Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #31
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

I am very sorry that is your situation.

Did you know there is a massive forum (it seems) for people who ONLY listen to music thru headphones with headphone amplifiers?

I have to shake my head. For me it seems risky behaviour.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #32
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Hello

I wonder if some people here are suffering from tinnitus, and if it
the case does it perturb you for reading books ?

Personally I've got tinnitus for three years and even if most of the time
it doesn't interfere with my reading, sometimes they become very
strong and I can't even read a magazine...
Yes, I've had tinnitus from my mid twenties. Probably from a combination of growing up in a sawmill (family business) and doing a lot of shooting with sporadic wearing of earmuffs when I was in my teens and early twenties. Classic industrial deafness, which also shows now as a loss of high frequency hearing (is annoying with speech as you can't hear sibilants well).

Tinnitus has never interfered with my reading though. Most of the time I ignore it, unless I am straining to hear.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
I am very sorry that is your situation.

Did you know there is a massive forum (it seems) for people who ONLY listen to music thru headphones with headphone amplifiers?

I have to shake my head. For me it seems risky behaviour.
very ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #34
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Resurrecting this old thread because I have got tinnitus in the last year. I have it all day every day. Must have just finally wrecked my ears listening to music with earbuds. Should have realized I'm too old for that now before it was too late. Hearing test showed high frequency hearing loss. I hear fine though otherwise. Oh well. it doesn't stop me from reading, just makes me miserable.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 04-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.
PurpleStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #35
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be an old thread, but the subject never fades.

I recall one hearing agent advise that the use of hearing aids can make hearing worse. Just think, especially before fancy types arrived, an hearing aid is an official foghorn into your eardrum. More power, then, for the modern versions that can limit noise exposure.

Sing along, or hum, to the tinnitus, it might help. After 60 years I look after mine as though it were a friend (irritating one, though).
Advert
Old 04-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #36
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It might be an old thread, but the subject never fades.

I recall one hearing agent advise that the use of hearing aids can make hearing worse. Just think, especially before fancy types arrived, an hearing aid is an official foghorn into your eardrum. More power, then, for the modern versions that can limit noise exposure.

Sing along, or hum, to the tinnitus, it might help. After 60 years I look after mine as though it were a friend (irritating one, though).
LOL I already have a foghorn in my ear, don't need a hearing aid to make more racket. I have actually done that, I go buuuuuuzzzzz right along with it sometimes. It's the high pitched screeching that really bothers me. Not to mention the tingling/numb feeling I get in my left ear several times a day.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 04-07-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #37
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
LOL I already have a foghorn in my ear, don't need a hearing aid to make more racket. I have actually done that, I go buuuuuuzzzzz right along with it sometimes. It's the high pitched screeching that really bothers me.
It might help!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #38
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It might help!
Maybe!! You've had it 60 years? Good grief, at least I won't live that long unless I live to 100 something which I doubt!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #39
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Nook, Onyx, Boyue, Kindle
I don't have tinnitus, but I do use nature sounds to nullify other sounds around me I don't like. I have a small blue-tooth type speaker. It cost about $30. I downloaded a bunch of nature sounds, loaded them onto a SD-card and stuck it in the back. Done. I now have a little nature-sound player. I find rain is by far the best sound to get rid of annoying sounds. It seems to suck them up. It seems to draw my attention and hearing away from other sounds and draws me to it. The speaker is good as I can just leave it near my ear. I'll probably get another speaker and have surround sound. Worth a shot.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #40
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I don't have tinnitus, but I do use nature sounds to nullify other sounds around me I don't like. I have a small blue-tooth type speaker. It cost about $30. I downloaded a bunch of nature sounds, loaded them onto a SD-card and stuck it in the back. Done. I now have a little nature-sound player. I find rain is by far the best sound to get rid of annoying sounds. It seems to suck them up. It seems to draw my attention and hearing away from other sounds and draws me to it. The speaker is good as I can just leave it near my ear. I'll probably get another speaker and have surround sound. Worth a shot.
Speakers too close to your ear can cause tinnitus too, be careful!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #41
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
I've had tinnitus on and off for over 50 years now. When I was in 1st grade I developed severe infections in the mastoid cavity of my right ear which required multiple surgeries and years of treatments and meds. It caused the hearing in my right ear to be about 30% of normal. The tinnitus has been around ever since, and absolutely NO remedy has EVER helped. I tried medical doctors's advice, meds, and lots of old wives tales (home remedies), and none of that BS did a darn thing to help. As far as I'm concerned all the remedies are nothing but "snake oil", which is an old term for BS cures that don't work. You will see a LOT of snake oil sold in TV commercials these days. My tinnitus is nearly always noticeable, but the loudness varies quite a bit from time to time. I also got an expensive pair of hearing aids about 10 years ago. I paid over $4,000 for those things and they did little more than annoy me. I quit wearing them after a few years and after I discovered that indeed they had weakened my already bad hearing. My hearing did recover a bit after I stopped wearing them though.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #42
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I've had tinnitus on and off for over 50 years now. When I was in 1st grade I developed severe infections in the mastoid cavity of my right ear which required multiple surgeries and years of treatments and meds. It caused the hearing in my right ear to be about 30% of normal. The tinnitus has been around ever since, and absolutely NO remedy has EVER helped. I tried medical doctors's advice, meds, and lots of old wives tales (home remedies), and none of that BS did a darn thing to help. As far as I'm concerned all the remedies are nothing but "snake oil", which is an old term for BS cures that don't work. You will see a LOT of snake oil sold in TV commercials these days. My tinnitus is nearly always noticeable, but the loudness varies quite a bit from time to time. I also got an expensive pair of hearing aids about 10 years ago. I paid over $4,000 for those things and they did little more than annoy me. I quit wearing them after a few years and after I discovered that indeed they had weakened my already bad hearing. My hearing did recover a bit after I stopped wearing them though.
As for remedies, I've been trying gingko biloba but I doubt it will help. Also taking cbd oil. Not helping with the tinnitus but maybe helping me be calmer about it.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #43
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
As for remedies, I've been trying gingko biloba but I doubt it will help. Also taking cbd oil. Not helping with the tinnitus but maybe helping me be calmer about it.
I learned the lesson a long time ago about folk remedies--they just don't work very often, if ever. I think most of the snake oil home remedies rely heavily on the placebo effect. If someone wants something to work and believes that it will, then their brain can convince them it does indeed work. But my brain just goes, "Yeah right, I call BS!"
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
I've had tinnitus for 55 years (just not old enough yet to have had it 60) starting when I was 5 years old. It got MUCH worse after a 3rd round of a medication. Tinnitus does sometimes get better, but not because you did anything but because it recovered some. When I read, I play soft music or sleep sounds to drown out the annoyance of the tinnitus. For audiobooks, I have to turn it up or put the hearing aid in (I've lost hearing beyond the tinnitus). One day I will be able to go back to over the ear headphones, but with the noise cancelling, I can't hear disabled brother if he needs help.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have tinnitus in the form of a high-pitched “electrical”-sounding tone. It doesn’t bother me when reading, but one of my other hobbies is playing the piano, and there are some specific notes on the piano that resonate with the tinnitus and sound awful, which is a bit of a nuisance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote