establish an account with Kobo. And Overdrive. And your library. With Kobo the email can be fake, but you need to sign into the account on the device. I think the Overdrive will need a real email address to validate it. But, I did that long enough ago that I don't remember. And your library will depend on what they do. For my local library, I had to visit them and show proof of residency.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
TCDNV

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the input! I will reset the Clara, register it correctly and go from there. I'll let you know if this plan works this afternoon.

Tom