Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Cover advice needed!

Hi folks,

Somebody I know has recently given me the opinion that my book cover makes it look like a dull school text book.

Fair enough says I, come up with something better...

So they put the below image together:

I like it, because it hints more at the books contents, but you folks are the best people to ask, so is the newer cover image any good? and should I use this one instead of the below?...if so, why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Is your friend offering the cover to you free of charge? And did you already realize what that friend used for the "i" in "with"?

Assuming the answer to both questions is an unreserved "yes," I'd say go for it, because the new cover does have a certain appeal. (The old cover looks sort of like a collection of sermon notes from the seventies. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it probably wasn't exactly what you were hoping for when you designed it.)

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah...I know what it's a picture of it's pretty apt for one part of the book at least.

The comparison to a sermon book has tipped it for me...i'm changing to the new cover...
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I Love the Cover,

I'm intrigued,

I may well buy the book,

So I guess thats a vote of confidence !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I like it. Definitely is more readable at small sizes than your previous cover.

Two things that stuck out. One is that the "L" is harder to see than the other letters. (However, I did take a screen cap of your image and shrunk it a little and it still reads as an L even at smaller sizes.)

The other is that there is something about the layout that makes me not see a pause in there with the ellipsis. Maybe it's because of the tight leading (the space between lines), or the size of the top and bottom lines which de-emphasize the transition. I'm reading it as "Life with no Breaks" rather than "Life... with no Breaks."

It's possible a little more leading between the first and second lines would fix that. (Or it's possible that it doesn't matter to you.)

Camille
--
The Wife of Freedom Kindle, Smashwords.
The Adventure of Anna the Great Kindle, Smashwords.
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert