Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I've had tinnitus for about 15 years. Started from a combination of loud music as a teen and ibuprofen as an old fart. It gets annoying at times, but does not distract me from much of anything. Must be from all that practice as a teen listening to music on my headphones whilst reading anything I could get my hands on.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
I've had tinnitus since childhood and I've become so accustomed to it that I usually don't notice that it's there. For me, if I use headphones to listen to music even at low volumes it, the tinnitus is aggravated. I've found that if I place over-the-ear headphones just in front of my ears so that I'm actually listening through my skull that it doesn't do it so much.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Hey GeofC and others!

I feel for you, being a sufferer myself.

Try the Aire Freshener program not music.

At least give it a go! What have you got to lose?
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think I've always had it. I remember having trouble understanding what the term meant when I first came across it, because I thought it was just part of how hearing works. (And sometimes the sound I hear is real-- I can hear CRTs, for example.)

The only time it has ever bothered me was when I had a bad sinus infection and both ears were blocked, reducing hearing. Then what I had wasn't really tinnitus, but my mind trying to fill in the missing sound, just as one will sometimes "see" things in complete darkness. I didn't really mind the sounds my head came up with, but it was a little surprising to discover my brain was capable of generating swing by the Count Basie Orchestra, complete with bass line.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i am beginning to wonder whether i have it. sometimes at night i hear a very high-pitched tone, which makes me think of a noise an electronic device would make (i don't know *which* device). usually i blame the neighbors (they are after all collectively the root of all evil) and wait for them to turn off the telly and go to bed. but perhaps it is in my own ears. i have gone to a *lot* of very loud concerts without any ear protection (i have some now. i guess i'm getting old. or slightly less stupid. i bought them at the birdy nam nam concert a few months ago, and thank god for that). i usually had a sort of rushing sound in my ears after those, which was not the same as that strange high-pitched tone, but probably was not a good thing.

what is tinnitis like, exactly ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #21
shousa
Groupie

I know a factory worker whose tinnitus sounds like the machines at work. Mine is a high pitched whine. The rushing one you have, I have heard about that before.

here are some sounds - mine is very mild and unchanging pitch. Some of these frighten me.
http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_r...it_sound_like/

Anyone can experience a mild tinnitus.

I don't recommend training your brain to do this - so I recommend you never so this but....

...if you wanted to simply at night when the room is dark and there is no sound.. concentrate on the lack of sound.....should only take seconds...there it is..possibly.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0101093825.htm

Our brains are programmed by our DNA to protect ourselves and that means hearing danger.

In modern life many sounds we are programmed to hear (this is the theory) are not the same nor the same pitch. Modern sounds are deep (oversimplistic but it will do) such as music, construction, cars etc. Higher pitched sounds such as rain, running river water, the beach and particularly birds are absent or not going all the time or enough of the time.

In nature all is quiet when things are going to go bad.........as I said before some experts believe there may be the "flight or fight" thing involved in this.

Hope I am not considered to be waffling.

Last edited by shousa; 08-07-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the "high-pitched whine" one. Most of the time it's not a problem, but if I'm in a quiet room it's very noticable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #23
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
About 5 years. I get a high-pitched "whine" in my ears; like the sound from electrical equipment. It comes and goes.

Harry, I see a common factor with you starting to learn Latin 5 years ago
I always assumed in school that Latin was the root of all things evil, now i know!

cheers,
kaas,

p.s.: hope you guys get better- if that is possible
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Hey GeofC and others!

I feel for you, being a sufferer myself.

Try the Aire Freshener program not music.

At least give it a go! What have you got to lose?
That looks an interesting program, but I can't get the volume loud enough to hear anything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

what is tinnitis like, exactly ?
Zee, I don't know what these examples sound like, cause I can't get sufficient volume, but this is a link to the RNID in the UK, a charity for the deaf community...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That looks an interesting program, but I can't get the volume loud enough to hear anything.....

Zee, I don't know what these examples sound like, cause I can't get sufficient volume, but this is a link to the RNID in the UK, a charity for the deaf community...
Have you tried start/settings/control panel/sounds and audio properties - set volume to max?

Note Aire Freshener works different from other programs, while in system tray (bottom right of screen) to get a menu you need to right-click it instead of left click.

Then from Aire Freshener choose volume and put the master volume to max?

Let me know GeoffC if that works, I want to help you and others.

HarryT - I recommend you start using this at low volume levels when in a quiet room.

Last edited by shousa; 08-07-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried start/settings/control panel/sounds and audio properties - set volume to max?

Note Aire Freshener works different from other programs, while in system tray (bottom right of screen) to get a menu you need to right-click it instead of left click.

Then from Aire Freshener choose volume and put the master volume to max?

Let me know GeoffC if that works, I want to help you and others.

HarryT - I recommend you start using this at low volume levels when in a quiet room.
Och nooo, it's not a problem with the PC, it's a problem with me....
Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #27
shousa
Groupie

Oh I see........sorry.....I suppose you would need a separate amplifier and speakers in that case then?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #28
GeoffC

Quote:
Oh I see........sorry.....I suppose you would need a separate amplifier and speakers in that case then?
fog horn comes to mind...
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
fog horn comes to mind...
Oh..goodness!

Can I ask a silly question then....my hearing is not what it used to be (confirmed by a hearing test) and I was wondering as you lose your hearing over time (when I get older) if that makes listening to music less enjoyable/possible?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #30
GeoffC

Quote:
Oh..goodness!

Can I ask a silly question then....my hearing is not what it used to be (confirmed by a hearing test) and I was wondering as you lose your hearing over time (when I get older) if that makes listening to music less enjoyable/possible?
supposedly it is likely, even if only because the ear is less able to receive some of the frequencies, I think it is the higher frequencies that 'go' first.

if i need to i can use a set of bone-conduction headphones that i got from a company in south korea....the frequency range is shorter than those in audio
headphones, but at least it is better than nothing....unfortunately, for me, it is the speech range i have an irritating problem with....so music with voice is often less enjoyable, and i do miss my moody blues....i could use an amplified audio set but worry that what hearing i've got may disappear even quicker because the volume needs to be so high...